cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

500 - Internal Error message for simple HTML Pages

My domains are set up such that they are all under one FTP for xxxxx.com, and in the FTP, I have some other Domains in Sub-Folders.

One Sub-Folder is WebFletch.  The contents of that Sub-Folder host my site www.WebFletch.com.

I recently wiped the folder and re-uploaded a re-written site with nothing but pure HTML/CSS/JS.  No asp, .net, etc.

My Web-Config looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
  <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    <compilation debug="true"/>
  </system.web>
  <system.webServer>
    <httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
    <asp scriptErrorSentToBrowser="true"/>
    <rewrite>
      <rules>
        <rule name="Unauthenticated Redirect">
          <conditions>
            <add input="{REQUEST_URI}" pattern="^/Unauthenticated/index\.html.*$" />
          </conditions>
          <action type="Redirect" url="/" />
        </rule>
        <rule name="Unauthenticated Redirect2">
          <conditions><add input="{REQUEST_URI}" pattern="^/?$" /></conditions>
          <action type="Rewrite" url="Unauthenticated/index.html" />
        </rule>
      </rules>
    </rewrite>
  </system.webServer>
</configuration>

The site works if I go directly to the initial page, but not if I visit the root webfletch.com.  The initial page is like so:

http://www.webfletch.com/Unauthenticated/index.html

I am more used to Azure or Private Servers, and I don't know how I can check server logs or get access to the IIS Errors remotely.  Configuring the Web.config doesn't seem to help.  When I visit webfletch.com I just get a basic 500 error:

The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred.

1 REPLY 1
Solution

Re: 500 - Internal Error message for simple HTML Pages

As visible by my Web Config, I default my page to an Index.html that is in a Subfolder, not on the Root.  This issue was occurring because of two problems.

1. Something on GoDaddy, or the IIS GoDaddy uses, refuses to care about the Rewrite Rules.

2. There is no index, home, or otherwise "default" page in my "root" WebFletch directory.  So IIS had nothing to load, and didn't know how to ReWrite my root because of Issue 1.

So I added an empty index.html with only Meta Refresh to redirect to my subfolder index.

Now I'll create a new thread to figure out why that Web.Config isn't working to perform IIS URL Rewrites.