• GoCentral | Website Builder
  • GoCentral | Website Builder

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Helper I

A Strong Case to AVOID Go Daddy for sellling your items...

I put this in the GoCentral topic even though my instance is with the "online store" product.  I just got off the phone with a rep, who told me that the problem with the search function affects both the same. 

So, why avoid godaddy?  Do you want to make money? Make sales?  You spent money, maybe on social media, to market your products and/or your site, so you want those customers to find what they are looking for, right?  YES!   So don't use Godaddy.  Their search algorithm is **bleep**.  I have about 40 domains, 2 hosted on GoDaddy currently.  All my new sites I migrate to other hosts, NOT godaddy.

So, what's the problem?  SEARCH!!!   Your customers, maybe a high %, may not find your items, then leave!  Is it good customer service if your customers can't find what they're looking for?  Nope

Example Possible Titles (that you may use for your listings):

100% Cotton Extra Large T Shirt

or

Extra Large T Shirt 100% Cotton

or

100% Cotton T Shirt Extra Large

Which one should you use?  Well, all are acceptable, and you might even have a mix of how you've written your titles if you have a lot of items in your shop.  Maybe they're not all the same. 

The problem with GD is that if the customer does not type into search EXACTLY what is in your title, in the correct order, then the search will return, "zero items found".  Hell yeah!  That's effing awesome!

So example:

Title: 100% cotton extra large t shirt

Customer types into search:  "cotton t shirt"

Result:  Zero items found.

Your title has the words "extra large" between cotton and t shirt, and their developers were lazy as **bleep**, and didn't account for this, so YOU lose money.   It is time now for GoDaddy to lose money.  I have waited for 3 years for this to change and be rectified, but they haven't.  I want to help as many people as I can, so you know.  Run, run, run, far away.  This issue will never get fixed and it's a "real" problem.   If you try to search on ebay, amazon, etsy, etc, and put your search terms in any order or combination, it's not a problem and they will return items that match your criteria. 

DoDiddy does not fix this issue.

Example 2 same thing

Product title:  Extra large t shirt 100% cotton

Customer search:  "cotton t shirt"

Result: "zero items found"

How about

title:  Paisley silk necktie

customer search:  Paisley tie or paisley necktie

result:  "zero items found"

why?  GoDaddy search is stupid, and the word "silk" in the title throws it off.

Or

Title:  Size 12 Red Cowboy Boots

Customer:  "Size 12 Boots" or Size 12 Cowboy Boots"

Result:  Zero items found

or

Title:  Red Cowboy Boots Size 12

Customer:  "Red Boots"

Result:  "zero items found"

Did you all know this?  If you didn't you should.  If you're not making money, this is a serious search problem.  You cannot predict with accuracy what your customers will enter into search.  If they just want to see all your red boots, and they type "red boots".  But all your titles have another word between red and boots, like red cowboy boots, red hiking boots, red dress boots.    The search result will be "zero items found.

It is terrible.  Go daddy doesn't care about my 30+ domains, my 2 hosted sites, the other sites that I told them I chose another host for, and that I would be leaving if they didn't improve/fix this problem. 

The rep contacted a "level 2 tech hourly guy".  He said "coast is clear, everything is working as it should".

Then he contacted a "lead".  Same answer came back.  This is how it was intended.  Only an idiot would intend it to be like this.  

You can clearly see, that the more descriptive you try to make your titles, the worse your search will be.  this means your titles have to be garbage, and the customer will not know what the product is, until they click on it and go in and read each description.  But, a total "no no", if any of you, like me, have a large inventory. 

Look, if you're selling 6 different kinds of coffee and 6 different kinds of tea, then go for it.  Go Daddy is perfect for you to do this while you keep your day job.

But if it's a business, and your full time job, and you have many products,  There is nothing worse that this crappy "intended" search.  Can anybody tell me why they didn't "intend" for the search to actually work better?

45 REPLIES 45
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I

Re: A Strong Case to AVOID Go Daddy for sellling your items...

Just to be clear what you saying is that on your GoDaddy Online Store website people cannot search by partial terms @scottdaddy? I've not specifically seen an issue like that on any of the Website Builder, GoCentral or online store website. I was just looking at at a website built using Website Builder with a store (that I did not configure) and I can't find that behavior in that website or any of the websites I've tried. I'm wondering if there is something configured improperly? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Helper V

Well, I would like to add I am also having "search" issues. I have contacted GoDaddy numerous times about it and they say they will look into it. It is devastating. I sell mainly jewelry and it does not recognized the "plural" of any products!!

Example:

Customer search: "rings"

Result: 0

The only way it will show the product is if they type in the word "ring"

Same for EVERY OTHER PRODUCT!

Customer search: "bracelets"

Result: 0

They must type in the word bracelet

WHO ON EARTH TYPES IN THE SINGULAR WHEN THEY WANT TO SEE ALL THE RINGS??

That's certainly NOT how I shop, nor anyone else I know. This deficiency is going to decimate my business.

PLEASE, GoDaddy, get this fixed and pronto!

Helper I

Hi Hopeful,

Thank you for your support.  Yes, exactly.   I am the original poster.  I think most customers don't know.  believe it or not, I don't think they ever think to check their website's functionality from the customer side, the actual website.   I believe Godiddy doesn't really care.  I've reported this for a few years.   Each time, each new rep, they act like they've never heard of this before.  And I'm inclined to believe that it's true, nobody calls/complains, or at least not enough.  So, they're not even aware of the issue, because it's "not a big deal".   I bet something like 98% of websites are semi started, half abandoned crap.  I'm sure GD knows the exact % of how many of their websites are "really" put into use on a serious level.   So, you've got a lot of people, with regular jobs who start a website, and never get it going, never finish, never transition to independence.  That's what GD wants.  To them, I think it's the same business model as gym memberships.  Get as many people as you can, 99% of the people won't actually use the product.   Then those of us that do, we're stuck with a half developed or under developed platform.  And then you know what they try to do?  They try to upsell me to wordpress.  Oh, wordpress is the answer to all my problems.  I guess since they can't make their product work.  And you know what?  If I do change to wordpress, it's not going to be with GD, that's for sure!   Why would I give them more business for causing all these headaches and problems?  It's much more difficult to setup.  The themes don't work as simple as plug and play as the website builder and online store.   One of the biggest issues with wordpress, (as I've tried it)  is that the photo box in themes (to put a photo like a header image)  It will tell you what size photo you need, like 1920 x 720, or something like that.  Then you upload a photo of the proper size and see a preview of your website with the photo, and the photo was cut off or doesn't fit.  It's a pain in the ass. Which is why there are a bunch of people on fiverr who do wordpress sites.  They have time to tweak it and set it up.

I know exactly what you're saying.   You have a listing like:

Beautiful blue sapphire and diamond bracelet   (of course, bracelet)

and the customer goes to the website and says, "hmm, let me see what kind of bracelets they have" (all)

So, the customer types "bracelets" into the search box.

Results found:  zero

Brilliant isn't it?  You're right, this is not how search is supposed to work.  If you do that on Ebay, or Amazon, or Etsy, you will get results.  I think even shopify would be fine.  And shopify has a TON of different features and add ons that GD doesn't even compete with there.  GD made a mistake, or they paid $5/hour for the development of this crap, and we get to eat it.   They'll change the font and color of their "seller side" editing area, and a bunch of small trinkets that is just lipstick on a pig.  They won't do the obvious and change the biggest problem at all.  Their lousy search algorithm. 

I wish you the best.  Maybe you and I are getting half the sales we should be getting.  Spend all that money on marketing, social media, all that time and effort, only to have customers visit and leave.  Then they blame "us" not GD for our shi tty website .

Helper I

One more thing hopeful

How about if you try and search as I explained in my problem?

So, your listing might be

Beautiful vintage blue sapphire and diamond  bracelet

What if the customer types into search

"vintage bracelet"

Does anything come back?

My guess is no.  Because the word "vintage" and "bracelet" are not together in the title.  Their search algorithm is too stupid to work properly. 

Helper I

Hi rd,

Sorry, I thought I was pretty clear and very detailed.  But, just to be more clear it is like this:

Title:  Beautiful vintage blue sapphire and diamond bracelet.

Customer comes to website....  they want to see "vintage bracelets"

So, the customer types, "vintage bracelets"  into search. 

Zero results found.

The above is a problem for 2 reasons, the first, as hopeful explained in her reply is that the title contains the word bracelet, not bracelets.  And GD used a stupid algorithm and can't understand plurals.  (add s)

The second, which is my problem, is that the words "vintage and bracelet" are not connected in the title, there are words between them.  GD search will only return if the words are typed EXACTLY in the order as the title.  Which, is very stupid indeed.

Helper I

I have another specific example from my own site.

As I said, if the words are not back to back, then search will return nothing.   However, it seems that if there is a number between the words, then it works, only if it's a number value.

For example, my title:

Vintage style hippie 70's van

If I search 70's van, I get the correct result

If I search hippie van, I get the correct result. (because they're separated by the number value 70's)

If I search, "vintage van"....no results found

If I search "vintage hippie van".... no results found.

So, it ONLY works if the words are together, back to back, AND if they are separated by a numerical value, it also seems to work.  But NOT if separated by any other words.

Super User I Super User I
    Super User I

To be clear @scottdaddy, just because it is not my experience doesn't mean that it is not your experience. All issues are issues and your frustration appears valid? If I saw that kind of break in search I would find it curious as well. It sounds unbelievable, maybe that's why I can't wrap my head around it? My mind thinks "That's not how search should work" and it sounds like I'm giving you the same reaction that GoDaddy customer service does? I wish that I could advise you better or offer you a solution but I do not experience this issue as you and @Hopeful have.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this concern with us. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll look into this concern immediately and try to address this soon. Please stay tuned.

Thanks for your patience,

Mohan Kumaresh

Product Manager, Online stores

Helper V

My background is IT. Part of my job was to find and report bugs in new software roll-outs. I have tested this problem extensively and I can state confidently that this search problem exists. IF you are getting the correct result when searching for "bracelets", for example, when the word bracelet (singular) is in the title, it is ONLY because the plural word "bracelets" is somewhere in the body copy. THIS IS A FALSE POSITIVE. It's keying off the body copy, not the title. It is NOT programmed to find it from the title, because the title only says "silver bracelet", singular, or something of that nature.

So, if the word is EXACT in the title to the word you are searching, fine. It will be found. If it is a plural or the product title, it will NOT. Since most people use the plural when wanting to see all products of a certain kind, nearly none of my products are being found in the search results.

I have reported it, again, to GoDaddy. We'll see what happens....

Helper I

That's great, thanks for reporting it again.  It seems a GD official has posted here finally.  I will work hard to bring attention to this issue to that GD takes us seriously.   The guy on the phone, told me that the search is supposed to only go off of the title I think. 

On Etsy, when you enter your 13 available keywords, searching on Etsy will deliver results from both the title and any keywords you have listed.   GD does not deliver results based off the meta keywords for web searching, which I don't expect.  The number one problem is the title, your plural situation is spot on.  The title should return results regardless of the order of the words.   As in "professional diver series", or "professional series diver".  As it is now, only one of those will return a result and that's if it matches what the customer entered into search.  If it's crossed, "no results found". 

I hope that GD tech gets this sorted, I really don't want to re-enter my items on another platform and start over - so much work, I have over 1000 items.  But it's a must if the search is this bad.   Currently, if I have 10 of the same kind of items, that vary,  I'll try to write the title as many different ways as possible so that no matter what the customer types, at least one item will appear.   Of course this is less than ideal, and you can't remember all the other ways you already wrote it to avoid them.  Should be able to make one title that is the best worded, and copy it over and over if their search worked correctly.   

Fingers crossed.   I'd be happy to assist further if one of their people reached out to me specifically for examples on my site, so they understand completely.  Nobody has yet. 

Helper V

Thank you, Mohan, for addressing this after I explained further. I should also point out that the algorithm for searching "rings" is not functioning correctly. There is nothing to filter out "earrings", so every time I search rings, the only search results I get are earrings because the "s" is on the word "ring". A proper algorithm should address this.

Helper I

Hello Mohan,

Thank you, I really hope you fix it and it's not lip service.  I'm assuming it's not, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt where everyone else has failed.  I've been told every time that it's working as intended.  Which means it's crap. 

If you want to reach out to me for further understanding, I'm available.  If you need specific examples from my website.  I haven't used my own website here for obvious reasons, but my examples are exactly the same as what happens on my site. 

Like "red mens shoe"  (if that's the title)

and customer searches, "red shoe", nothing will come up because of the word mens between.

Or if I make the title different, like "mens red shoe",

then if the customer types "mens shoe", nothing will return because red is in the middle. 

Of course titles should be as descriptive as possible, and have adjectives before the noun, like color, size, new, old, vintage, etc.   But if you do use terms like these, in inhibits search.  I mean really, what am I going to put in the title?  Just "shoe / shoes"?  ...and nothing else?

Thanks in advance for your help.  Fingers crossed.

Helper I

Hi Hopeful,

I have a customer on etsy named hopeful.  I keep wondering if it's you?  Probably not.  I totally understand your example though.

you have listings for earrings

and you have listings for "womens sapphire ring"  (for example)

Customer wants to see all the rings you have, so they type, "rings', and they get earrings because the ring listings don't have an s, but all the earrings listings are words say "earrings", which has "rings" in it. 

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but if I can help in anyway to explain it with my reply, then it's worthwhile.  I know how difficult it is to get them to look at the problem.  I know, been a long time 

Helper V

Hi scottdaddy,

No, the other person on etsy is not me. Just the "handle" I'm using. But thanks for your effort and assistance in explaining this issue further. I am encouraged that these issues will now be corrected. Smiley Happy

Helper I

Hi there hopeful..

So, have you seen anything from this Godaddy dude who was supposed to be looking into this?  The guy swoops in and says he's going to check it out, and never comes back.   I bet he's like all the other people I've talked to on the phone, they just go and check with someone else, who then looks at a list somewhere of current issues, and sees that everything is "working properly" and left it at that.   These are the thickest people I've ever met outside of a 3rd world country.   They don't seem to understand that although it is "working as developed" it was developed wrong.  And then they can't fix it, probably needs very high level approval to rewrite or change the search algorithm and it's not in the 2018 budget, nor was it in the 2017 budget nor the 2016 budget.  I guess they don't get enough subscribers to make fixing it worthwhile?  I know they do, but they're all mostly newbie part time sellers with ft jobs and they have no idea what they're doing.   Heck, if I knew then what I knew now, I wouldn't have ever used any of these Godaddy concoctions.  Even Godaddy recommends wordpress all the time on the phone, I guess that shows where their faith really lies?  This is what they want, the money from the first website, then switch to wordpress and stay with them, so they get more money.   Don't you feel like if you have to switch to wordpress to get it done right, that you wouldn't stay with Godaddy?    That's how I feel, if they're incompetence causes me to switch to another product, why would I reward them further?  I've already got about 40 or so domains that I've purchased with GD.  Why give them more when they can't provide a properly working product.   Sorry for the rant but now I'm getting really angry.   Maybe it's time for a youtube video, and pay to have it promoted.

Helper I

Hello Mohan,

What the heck is going on?  After 3 weeks, you've done nothing?  Gotten nothing fixed?  I see Godaddy had the audacity to change my "orders' screen for no particular reason other than to just make it look different, but you can't actually fix this crappy search algorithm?  Where is the time and money going?  Into the orders screen to make it look different?  Where are the priorities?  Mark my words, I'm not a big, "blogger, social media" kinda guy, but I'm getting angry.  I am relentless, if you haven't figured that out already.  I will do whatever it takes to get this fixed, or you will close my account and make me leave, or I will leave and go somewhere else.  My next step is to created a consumer warning, either text or video, maybe both, and pay a little bit of money to promote it, so that everybody sees it.  I feel it's important to warn people about products that are potentially harmful or that dn't perform as a consumer might expect.  Your company is underperforming in this area, in a BIG way.   I'm ready to take the gloves off.  I can move my site tomorrow if I need to. 

Helper V

@scottdaddy - I'm sorry to report that I haven't heard a peep. I'm with ya, they seem to be ignoring this issue. This has been an issue for years, not just with GoCentral Store. I really had hopes that the fact that the search feature DOES NOT WORK would be corrected with the new product. I have thousands of hours into my websites (past and present), and still, nothing has been done. For my products, nearly all the searches comes up with 0 results because people don't search "bracelet" when they want to see all bracelets, for example. It has rendered my store virtually worthless. They tried to steer me towards Word Press too, but I didn't want to pay for them to manage something that's been cobbled together from umpteen different places when they can't even manage their own product. No doubt when problems arise it will be the other guy's fault. I'm like you, if they can't fix their mistakes, I will have to go elsewhere.

Helper I

Oh, what a disappointment.  I'm sorry to hear that.  They should change their name to "GoClowns".  LOL.   I thought of the issue again because I noticed the layout of my order screen had been changed, nothing was wrong with it before, I guess they just thought they wanted to make it look different.   And I thought, "why are they changing stuff that is totally not important rather than fixing something that is important".  So I got back on here.  They don't care, and when I talk to them on the phone the sort of act like, "yeah, everything is fine, that's how it's supposed to work".  But it's not.  I guess our title should be only 1 word, then play a game that if the customer can guess what the 1 word title is, we win!  If not, we lose!  I took a little C programming about 4 years ago, and I'm not going to claim I understand or can program in anyway.  But from what I remember about code, for your problem, there would have to be some kind of variable or something that attaches to each word like, searchterm+s, or something like that to indicate that the customer input could be accepted as bracelet or bracelets, and that code would have to be allowed attached to any search term.  It's not rocket science, but it is too hard for GoGoofy.  What kind of name is GoDaddy anyway?  What a shellacking we're taking.

Helper I

Also, what we need are other people on here.  I don't want to offend "too many" other people, but it blows my mind how many people must have sites and they don't really understand what is going on when a customer enters their site and how their search is not resulting in acceptable outcomes. 

Product Team
    Product Team

Hi All.

We understand the critical need to have right search functionality on the online store, so your customer can find the right product quickly.  Sorry for the inconvenience to your customers and to you.  Here's our plan to address this situation, 

1. As a quick fix, we'll update existing search technology to handle additional use cases

2. In parallel,  we plan to introduce new search technology that is robust and addresses all your search needs. 

We take your feedback seriously and work diligently to address your concerns.  I'll keep you posted on our progress. 

Thank you for your patience,

Mohan Kumaresh,

Helper I

Hello Mohan,

Just thinking about you.   Woke up and saw your message.   Well, that sounds like good news.  Can you tell us when this immediate fix should be online?   Also, please let me know now if there is any possibility that you don't understand the issues we are both having.  For hopeful, her items won't return when a customer adds an "s" to a word.  Like customer enters "rings" into search and gets no ring merchandise because the titles shouldn't be plural, (but customer was hoping to see all rings)  the title for a ring would just be "beautiful turquoise and silver ring" or something like that. 

For me, it's the order of the words in the title, and if there are any words between the searched  term, then it will return no results.  As an example, a title might say, "red outdoor hiking boots".  The customer wants to see all red boots for example, so they enter "red boots" into search, and it will return NO RESULTS, because there are words in the title between red and boots.  Or even the same example if the customer searched for "outdoor boots" it would return no results.   Or, if the customer entered "red hiking boots", it would return no results because the word outdoor is in the title and that affects the search with GD algorithm.   Clearly, on all other e commerce platforms, if a customer entered "red hiking boots" into search my product would show because those words are in the title, having nothing to do with the order/placement/inclusion or otherwise of other terms. 

Thank you,

Scott

Helper I

Dude,

You sent this update over a month ago.  I replied to you a month ago and asked about the timeframe.  I've never received a reply and there have been no further updates.  What's going on???

Helper I

Hi Hopeful,

This guy Mohan sent a "solution" over a month ago.  I replied to him immediately and asked about implementation timeframe.  It's been a month or longer and he's never replied?  Drop the ball?  Have you noticed a change in your sites search performance?  Any word from GD?

Cheers and have a nice week,

Scott

Helper V

@scottdaddy  No, the problem still exists. I am very frustrated. I have reached out to the community managers again to see what they can find out but have not heard back yet. Pretty much everything hinges on them getting this up and working properly. There have been many sleepless night over this. Let's hope they come through.

Helper V

@ProdMgr_OLS  ANOTHER week has passed. We need answers and an update. When is this HUGE issue going to be fixed???

Helper I

Probably never, that's been my experience.  Been a few years already, why would they change it now?  Before they just ignored it and played dumb, but now that they proposed a solution, it shows they identified the problem finally (from 2 people), and they made promises but didn't execute (again).  Now they're dishonest?  (or just don't care?)  Which is it?  Incompetence or indifference?

This is a huge issue and unless they are going to run my store for no cost until the search is fixed then I will be leaving.  I am looking at Weebly right now to see how it works.  I have over 1500 items and it will be a lot of work to move, but I am ready to do it as Go-Daddy does not seem to care.  Also Weebly is cheaper by 30%

I just tried the search in my store and instead of no results I now get 21 pages.  Better than before by far but it could still use some minor refinement.  I do prefer this over no results though.

Helper V

@grantscards  There is absolutely no change to my store. I've checked and rechecked. Still getting wrong results (earrings when someone searches rings) or no results because the title does not have the plural form of the word.

Helper I

I'm with you hopeful!  Absolutely no change for me either.  Nothing, not in any way, shape or form.  Who are these people that said they would implement a short term fix?  For what?  When?  They haven't gotten back to us either.  I think it's time to start the paid facebook campaign. 

Helper I

Rubbish here, nothing different, in any way.  Absolutely the same.  You're new on this thread, why don't you take a moment and describe the problem you were having, that is fixed now.  What exactly was happening?

Godaddy support on this has been crapola.  They don't care.

Helper I

Are you guys slackin' or what?  Your message 2 months ago mentioned a "quick fix".  You call this quick?  Are you guys out of money?  What's going on?  You have not replied to any of us since that day.  You call this taking customer concerns seriously?  Really?  To you this is "taking it seriously"?  So, a company that doesn't take it seriously, how long would indicate that?  Someone saying a quick fix, yet taking maybe 6 months or more, or no fix at all?  Would that be a definition of a company that isn't taking customer service seriously?

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @scottdaddy@Hopeful. Sorry to see you are still having problems with this. Could you provide the link for your website where you're having the problem? I'd like to take a closer look. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    Helper I

Wow,  you guys don't understand any of the messages that hopeful or myself have posted?   I've posted exact situations many times, and I don't know hopeful, but I totally understand her problem.  Any job openings?  Maybe we should work there?  Liaise between customers "real language" and technical people?

I'd love to provide my site, but  I don't want to post my website in this forum for all to see. 

Thanks

Hi

All I ever got when testing the search was no results, then it suddenly switched to over 21 pages of random results.  My subscription was up and I am moving away from godaddy. They lost this customer

Community Manager
    Community Manager

@scottdaddy I definitely understand what you're saying. However, in order to pass this on in an effective manner and get any kind of attention for it, I'd have to be able to duplicate the issue. I was not able to do so with a test environment, so getting specific examples directly from those that are seeing the problem is the next best thing. Another reason for live examples is to make sure we're all talking about the same thing. We've had a few different variations of our online store products, so knowing for sure which one(s) are having the problem would help. If you want, you can send me the link to your store via private message. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    New

When was the switch?

New

WOW!  This is not good.  Thank you for all the information, I was getting ready to buy a site for 5 years because the research I did said GoDaddy was in the top 5 host/sites to use.  I guess I need to keep looking!  Thank you again for taking the time to let us all know about this issue.

LexC

I just spent some time helping a friend create a website here, so  am miffed that there's no efficient search capapbility.  I found this thread trying to ask how to get my inventory zero to be editable to a positive number.  Now that seems like it won't make a difference.  So maybe I will gothe Etsy route in the long term and just use this site for a month so I can test its search ability  I only have a few dozen items though.  But Id hate to lose a sale because the search feature is too boolean and not intuitive.

Helper V

@JesseW @scottdaddy This search feature is STILL not functioning in the GoCentral Store. It is CRITICAL to be able to search our products. Please let us know when this will be solved. Thanks.

I haven't gotten to the bottom of this thread yet, but how could GoDaddy need more examples? It's a bug stratight out of the box. No configuration necessary...

Also, I want my readers to be able to search products AND blogs. Have not yet found how to accomplish this.

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Everyone. Thanks for your patience with this issue. I've done some testing myself and wanted to clarify what is and what isn't an issue currently. 

As the product is now, search results for products will look at both the title and description of an item. It will only find words that don't in one place or the other. However, if a part of the word is searched, it will find a result. For example, if you have a Mystery Box item and someone searches for "mystery", they would find it. However, if they searched for "boxes" or "mystery boxes", they would not because that term isn't in the title or description. Alternatively, if the product was called "mystery boxes", a search for either "box" or "mystery box" would produce a positive result because both words are present, even if it's not the full word. If anyone has evidence to the contrary, I'd be more than happy to take a look at it. 

I'm going to get this in front of our product team again to see if we can get an update from them. Please keep in mind that this product is frequently updated and improved and has been since it's launch. Improvements and new features are added based on what the product team thinks will provide the best benefit for our customers. I know this issue was brought up over a year ago, but I just want to highlight that the team has been hard at work improving the product, even if this particular issue hasn't made it to the top of their list yet. 

Helper I

Hello,
    I'm the OP of this topic. I haven't tested my site for my issue in a long time, ( i gave up as it has been a very long time ) so I just thought I'd give it a try based on recent added comments. My original problem was as follows: Title example, "red cowboy boots" and if the customer types "red boots" in the search box, it would return "no items found" (this sucks) It can't seem to omit words that come between search words. In cases where the title needs and should be specific and descriptive, it's a real problem. Certainly a customer might just want to see all the "red boots" available. Then I'd have to make a stupid and unprofessional title that would say "red cowboy boots red boots" and type words in a couple different orders so it can be found.

Anyway, I just tried several examples from my site and I found some that worked and some didn't . In other words, sometimes "red boots" showed results even though the title said "red cowboy boots". And other times it didn't. Based on what the Godaddy employee just commented, that search was looking at titles and descriptions, I checked my description. Sure enough, the time when it worked, "red boots" showed a result even though the title said "red cowboy boots" is because in the description somewhere I had written "red boots".

It would appear in the current iteration of the stores development to get this right, the solution would be as follows. Write a good title that is professional and makes sense. Then, put any combination or order of words that you want (including plural forms) to be found in the description somewhere. Is this correct? So, I should go to all my items and where there are very descriptive titles, like "steel toe work boots", and the customer might type "steel toe boots" (nothing will be found) but somewhere in the description I should write the phrase "steel toe boots" and then my product will be found in either case. Yes?

There was another woman with an issue similar to what the godaddy rep said with his "mystery box" example. The woman was selling jewelry. Naturally her title might say, "Beautiful 10ct. diamond wedding band", but a customer looking for wedding bands in general might likely just type, "wedding bands". (proper plural language). Yet her site was returning no results either. As the Godaddy rep stated, it can search for partial words but cannot find with additional letters added.

This might still be something to get right. The search function is one of the most important and basic elements of any venue be it ebay, Amazon, etsy, etc. That woman might want to put in her description something like, "we have the most beautiful wedding bands" and then her problem would be solved too as her alternative search options are in the description.

Does all this sound right?
    Product Team
    Product Team
    Solution

Hi, 

Thanks for raising your concern around search capability on storefront.  Apologies for the inconvenience.  Current search technology has limitations and we are evaluating to replace it with a robust one that you cater better to your customer needed. Improving the search experience on the storefront is priority item on our roadmap and we hope to get to this soon.  Please stay tuned.

Thanks for your patience,

Mohan Kumaresh

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Thanks for the update @ProdMgr_OLS!

@scottdaddy Yes. It sounds like you've got a good handle on how the system currently works. I'm no developer but I think it looks at the entire search query as a string when more than one word is used. That's why searching for something like "ring" would find results for ring and rings but a search for "diamond ring" would only work if that exact phrase was used in the product name or description. Unfortunately, the same search method could also find unrelated words. So if someone searched for "lock" it would find block, clock, etc.