cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

abuse@godaddy.com as my admin contact?

This is what the note I get when I try to transfer my domain to another registrar:

"An email has been sent to the email address abuse@godaddy.com which is listed as the Admin Contact for the domain ---------.com. This email contains a Verification Code that will help ensure that you are the owner of the domain name. The transfer cannot proceed without this code (this is a formal requirement from ICANN). This is separate from the EPP Authorization code. Once you have obtained the code..." 
No problem with EPP Authorization code. I have talked with support form both registrars, but i am still stuck after 2 days. Is this normal? I really need to move on.

Thank you for any helpful advice. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: abuse@godaddy.com as my admin contact?

I too am having this problem.

Same problem. 

I spoke with Tech Support at GoDaddy. He told me that they have my email so I clicked yes I do have access to abuse@godaddy and my transfer went through. 

I was sent the code to my address, so be sure that happens or you can call Tech Support and they can email the code.

Hope this helps you.

Hi @ManuG, thanks for posting.

It sounds like the email you are referring to was sent to you by the registrar you are trying to transfer to. This can sometimes happen if the registrar you're attempting to transfer to does not support new GDPR transfer practices. Under GDPR policies, email addresses are not listed on public whois lookups for domains protected by GDPR. The registrar you are attempting to transfer to seems to default to the GoDaddy abuse email address.

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

I'm having the same issue. 

So what can we do?

First, you need to remove the privacy protection on your domain, this can be done in Domains > manage.

That way your admin email is now public if someone searches for it. Because recall WHOIS has YOUR admin email but privacy protects that.

Then on the transfer page check yes you have access to your admin email even though it says abuse@godaddy.

Make sure you have the code from GoDaddy.

Then follow steps provided by the new registrar.

Hope this helps. I am NOT an expert, just figured out how to get my domain to transfer.

Solution

Hi @Madison17, @usermulti.

I suggest double checking with GoDaddy Support to ensure that there's no outstanding issues with your domain.

Then, if the registrar you are attempting to transfer to cannot complete the transfer because they need to send you an email, you will need to follow up with them to see if they have an alternate way to proceed with the transfer, either by sending the email to a different email address or by verifying the transfer some other way. If they don't, their current transfer process might not work correctly with current GDPR polices. If you are not in Europe and not subject to GDPR policies, there might be something else that would need to be reviewed.

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status