• GoCentral | Website Builder
  • GoCentral | Website Builder

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Very new to this, very basic help needed.

I have a million questions but I will start with two (more to follow).

When I log on to my new site, www.ugthorpeviews.co.uk can I get access to editing from my site or do I have to go through the Godaddy main site?

I posted a welcome message on my blog and then tried to follow it up with a news item, although this second post appeared on the site, it had a different layout to my first post. Where did I go wrong?

Anyone looking at my site will see very much wrong but there will be questions for another day. They say every journey starts with a single step but I feel as though I haven't even stood up yet.

Thanks for any help in plain English.

12 REPLIES 12
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: Very new to this, very basic help needed.

Hi @RBear. I'll see if I can help. 

If you want to edit your site, you'll need to launch it by logging in to your GoDaddy account. There isn't a way to edit the site by visiting it first. However, you can take a shortcut and visit websites.godaddy.com and that should take you straight to the editor after logging in. 

As for your blog, what you currently have actually looks like the first part is just a content section within your "My blog" area, and the second part is an actual blog post. My guess would be that if you look in your blog manager, you'll only see one post there. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean though. 

Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    New

Thanks for the reply JesseW.

I played around after logging in and managed to find "edit" and so after a bit more experience it should come easier.

You guess right, in the blog manager there is only one post (dated). I was hoping that my second post would follow down the list also dated but I cant figure out why its not.

New

Having another try with my website and I feel another head spinning experience coming on!!

I have been looking at the menu in edit on the right side, there seems to be very little instruction eg. "Drag to reorder site navigation or group items in a dropdown menu", without explanation it means nothing.

I may be missing something but is there anywhere that explains these menu items and how to use them? I dont like to have keep asking what must be such simple questions on here as I am sure you all have better things to do.

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @RBear. Regarding your blog posts, it looks like you only have one post. If you want the content above the post to be dated and added next to the current one, you'll want to put that content into its own post. 

As for reordering pages, this changes the order that the pages appear in your navigation. You can drag and drop the menu items into the order you want. See the gif below. 

GC-reorder-nav.gif

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    New

Thanks for explaining the drag and drop, I'm starting to get to grips with it.

I have added a new page titled "Ugthorpe Mill" which put the heading next to home, contact us etc but on what should be the page saying it is empty lets add some content, I click on it but cant find where to add images or text.

New

Sorry to be here again but I am going from one headache to the next, most of the problems are with unclear instructions, or they might be clear to a tech wiz kid but not to the likes of me.

I have just spent several hours trying to set up an event calendar but the instructions don't match with what I see on screen.

I clicked on the Google calendar instructions and everything was fine until I clicked on the "settings" button (step 3 I think) and the screen was nothing like the instruction screen, please help explain, I'm getting more depressed by the hour! 

Community Manager
    Community Manager

@RBear - So for your blank page, you should see a button that says "add content". If you click that, you should be able to choose from the various content sections on the right based on what you want to add to the page. Each type of section can have a few different layouts. 

As for setting up a Google event calendar, I'm guessing you mean the instructions here. In looking at my own Google calendar, the steps and images seem to be correct. After you click the settings button, you should see an area on the left that says "settings for my calendar". If you click on the calendar name there, you should see the same information as step 4 in the instructions. I hope that helps. 

New

Sorry but I have followed the setting up instructions for a calendar but nothing works or matches the instructions. I have now given up on the calendar and moved on, I can only spend so many hours hitting brick walls.

My next web building step is to put links to local businesses, surprisingly, adding a clickable link to a business website was relatively easy BUT when I tried what I thought should be a simple matter of linking to a page of info about a business without a website I found it impossible and yet there are buttons in edit for "page" and "website".

My son had a look at what I was attempting and was as frustrated as myself at the lack of clarity.

Community Manager
    Community Manager

@RBear Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. I know it may be difficult, but if you can try to provide more information about exactly what's confusing you, that may help others offer suggestions. Screenshots of what you're seeing that's not lining up with instructions should help. If nothing else, you can reach out to our customer care team and they might be able to help answer your questions as well. 

New

This is a typical example of lack of instructions. I somehow managed to link a business website to the click button but there are a couple of local businesses that dont have websites and I would like to add a logo/photo somewhere around the clickable links.

In this screenshot example there is no explanation for the "black and white" button or how to use the "logo and badge image 6/6" what is 6/6? Then there are the crosses in the blue circles, I dont want to add sections I want to use the section already there.

The whole site builder site editing is riddled with similar unexplained items which might be ok for the experienced website builder but this is advertised as suitable for the beginner with Harry Redknap saying you can build a site in one hour, I must have spent 30 hours+.

Capture.PNG

New

I have just had a contact email from the site with a  "Click here to reply" button which doesn't work and trying to replying to the email direct is returned as its a no reply Godaddy address.

Just another problem to add to the list.

Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

Thanks for following up again @RBear. I know the goal of the GoCentral team is to make things as easy as possible with an intuitive interface. However, not everyone has the same level of experience. I'm guessing that's what may be causing you so much trouble. This is all good feedback and I'll make sure I pass it on. Now to address your questions:

The clickable links that you've highlighted (near the top of your screenshot) are in a "content" section. If you want to have an image and link for each site, I'd recommend clicking on the section, then choosing a different layout. There is usually one that has 6 blocks, each with an image and some text below it. You can add links to that text or to the images themselves. 

As for the "black and white button" you mention, this is specific to the logos & badges section. If you click on the small + sign in on the right or on one of the place holder images, you should be able to upload an image for a badge/logo. Once you have images there, toggling the "black & white" will cause the images to be displayed in black & white format. The 0/6 indicates that you can add up to 6 logos/badges in this section. 

As for the issue with the email, the link in the message you receive is a common "mail to" link. This will work if you have an email client (like Outlook or Thunderbird) set as your default mail client. It will populate the address of the person that filled out the form in your composing window. However, if you use a webmail client, this likely won't work for you. In that case, you can grab their email from the content of the form submission. 

I hope this helps.