cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Want to obtain a domain that is taken by an inactive company.

I own a business and the domain that I want is taken by another business that was founded in '97 and appears to be inactive. The contact email address on their website can not be found and the website just looks old. It is registered at GoDaddy but there is not enough information available for me to contact them. How can I go about obtaining this domain? Sorry in advance if this is a duplicate topic but I can't find the answers I need.
4 REPLIES 4
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Want to obtain a domain that is taken by an inactive company.

@Dotcomlogic wrote:
I own a business and the domain that I want is taken by another business that was founded in '97 and appears to be inactive. The contact email address on their website can not be found and the website just looks old. It is registered at GoDaddy but there is not enough information available for me to contact them. How can I go about obtaining this domain? Sorry in advance if this is a duplicate topic but I can't find the answers I need.

@Dotcomlogic Unfortunately there is no way for you to obtain the domain unless you purchase it from the owner or if the current owner let the domain expire. If the domain has been registered since 1997 its probably safe to say that the current owner still wants it since they've renewed it for over 21 years. I would recommend trying the Godaddy Domain Buy service or attempting to reach out to the owner directly by searching the whois database for the owner here: https://www.godaddy.com/whois

--- 

Is there better information for the $69.99 service to get that Domain name wished for?

I've carried a name i'm looking to get back after allowing it to lapse

due to financial reasons. So I go to see its under GoDaddy.

I click on the service to get it back and all it says for $69.99 we'll do the

best we can. Doesnt say how though. For all I could know is that you can

say nope, they dont want to sell/letgo and you just made $69.99 from me.

$70 is $70. Can you provide more info on this please. As DotCom posted

the site has been a blank screen since I last had it 3 years ago. Someones

out to make some $$$ it seems.

What gives?

Super User II
Super User II

@picktool wrote:

Is there better information for the $69.99 service to get that Domain name wished for?

I've carried a name i'm looking to get back after allowing it to lapse

due to financial reasons. So I go to see its under GoDaddy.

I click on the service to get it back and all it says for $69.99 we'll do the

best we can. Doesnt say how though. For all I could know is that you can

say nope, they dont want to sell/letgo and you just made $69.99 from me.

$70 is $70. Can you provide more info on this please. As DotCom posted

the site has been a blank screen since I last had it 3 years ago. Someones

out to make some $$$ it seems.

What gives?

@picktool the $69 Domain Broker service initiates a dialog with the owner and a Godaddy rep. This doesn't mean the broker will be able to contact the owner nor does it mean that the owner will sell it. Another option is the domain backorder service which will attempt to register the domain if the owner fails to renew it: https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-backorder

Domain names expire every day, I personally own thousands of domains and also sell thousands of domains per year. Once the new owner has custody of the domain they are basically allowed to use it however they please as long as its legal. Have you tried contacting the owner directly using the whois database? https://www.godaddy.com/whois

----

I believe I sent an email to the email address that said to contact the admin.

Doesnt mean it will go through. I will see if it does. If not, I'll move on.

Backorder? Meh, that'll never happen because it shows value.

$70 is tough to swallow whereas the odds could be against you.

I have to think about this if I really want to spend $70.

Thanks for your reply though!