• GoCentral | Website Builder

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Go Central vs Website Builder

My GoDaddy reps on the phone have been telling me that they are told to sell GoCentral as opposed to Website Builder.  Big Mistake.  I've used Website Builder Version 7 for a long time and it's much better than GoCentral.  I'm trying to figure out why I have to go through so much hassle to get a rep to set me up with Website Builder.  I agree that GoCentral may be easy to use for people that don't know what they want but there are some people like me, where I'm not a coder, but I'm certainly above the "We Build it For You" that GoCentral offers.  I just wanted to put it out there and see if anyone else feels the same way.  Jon Johnson

22 REPLIES 22
    Helper IV
    Helper IV

Re: Go Central vs Website Builder

Yes, as a former employee, I will say that they are two totally different products for two different types of people. I was really sorry to see the WSB option go away. I am not sure what the current position is, but I would hope that you can still ask (beg) for someone to help you get setup with the WSB7 as it is much more robust in terms of features. Not sure how it is on mobile compatibility though.

New

Hey there, even tho I've never used GoCentral, I agree with the love for Website Builder. I created and manage three websites using WB. I considered bringing a site I manage for someone on Virb, over to GoDaddy WB. So is it not available at all anymore?

The rep told me I could do more with GoCentral than WSB and it was cheaper, too.  Um, wrong.  He told me that they were discontinuing WSB, so I subscribed to GoCentral.  I just went in for a look and it's a totally different product with no flexibility other than changing fonts and colors -- oooh!

Helper IV
    Helper IV

Everyone has to start somewhere and the newer reps won't know much about the older products. I would call back and see if you can get a more experienced rep. They are totally different products and GoCentral is very limited (although I have seen the product roadmap, so I know there are plans to enhance it). I don't have any up to date info on the current product offerings as I no longer work there, but my understanding is that you can still get WSB if you talk to the right person. Ask for a supervisor if you feel that you get another less experienced rep.

Helper V

I understand your frustration. I was using the original Shopping Cart. GoCentral is no comparison. Not nearly as robust. I believe the same thing applies to WB7. However, I would caution you, it's my understanding they will be discontinuing WB7 at some point, and so if you choose to set up your website using it, you should be prepared to find another option when that goes away. You may not want to devote a bunch of time to something that could be phased out at any time. Something I learned the hard way...

Helper I

Like yourself, I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that there are more of US then the market they are aiming for. It's ludicrous for the tech or sales associates to try to sell everyone on GoCentral ... I just don't understand their thinking. If we are informed, we should be able to know what we want but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I have the Business Pro plan and I now call it the 'no business plan' as I might very well lose the account because of the issues that eat up so much time with GoCentral that they aren't getting posted readily enough.

Listen GoDaddy, don't abandon your legacy users to sell us a bill of no-goods, please don't.

I'll take maple syrup on that doughnut please.

I too am really frustrated with my first go round with Go Central - it seems so much more limited and difficult.  Is WB really going away?   Frustrating.

Sounds like I need to call for help.

New

Really disappointed in Go Central, I was told it was an upgraded product that was easy to use and Website Builder was not going to be supported in the near future. They offered a great discount on Go Central and I was coming up for renewal around the 1st of the year. So in October I went with Go Central for both websites I have. In December I started to rebuild my sites (they said they couldn't be transferred due to them being different products) I found Go Central very difficult to work with and have not been able to match the quality or functionality of the Website Builder product I had. No ability to change fonts, colors, direct links to information with 1 click. All in all the Go Central product appears to be a bare bones get me on the web product. I tried to call to get a refund or credit to apply for a renewal of Website Builder but was told it was over 30 days and no refund was allowed but they did offer me a Website Builder renewal at the same rate I was paying before. So in essence I paid for a worthless product, I might as well have started a fire in my fireplace with the wasted cash on the Go Central product.

New

ok. looking at gocentral in the demo, its complete and utter garbage. oh dear lord, i could never make the page i had in this. wow.... and they are going to force people to phase out godaddy website builder? why not just keep going and make version 8 of the website builder....... im about to throw up.

ok, so instead of using gocentral, a better completely free html5 responsive website maker (free for personal and commercial use with in app purchases that are totally worth it) www.mobirise.com and then all you have to do is get hosting, an the mobirise program will allow you to upload to ftp from the program.

go central is awful, and i'm young and adaptive and have no problem using new things. this literally won't let me do anything i did on website builder. wow......... how many hundreds of dollars have i paid you over the years and you're going to **bleep** on me like this?

Helper I

Josh -

I've been so frustrated with this GOCCENTRAL crud that I try to stay away from the forums for fear of being banned for using appropriate (to the product) but inappropriate (politically) references.

One very telling thing here is that not ONE employee or customer service rep will respond to this thread. If it had been my company, I would have done damage control quickly when I pull a fast switch on legacy customers. Here, nothing, not a peep.   Very, very telling.

Last night, I had to type a paragraph of about 35 words. I used to get A's and B's in English and composition back in school. This paragraph took me almost 25 minutes to complete because words and letters would appear differently than I typed in.  Correcting a mistake? Forget it, the mistake would disappear in the text window, as desired, but reappear somewhere else in the text. When one goes to that 'somewhere else' to delete it, it would not delete. Like chasing a dog around the park who hides and reappears elsewhere.  Come on GODADDY, get some moxie and respond and tell us why this happens.

Helper II

Helper II

Helper I

Well, I have been tagged an 'experienced' person by someone at GODADDY which means I am neither of the above two points you made.

How I was tagged experienced by them I don't know. Maybe I took five times as long as most to get my money that I paid the to work, which by no means is the way it should be. Flat out, the program is not easy, has too many flaws, and is a nightmare. They tout their online chat is there for us but since I have joined there is no online chat, never anyone available.

I don't 'slam' or 'shame' anyone without extremely just cause, but when it walks like a duck,, talks like a duck, it's a duck.

Helper I

First off, if I have not mentioned this before, I do like your site Amy. It's simple, elegant and functional. Nice work and perfect for what GoDaddy is for, now that I see what it is.  It's unfortunate I was duped into this program without recourse because I needed a business page that is quite a bit more complex and has multiple linking, payments and donations portals which GODADDY advertised in GOCENTRAL. Take the PAYPAL, it's a single payment system only. Not at all robust but so easily fixable. Sigh.

The cost of a 5 minute call to an out of area (only 40 miles away) here in the Philippines is exorbitant. Unlike the USA, for that five minute call you might spend eight to ten bucks.....and that is if they answer right away. I DO have an option to call for free, on my customers line but that is a four mile drive and I am only on a scooter, and disabled.

I'm not really complaining about the lack of making a phone call as much as they said they have online chat, which was a KEY reason for using GODADDY ... but sadly,, they lied. Never once has the chat line been open in the 2 1/2 months I've been with them. When you pay money for promised services,, you should receive them.  Heh, just my point about GoDaddy.   Now, if they were only 1/2 times better in terms of functionality ease of use and conventional website building, these words you hear would be nothing but praise. I know about praise as its what drove my satisfaction in my businesses back in the '70's and '80's -and- provided enriched rewards to my crew.

I am doing this website as a honorable service to my fellow US Veterans both here and back in the USA, every one of them to be honored for their sacrifice of self .... and would just like to get something good for what I've paid.

I'm done complaining ... it's useless and I have a nice retired life to deal with .  Smiley Wink  Smiley Wink

Helper I

Amy -

If you are here in the Philippines, do stop by and say hi. The information is on the website main landing page. 

Check out the website and all the menu's and sub-menus ... you'll see what I mean about being just a tad more complex, especially the Veterans Cemetery page ... unfortunately, it's getting fuller and fuller (sigh).

http://www.vfwpost2485.org

Gordy

GoCentral has downgraded features.  This means that the tech reps can push for web designers to add the features in when a customer needs them.  I was quoted $3500 to add in a submenu, plus an additional $250/year for every year the web-site is active.  This new GoCentral seems to be a money maker for GoDaddy.  The submenu was a standard feature on previous web builders through GoDaddy.  The downside to these changes, which GoDaddy hasn't considered is that the customer base gets annoyed and migrates to providers that offer services and features that are required.  Reminds me of Bell Canada....

Helper V

The sub-menu was just added as a February Update. See the first topic in the GoCentral forum for more info.

Thanks for this feedback.  Please note the supposed submenu in GoCentral is a virtual workaround which creates even more confusion.  The GoCentral submenu reads as follows

Navigation: (1) Home (2) Baseball (3) Soccer -> URL links: mysite/home or mysite/baseball or mysite/soccer (sports remains hidden)

In reality a a true submenu delivers

Navigation: (1) Home (2) Sports (2a) Baseball (2b) Soccer -> URL links: mysite/home or mysite/sports or mysite/sports/baseball or mysite/sports/soccer

The GoDaddy "submenu' is actually a flat 2-dimensional representation and not a submenu which offers 3-dimensional representation.

Helper V

Thanks for noticing that. That doesn't seem like what store owners are looking for to me...

Back in 2014, I was forced to abandon the original website tonight builder and totally reformat my website www.bound4burlingame.com with the v7 builder.  I lost about 400 pages because I had to start from scratch again.  Now they are making v7 obsolete and forcing us to change to GoCentral (an inferior product).  I took a peek at the low low intro rate last year and they didnt have anything that even remotely compared to my colors/format/overall layout/appearance.  Now they upped the price to almost $145 to keep the business v7, but with no real support.  And I don't even get SSL or SE0.....I need to find a new host/builder that I can transfer my content over with a one-click transfer option.  Is there such thing (I think so). 

Helper V

To User982, I was wondering if you tried the dropdown feature they just added in Feb.? It's suppose to do what you want, I think, by listing sub-pages under the main page. Like:

Sports

Basketball

Baseball

Football

At least that's how the documentation in the release shows it...

Employee
    Employee
    Solution

Hello!

GoCentral is our current version of the Website Builder, and it is the successor to the legacy Version 6 and Version 7 Website Builder plans. It's been developed with current browsing technology in mind, so it is more compatible with mobile views, tablets, and different screen resolutions than the older legacy plans were. While we do support issues pertaining to the Version 6 and Version 7 Website Builders, we only offer new GoCentral plans for new purchases.

While GoCentral is designed with current browsers in mind, it does run into limitations with exactly what can be customized on it. For users that are more comfortable with site building that find GoCentral to be simplistic or are looking to do more than it can provide, going with a plan like Managed WordPress could be a potential alternative.

Hope this helps!

Paul D. | Advanced Technical Support
    24/7 Support at x.co/247support