cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Unable to view URL image, get 404.

Hi, 

First time on here. Tried searching a similar question but was unsuccessful. So here's my problem. Trying to view an URL, that's an image, in my server but keep getting Error 404. I know the image (file) is on my server because I can access it on my file manger. 

When I copy and paste the link of the image on my browser (tried several) , I get the error 404. 

I know a couple of years ago I could view it, but now I can't. Any suggestions? 

PS. I do use Wordpress. 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Unable to view URL image, get 404.

Hey ink,

The same thing seems to happen to me all the time. Every time, it's turned out that I inadvertently typoed the path to the image. Usually it's something like I forgot an intermediary directory or forgot to put the file extension on it. A 404 means that the server literally can't find the image, so it's not like it's corrupted or has bad permissions.

To be sure, though, if you're comfortable providing the URL that's 404ing, it might be easier to diagnose.

Other things you might consider is if your domain name is pointed to the right place or if you can directly access other assets that are in the same directory or are in a directory above it.

Best,

Sean

New

Thanks the reply @loiselle Sean.

How do I know if I have direct access to the directory? He there a setting on cPanel?

New

Yea, tried to go through all the setting in the cPanel on godaddy hosting plan and can't find an option to disable or enable people to view files on my server with the URL. 

New

File not found (404 error)

Getting 404 error for the last 2 days.  I am using website builder and changed some info on one of the pages and after published I get the error.  chatted with cust support 2 days ago and they had me change an ip address and was told site should be working later that day.  its been two and still down.  any way to get my page visible???

Anonymous
    Not applicable

Re: File not found (404 error)

Hi @Dwayne,

You are not saying exactly what exactly did you change to your page? CMS isn't as flexible as a hand coded site, it doesn't like changes (look at the recent Wordpress update chaos).

If you say what you changed then maybe someone will be able to offer more help?

New

I launched page designer, duplicated a page, changed some text then published it. that's when I got error 404 when I check it on the web.

File not found (404 error)

I am getting a 404 error even though I know the file exists.  I used file manager, created a folder and uploaded two files, one a jpg and the other a php file.  I browse to the files. The browser finds the jpg but not the php file, and instead gives a File not found (404 error).

Anonymous
    Not applicable

what kind of php file is it?

I was a bit hesitant to reply to someone calling themselves 'JoeDaddy5000', and someone arguing with a computer "I know it exists"........ we believe you JoeDaddy, we really do...................

your computer says you're telling fibs though!!! Who should we believe?

Helper VI Helper VI
    Helper VI

Some systems by default wont allow you to upload executable files... php files are executable files. There was a hack that used to work(I only condone white hat haxing). Rename your file to fileName.php.jpg then upload... once uploaded revert its name to the right name.
    ~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com
    Helper VI Helper VI
    Helper VI

Imagine if a haxer uploaded a php file and that php file deleted everything inside your root directory?
    Or maybe worse, what if that php file executed a read file on your database credentials then used that credential to have your own server spit out all user information saved in your database? ;D
    ~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com
    New

404 system error after deleting subscription to 'free' GoDaddy website builder

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if someone could help me as I am new to creating websites.

I just bought a domain name that came with a free year of the GoDaddy website builder. I tried it out for about 20 minutes and did not like it. So I removed it from my subscriptions and paid to use WordPress instead. 

But since I removed the GoDaddy website builder all that happens when I try to update my WordPress account for that domain is a 404 system error page and no sign of a website at all!

What do I do? I'm scared I've just shelled out a load of cash for nothing...

Solution

Case Sensitivity Issue
    In my case the issue was Case-sensitive filename in URL."
    I uploaded image with name WLL.png

But was accessing it with wll.png

So I had to rename image files at my godaddy filemanager path to lowercase. As i was using lowercase filenames throughout my html.

Issue was resolved.