• GoCentral | Website Builder

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    VeriBreed
    Novice

Can't add text links in GoCentral. Why do I want to pay for this service?

Every couple of years I come back to GoDaddy to see if they've got it right. Well, tonight I was sure they had. The ease of using GoCentral was exactly what I was looking for. 

And then I needed to make a page where some of the text would take the user to another page in my site. And I apparently can't do that. WTH, GoDaddy? For a company who has been doing this for YEARS you'd think you had gotten it together by now. The ability to put text links into a website is like the most basic of all basic. How in the heck can you overlook that? And furthermore, WHY would I want to pay for a service that doesn't allow me to do this?

I'm literally baffled. There is no other hosting company on the planet that doesn't allow this. 

25 REPLIES 25
    Pro Community Founder Artisan Pro Community Founder Artisan
    Pro Community Founder Artisan

Re: Can't add text links in GoCentral. Why do I want to pay for this service?

The buttons on the right of the formatting toolbar should be link and unlink.

VeriBreed
    Novice

godaddy.jpg

The link button is grayed out and can't be used.

Highlight the text you want to use as a link and click the add link button, if you need to remove a link highlight it and click remove link.

Hopeful
    Artisan

The method offered by Nate will allow you to link to another page. There is no way to link to another section on the same page, however.

@Hopeful  I've found a way to link to specific sections but it is definitely not elegant.

Though you can not create your own IDs, each section has an ID auto-generated.  On a published page right-click in the blank space within the section but above the text.  Select "Inspect Element" and you'll get a Developer Tools window with the code.  Directly above the line that is highlighted you can find the ID.

<div id="1234...." ....

Now you'll need the full url to the page, a hashtag, and everything inside the quotation marks as such..

http://www.yourdomain.com/pagename.html#1234....

While I agree this is far from how it should be, ehhhh it works lol.  I don't really get the appeal to this program but some people love it.  Test everything you may need in the free trial, if you find it lacking I wouldn't wait around for someday...

Hopeful
    Artisan

Thank you for offering that, Nate. I'm anxious to give it a try. I'm not sure how it works without setting an anchor point, do you know?

### Note this is not instructions for GoCentral ###

@Hopeful wrote:

I'm not sure how it works without setting an anchor point, do you know?

Yes, the old method of creating an additional element for a named anchor is obsolete.  The current spec is to target an id, which can be used with just about any element.

The old way-

<div>
    	<a name="example"></a>
    	<h2>Headline</h2>
    	<p>Paragraph</p>
    </div>

The new way-

<div id="example">
    	<h2>Headline</h2>
    	<p>Paragraph</p>
    </div>

Though creating the link text hasn't changed-

<a href="#example">Jump to Example</a>

LarryKarene
    Apprentice

This is baffling.  I suppose I could add a line of html code with an href to my text.  However, all I want to do is add a PDF (or other doc) as a link to the text.  Is this feature missing?  Where do I find that in GoCentral Business Plus tools?  I used to use Business Website Builder, and there was no problem linking text to a PDF.link example to text.png

There is a Files section that can be added to a page.

LarryKarene
    Apprentice

Right.  Unfortunately, there is no easy way to link the file to the content text.

First, you create a “Section” of downloads for your files.  15, if you like.  Once downloaded, look for the URL of the file by hovering over the file name and copy it.

Second, set up the text as a hyperlink, and paste the PDF’s URL into the hyperlink field.

Third, delete the Downloads section, because what website user wants to see all of the files, especially if you’re updating these weekly?

This should either be reported as a bug, or at the very least a level one enhancement.  The PDF hyperlink via text feature, among others, was present in a previous version of the GoDaddy business website builder.

An inelegant way to make this work, but it’s doable.

Hopeful
    Artisan

@Nate Well, I'm confused. The original question to this thread is "how to I add text links to GoCentral". You provided an example and then a second. In the second example, you say it doesn't work in GoCentral. Since this is the GoCentral / Web Builder 7 portion of the Community, why is your answer here? What product does your answer work with?

@HopefulMy first reply to you was how to create a link to a specific section using GoCentral.  After that you asked how it works and I gave an explanation of the underlying code.  I am sorry for the confusion but I added the note after it seemed the explanation of HTML spec may be taken out of context as instructions for GoCentral.  Custom HTML is inserted in the page using an iframe, which you can think of like an "isolation chamber".  So you wouldn't be able to add the needed HTML, rather you've got to work with the existing HTML that GoCentral creates.

@LarryKareneHaha, I was going to post the same workaround for you.  Though I am not sure if removing the Files section would eventually delete them from the server.  Let me know how it works out for you.

Hopeful
    Artisan

@Nate  Thank you for the clarification. So the first example will achieve what I want, you are saying. I tried to follow the steps (right click and copy) but because I have Firebug installed, so I'm getting a different window than most. I think I've identified the div on the left large window in Firebug, however, it is incredibly long. When I try to highlight it to copy and paste it, it doesn't let me. How do I do that?

Also, just to verify my understanding of your second example, you state that using anchor points is obsolete. Perhaps as far as GoCentral goes, but not in general, correct? Some might find that statement confusing. They are still used in html all the time. The problem is, GoCentral is using some other coding methodology that won't accept anchor points, correct?

@Hopeful<a name="example"></a> is depreciated in the current specifications (HTML5) and replaced with simply using an id on the container element.

https://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html-markup-20110525/a.html

Most browsers now come with some form of 'Developer Tools' built in with features similar to Firebug.

The auto generated ids are quite long, you just need to pick one of the containers for the section you are trying to target.  If you mouseover or select on the code window it should highlight it on the webpage.  You could double-click the id or right click and select Edit HTML then copy everything between the quotation marks.

<div id="this">
    	<div id="orthis">
    		<div id="couldbethis">

<h2>The Section</h2>

</div>
    	</div>
    </div>

Hopeful
    Artisan

@Nate  Wow. Didn't realize anchor points were now depreciated. Always changing...

I'll try your suggestion. Don't know why I'm having such a hard time!

Thanks a bunch.

LarryKarene
    Apprentice

Hey, Nate - 24 hours later, and the files are still getting served.  Of course, I'm now looking for an "open in new window" option, which doesn't exist in the GoCentral tools.  Man, who QA'd this stuff?

I put together a piece of HTML5 code to try this in a new section (e.g., Click here to view the weekly menu with the typical target="_blank"), but nothing displays in edit and preview mode.  Tried a color picker for the font, but still blank.  I even tried original HTML, but same thing.

Buggy!

I have seen others report HTML sections not working properly, but I haven't been able to duplicate it myself.

I tested this and it works for me in the preview and published site.

<a href="https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/9efedeb5-2fc2-4642-9878-50ce6be0b074/downloads/1cfoapi81_248913.jpg" target="_blank">Click Here</a>

I'm not sure if this problem is with a specific template or what else it could be.

Hopeful
    Artisan

@NateI'm trying to link to section on another page. I tried your example:

http://www.yourdomain.com/pagename.html#1234....

I'm assuming the .html is the actual wording I need to use there? I've copied the div from the blank area above my section and pasted into this format above, using the .html. It does not allow that. It says something is wrong and wipes it out of the input field for the url. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

It should be the URL of the published page followed by a # and the ID.

This work-around was less than ideal, I'd recommend using the built in feature now.  It appears they've fixed some of the issues with the drop-down list extending off the screen, if you are still seeing this try to take a screenshot and submit it to support.  In the meantime, make sure you're scrolled all the way down in the section editor before highlighting the text and clicking the make link button.

Hopeful
    Artisan

@Nate(This is a cx to my previous reply.) Thanks, Nate! Unfortunately, the area I'm trying to link to is in the middle of a lengthy section in my FAQs. Two problems: This new feature doesn't allow you to go to the specific group within the section, and secondly, hard coding it I don't want to just go to the top of the section. I need to go to an area of white space above a question as you suggested previously. So, with this in mind, and based on your reply, if my site has no .html in the published page, then I shouldn't add that in my link, correct? So right after the .com, the next character would be the hashtag and then the div id, right?

@Hopeful  That sounds right.  If you share the URL I'll take a look, just PM me if you don't want to post it here.

was there an answer to the question:  How do I add a pdf link in my GoCentral website?

@AlohaPierFestiv

You can add a Files section to the website and upload the PDF file.  After you publish the page you can right-click the Download button and select Copy Link Location, then you can paste that address when creating a text link.

Hopeful
    Artisan
    Solution

@AlohaPierFestiv This thread is not discussing PDF links. (It is discussing linking from one section in the site to another.) That's a different thing. To find information on other topics such as PDFs, you need to search at the top of the GoCentral Community in the topics or look at the Help files GoDaddy provides. Here is one I found that might help you:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/add-downloadable-files-24747

Hope that helps!