• GoCentral | Website Builder
  • GoCentral | Website Builder

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

GoCentral Google Calendar Issue

HELP! I am beyond frustrated at this point. I initially linked the Office 365 calendar to my GoCentral site. For some reason, it would not show any events which were further than 6 months out (which is crucial for my business). After weeks of calling in, I was finally told, that this was an issue not with GoCentral, but with Microsoft's Office 365 calendar........and to install another calendar. I installed a Google calendar and now the following is happening: if I add ANY link to the body of text, it'll show fine 'in the back', in front, it'll turn into code !??? So today, again after calling in a few times and having had the Advanced Technical Support team work on this, I was told, it is an issue with Google. Anyone else come across this problem and is there ANY calendar which will work, or what the heck? ( I add screenshots in succession, so you can see what is going on in back and how it then looks in front) Thanks! GoD1.pngGoD1a.pngGoD2.pngGoD2a.pngGoD3.pngGoD3a.png

16 REPLIES 16
    Super User I Super User I
    Super User I

Re: GoCentral Google Calendar Issue

I can't see the screenshots but I wonder what snippet box you are using to display the Google code @wempoweride? Seems to me that using a HTML block for the Google code? I also don't know what your Google Calendar display code contains but it could be that the code is not able to be displayed in the provided HTML box?

I know that Google Calendar just went through some changes, could that be the issue? Could it be a permission issue when viewing? I'm sorry that I can't help more but I'd have to understand the issue a bit better. I hope I've started you on a patch to solving this?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Thank you RD.

I am no techie, so here goes:

I am using the Google Calendar ICS code (html extension is not compatible with GoCentral....via GoDaddy). The Googlr calendar ICS code, I placed exactly in the box, where they (GoDaddy) instructed.

So, as I mentioned, if I only put regular text without any links in the calendar, it will show fine on website. It will ALSO show fine, when I put a link only OR when I put a link (angela@wempoweride.com...for example) with text. The moment I ADD (after saving link + text and going back in) anything to calendar, it will turn into code....on website only, not on calendar. I also cannot copy and paste anything into calendar, without having it show code on website.

a) I NEED to add links to my calendar for my customers and if I have to make any changes to event on calendar, I have to type the whole thing again.

Don't think it's a permission issue as it will show fine, only when I go back in and make any changes to event in calendar, it turns into code.

How can I add screenshots, so you could take a look? ............or if you tell me exactly what you would need to take a look at or any other info you would need, to help me figure this out, let me know, please.

THANK YOU so much for helping!  Smiley Happy

Super User I

So I assume that you followed the instructions at Add a Google calendar to your website and are using the iframe embed code? I am not sure if iframes work in the GoCentral HTML block? You might want to ask if that block can process iframes?

You shouldn't have to keep adjusting calendar events though? Seems that you should only have to update the Google Calendar and the integrated calendar on your website would be dynamic? 

If you want to add a screenshot to this post you can use the Photos button on the top.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

GoD1.png
    GoD1a.pngGoD2.pngGoD2a.pngGoD3.pngGoD3a.pngHi Rd! Yes, I followed instructions....exactly as given by GoDaddy.

I DO have to change things in my calendar, as people sign up - there are frequent updates to the events (takes too long to explain, but that shouldn't be an issue anyway).

I believe, I had added the previous screenshots through the 'PHOTOS' button and you couldn't see them? I added them again here, may be you have any other ideas. Thanks AGAIN!

Super User I

Hmmmmm? So I don't know what you mean when you say as people sign up - there are frequent updates to the events but that shouldn't have anything to do with the view on your website? The code is just for displaying the Google Calendar events, all of the changes should be done on the Google Calendar side, your website does not have to update when you add new events. Are you trying to update the Google Calendar on your website?

No, of course not. I am trying to update the calendar on GOOGLE calendar (where I need to add updates to the events, frequently.......but it's not possible, without writing the whole thing over and over again, as, like I said, the moment I try to alter or add anything on the calendar itself......not on the website of course, it will turn into code).

Super User I

Suddenly I can see the pictures on the original post. I notice that you have Default visibility set for your event so I assume that it is defaulted to Public? It also looks like you should not be entering and code in your event. If you have images, links, addresses or whatever you should be just using the editing tools provided to you in the Google Event and not your own HTML. That code that is displayed is just the HTML for an email address. Other than that it looks like you are ready to go. The website looks cool by the way, I love to see what people can create with GoCentral.

I do not enter any code (don't even know how to do this). It's changing to code by itself: that is the issue! I do enter links through editing tools. It's screwed up. Nobody can explain why. Sigh..........

Thanks for compliment on website.....now if it would only work.

Super User I
    Solution

When you follow the instructions on the link I originally provided you should get a code like:

<iframe src="https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=youremailaddress%40gmail.com&ctz=America%2FNew_York" style="border: 0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

That is the code you should put on the HTML box in your GoCentral. Checkout Add HTML or custom code to my site I think that should do it?

I will try this and will update you.

Sure appreciate your help, as everyone seems to be baffled by this.

baffled.jpg

I know this was 2½ months ago, but I have the solution to your issue if you haven't figured it out and haven't scrapped it.

Highlighted
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @LeoVolz,

It would be great if you would add your solution so others in the Community can see it as well. Thanks!

Rachel

Hi @LeoVolz!

Yes, PLEASE, share how to go about it, as it still does not work and GoDaddy cannot help!

THANK YOU!

Angela

Actually, @LeoVolz

you can also email me: fauxcade@hotmail.com

Thank you!

I posted a lengthy explanation in response to your request on 3/3, and GoDaddy has no recollection of me doing it.  It is not showing in this thread.   Did anyone receive it as a private message?

Give me a bit to reform my thoughts.  I will compose the text and save it off-line, then copy it back here.  I don't want to write it for a third time if GoDaddy loses it again.

The problem everyone is having appears to be links getting corrupted when they try to import Google calendar events into their GoCentral calendars.  The solution is to not save links in Google.   Here’s why:

Google and GoCentral are both attempting to perform the same task for you.  They are taking information that looks like it should be a link and trying to convert it into actual working links.   The failure happens when a functioning link is passed from Google to GoCentral.  GoCentral sees text that it thinks should be a link and turns it into a link, but it is effectively making a “link of a link”.     This double link fails and presents poorly on your site.

So, back to what I said above, the secret is to never save a link in a Google calendar event.  I know, this is difficult when Google is trying to do it for you and you can’t turn off the feature.

Step 1 – Make your event

In your event description there are two ways you can make a link (if the event will only ever be used in the Google calendar).  You can copy in a functioning link, or you can highlight some text and turn it into a link by clicking the chain link button in the tool ribbon at the top of the editing panel for the event description.  DO NOT DO EITHER OF THESE THINGS.  These links will fail when they get imported by your GoCentral calendar.   You have to type or copy in what I will refer to as “text that looks like a link but really isn’t a link” – essentially the text for your link with no actual hypertext function.

When you save your Google event, this link text will not yet have been converted into a link.  When GoCentral imports it, it will see text that looks like a link and respond by adding hypertext to make it a functioning link.   This text is single-linked and should work in your GoCentral calendars.   The only real drawback to this kind of linking is that you can’t put the link under some plain-looking text.  Hit’s nice to say CLICK HERE instead of showing the full URL string, but that just can’t be done here.

Step 2 – When you have to edit your event

Most of you have already figured out Step 1.  You don’t like it, but you deal with it.  You do it right once, and if you never touch the event again, it will continue to work.  But when you must edit an event…   You open your calendar event and find out that Google has “conveniently” linked your previously unlinked text.  Now, when you save the calendar event, if you don’t strip out the links, Go Central will create the dreaded double link and it will fail.

The solution most have come up with is to delete any linked text and reinsert it without links, effectively replicating what you’ve already done once when you created the event.   Tedious and time consuming.   The secret is in the link button in the tool ribbon.   It is a toggle switch.   Highlight the linked text, hit the link button, and the link is switched off – way better than deleting and reinserting.   Save your event, and the next time you look at your GoCentral calendar, you should see an edited event with functioning links.   Yes, we’d like to see the process automated, but this is a fairly simple edit, and since you’re already editing the event anyway…   You just have to remember to do it.