cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Transferring domain between registrars. Downtime?

Hey guys. I've been tasked with overseeing the transfer of my company's domain. Till now, a third party used to control and manage it.

I've been told that the last time they transferred domains, there was a downtime of 2 days during which the emails and website were down. I'd like to avoid downtime or minimise it as much as possible. We're transferring the domain from Tuscows to GoDaddy.

I've researched about the process of transferring and found nothing much mentioning downtime (so hopefully there shouldn't be any). As far as I can see, it seems to be a painless process.

However, I'm still a bit wary about the the whole thing, especially emails. Is there something I need to take special care of? I'm a bit lost and this is the first time I'm doing something like this. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@tarancepil7 

My recommendation is to move the DNS first to GoDaddy  - so you mirror what you have with the old provider and then point the Name Servers to GoDaddy - once you do that you can transfer the registration from TuCows

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User IV

@tarancepil7 

My recommendation is to move the DNS first to GoDaddy  - so you mirror what you have with the old provider and then point the Name Servers to GoDaddy - once you do that you can transfer the registration from TuCows

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Employee

Hello @tarancepil7:

Thank you for choosing us to host the domain! 

To ensure the best possible experience in transferring your domain to us, please record your current domain records if everything will stay the same as far as Web hosting provider and email service is concerned.  When you initiate service, Tucows may give you the ability to choose the option to keep current nameservers, etc.  If you'd like more detailed assistance in the actual domain transfer, please call our customer care department.