cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website builder to WordPress

My client currently has a Website Design Service - Hosting plan and used the godaddy website builder to create a website which is currently  live.  I am looking at switching him over a Deluxe Hosting Plan and build a site within wordpress.  Want to use the same domain name they currently have with the old plan.  Any ideas, thoughts, or steps on how to make that happen once I purchase the hosting plan?  

4 REPLIES 4
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Website builder to WordPress

Hello @Senseij and congratulations on a new client. It sounds like your client is following on what I feel is the natural progression. I feel like you are fortunate in that your client already has their service with GoDaddy. I have found GoDaddy to be wonderful in assisting in such a change/migration.

I would pull the information from the existing website and order the appropriate hosting plan. If you speak to a GoDaddy representative there may be some credit you can get for the remainder of the existing plan? (Maybe) From there I'd just build a WordPress website and proceed as normal. Pointing the current domain to the new hosting should prove a problem at all.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Hello,

My hosting with GoDaddy ends in August. I'd like to continue with GoDaddy but switch from website builder to Wordpress. The reason: I need to create a site that will allow me to automatically create a repository of videos, organized chronologically. And I also want to keep my web address (treehouserocks.com) and utilize Wordpress templates to build it.

Would you please point me in the direction of your online instructions on how to do that?

Thank you in advance.

Shawn

TreehouseRocks
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Hey @ShawnMBoyd, what you are doing is fairly common. I'd start by picking the WordPress plan you would like. I find that having content available is easier when creating a new website. After I had my new WordPress website up I'd then cancel my Website Builder plan and perhaps receive a GoDaddy credit for the unused time. 

On another note great radio voice @ShawnMBoyd! I don't know what your experience is but I find GoDaddy Managed WordPress to be wonderful for first time WordPress users. Come back and let us know how it all turned out. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Thanks very much for the quick reply... and the kind words. I'll work on this and update the thread when appropriate. 

Take care

shawn

TreehouseRocks