Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted
    Helper I

redirect to www.

Hey Guys,

I asked this question a few months ago but thought I would ask again as I'm about to change domain names. I am on go central and not Wordpress hosting.

My SEO results are being handicapped by the fact I have two websites that don't redirect to the same final address. www.comm-safe.com and comm-safe.com google doesn't like this i am told.

I want it so that they ultimately end up at www.

If I setup a 301 redirect from comm-safe.com to www.comm-safe.com it kills both pages. Is there DNS setting I can employ so that regardless users will always land on www.comm-safe.com

4 REPLIES 4
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: redirect to www.

Hi @bensim90 - In order to have things set up the way you want them, you essentially need two things:

Currently, there's no way to set up a redirect within GoCentral. However, I was able to make this work by following the steps listed below. Bear with me as this is a bit complicated.

1. Go into your GoCentral account and update your domain. You'll need to choose the option under My Domain that says "Change external domain." (See image 1 below.)
    2. Click Next.
    3. Enter the WWW version of your domain name and click Save & Publish(See image 2 below.)
    4. Next, update the domain's WWW A Record so that it points to one of the IP addresses listed in this help article. (See image 3 below.)
       - You may get an error when trying to do this. Refreshing the page seemed to make it work for me though. 
    5. Forward your domain name to its WWW version. (See image 4 below.)

Once all of these changes have time to apply (may take a few hours) your domain should forward with a 301 redirect to the WWW version of your domain name. Hope this helps.  

GCWWW1.jpg

GCWWW2.jpg

GCWWW4.jpg

GCWWW3.jpg

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    Helper I

@JesseW

Jesse, thank you very much for your comprehensive response and sorry for my deleted reply!

I am about to try this now and will report back!!

Thank you!

Helper I

@JesseW

Its worked!! What a hero thanks very much!!!

Cheers!

Community Manager
    Community Manager
    Solution

Hello everyone. I wanted to post an update here to avoid future confusion. The message I posted above was a workaround and did work at the time. However, a few things have changed since then and the workaround is no longer viable. For one, all GoCentral websites now have a free SSL Certificate and automatically use HTTPS (this is good Man Happy). However, in order to direct domain.com to www.domain.com, our domain forwarding was used. This service does not currently (nor has it ever) support the use of HTTPS, so it can no longer be used to forward your domain with incoming HTTPS://domain.com requests. Sorry Man Sad

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.