cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

ASP.NET Core 1.0 is out. Will GoDaddy hosting plans support this?

Hello everyone,

As the title suggest, will GoDaddy hosting plans support anytime soon ASP.NET Core 1.0 web pages?

I remember trying to deploy an ASP.NET Core page about a month ago, when it was still in beta, and I was unable to make it work.

37 REPLIES 37

Re: ASP.NET Core 1.0 is out. Will GoDaddy hosting plans support this?

@scubaFun,

I'd suppose you can install it yourself if using a windows VPS or Dedicated Server

Regards, R. Zelnick
New

i wonder whether or not .net core available for hosting plans.

some companies already started ?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @scubaFun

We currently run Plesk 12 on our Windows Web Hosting plans. According to this forum post on the Plesk website, they may not even support Core on Plesk 12.5. As such, we're not likely to support ASP.NET Core very soon. Sorry Smiley Sad 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

There is an update in thread which says "ASP.NET Core 1.0 is now supported in Plesk Onyx - https://docs.plesk.com/release-notes/17.0/change-log/" so is there any update from Go Daddy on this.

@JesseW wrote:

Hi @scubaFun

We currently run Plesk 12 on our Windows Web Hosting plans. According to this forum post on the Plesk website, they may not even support Core on Plesk 12.5. As such, we're not likely to support ASP.NET Core very soon. Sorry Smiley Sad 

New

me too i am waiting .net core 1.0 support  for my web hosting

New

@JesseW

anyway i dont think use your hosting service anymore even i have unlimited hosting which already paid 2 years congratulations you won. first conversation started nearly 4 months ago still doesn't support it. furthermore .NET Core can works on .NET 4.6.1 or .NET 4.5 but yours doesn't work. 
Thank you for your interest

Community Manager
Community Manager

@abhisheksiddhu @msalih I checked with one of our developers and the integration of Core 1.0 is something we're in the process of considering. However, there's currently no timeframe for when or if this will happen. It's unfortunate, but I can understand that you may consider another provider if this is a feature you need. We definitely appreciate the feedback, regardless. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

also waiting for asp.net core support.
I was so disapointed when i see no support after buying 3 years.. Just tought that "this is big company" and will supoort from the first day of release but...

And no mail support is VERY BAD. Why am i supposed to wait on the phone call to get support?
In mail we may share codes, pictures easly. It is ok to wait mail reply but not on the phone.

thanks.

I will be moving my sites as well due to a lack of a plan to support ASP.Net Core. I need a host that is better able to keep up with updates to .NET. The more I research GoDaddy, the more I see that support for new technology has been a continual issue for you. ASP.Net Core was released on 6/27/2016. I may be partially understanding of your inability to update in a timely manor, however being half a year into it and still have no official plan is inexcusable. I have spoken with customer support, technical support, and advanced technical support and found that most all of them still don't know what .Net Core even is. I guess I was just expecting more. Probably should have researched all this prior to signing up. It just seems like your model is more of getting people through the door and then disappointing them. Who cares though? There will be another guy right behind me to set up a new site.

I too am looking to upgrade my site to an ASP.NET Core app. I have the new site ready and waiting, but can't deploy until GoDaddy adds support or I change hosting companies. I've been with GoDaddy for over 6 years now so I'd rather not have to switch, but I can't wait much longer.

I changed from Linux to Plesk to specifically run ASP.NET Core 1.0 after not being able to get it to run, then find out that it won't run on Plesk either.

Can anyone recommend another Host that is keeping up with changing technology?

I think there are two things in play here.

First is the GoDaddy hosting business model. The target customer for GoDaddy seems to be mom & pop shops. It's a high volume, low complexity, Web Site (not Web Application) model. There is nothing wrong with this. It should be easy for anyone to quickly get a domain and site. That means though, that resources are focused on helping a large number of people with simple needs. I have found GoDaddy support at this level to be very good. 

Second is the technology factor. Web Applications work differently than Web Sites. In general, they like their own space where they can do things dynamically and at a low level when necessary. Things like running startup code. In the shared hosting model GoDaddy uses, multiple sites run out of  virtual spaces under one "real site". And because of the mom & pop model (and other reasons) this space is somewhat locked down to protect things. Most types of startup code run at the "real" level, so if you have multiple sites in virtual directories, they are (to a large degree) sharing the same base configuration.

For many of us this, can be a big problem, and it goes beyond Core. I'm currently trying to use AttributeRouting on my MVC5 sites. (That's how I'm discovering the stuff above.) Out-of-the-box MVC5 doesn't have AR enabled. You need to make a change to your startup files, which doesn't seem to be possible. (They are not being called on startup, and I'm not having much luck solving this.)

If you need to run multiple, simple websites, I think GoDaddy is a good value. If you needs are more Web Application related, less so.

The biggest problem with GoDaddy in this area is communication. There should be a sticky thread somewhere called ".Net Core" where their plans are posted. We know plans change, and transparency is the new standard in the tech world. Struggling through this stuff, and the lack of information does more damage to their overall image, then just putting up a post that says, "We do not plan on supporting Core at this time. It does not fit our current  business or technology models". 

New

yea, been waiting for core to be supported as well. 

I would like an updated eta from a moderator on the availability of .NET core on shared hosting.  

Thanks in advance.

Hosting Asp.net core

I could not host asp.net CORE in godaddy. Is there any way to host it or godaddy doesn't support it? If not why is still not available in godaddy?
Helper V

Web Applications work differently than Web Sites.

Nah. Marketing people like to use new names to refer to old stuff to make then seem new. Web Applications and Web Sites all use HTTP, CGI and HTML. Sure, since they use HTTP and HTML, dynamic Web Applications are more complicated but the underlying technology is the same. I totally agree that dynamic Web Applications with complicated server-side processing are tremendously more complicated than static HTML-only Web Sites.

Historical context: I came to godaddy seven years ago because the hosting service I used changes ownership to a firm in India that decided Windows hosting was too bothersome. The move to godaddy was arduous, but dragging my feet only extended the duration of my pain. Looking back, I realize I should have moved instantly. My experience with godaddy has been happy. Until now.

ASP.NET Core is a year old!

If godaddy still doesn't support it; if I can't run my apps on godaddy shared servers, I have to migrate everything again! I won't wait so long this time.

I am also evaluating other hosters because .net core is not support on godaddy.

I am sad, as our relationship has been good.

New

Hi there,

It's been six months since we last heard anything official about this. Are you able to update us on the progress that's been made so far?

New

I've spent the last hour trying to figure this out, wish I asked earlier on!  I'll be leaving for service elsewhere. 

New

Hello @JesseW

What's the status of Asp.Net core support on the shared hosting platform ?

is there any hosting platform that supports it beside dedicate and virtual server.

Do your business hosting support it?

Rather than send me marketing emails I would prefer update like when you intend support new tech like dotnet core or if you already do.

Please I have sent 90 days developing a dotnet web app only to discover you probably won't support it 

is there an update? Does Godaddy now support ASP.NET Core? This is a simple question, I am not sure why this has not been answered or officially addressed

I spoke to a Tech Support person today and asked, "can you confirm whether or not you support ASP.NET CORE on shared hosted sites?".  She said "yes, we support ASP.NET".  I said, "no, I'm asking about ASPNET CORE"; she consulted someone, came back with a "yes, we do".

REALITY CHECK: I haven't been able to successfully deploy via FTP profile via VS2017 15.3.0 Preview 5.... lots of "unknown WinINet error has occured", among other things.

I'm about ready to GIVE UP.

Has anyone succeeded in doing this with current tools, such as I described, and if so could you Please post some detailed example of HOW you were able to make it fly?

Thanks to any/all devs out there who are trying to get this nailed down!

I just asked a chat person and they said no.

First they didn't know what core was, then said no.

I think it depends who you ask.

: )

I had the exact same situation.  Support has no idea what .net core is.  They say yes, but i am unable to configure via their dashboard and the site just errors out.

They do not support .net core. Period

I also am very very frustrated by this and have decided to move all my sites to another hoster.  Just tired of fighting this.  More than anything they just don't know what it is, or are able to provide any sort of schedule of when they might support it.

This is very unfortunate.

Hands down, Worst-->Good Support Hosting Provider at G.D.

I don't know when it got to be so obsolete just like a few years ago they were ahead of the curve with 4.5 asp.net mvc support and they've fallen fast and hard and losing lifelong customers like me who own many domains and it's a pain to migrate transfer any of those but doing them all at once to go to inhosting or hostgator may be in the cards for me and my sites and my vps and 3 shared linux servers for work and a simple plesk acct. I use vmracks for all the application data and good alternative to azure or google cloud aws and you have complete vm control and vps hostings for not much more for the service you get in return from them.  

Godaddy needs to start hiring high schoolers with tech knowledge and not unemployed tech illiterate screen-readers who are rude as can be. They couldn't tell me how to do something about my VPS account. But some more Tier 3 support people are great. It REALLY depends on the roll of a few dice.

Has anybody found a good susbtitute to GoDaddy but with Net Core? I believe that Plesk announce that Onyx 17 was supporting ASPNet Core 2. It has to be a better way, without going with Azure...

THEY DONT I LEARNED IT THE HARD WAY! I'm absolutely in the same exact boat! I am having such a hard freaking time with this. RRGH! C'mon GD, ASP.NET Core is significantly less to host, it's far more versatile, unless you have some interworkings with microsoft to where you can't for some reason host it which i dont think is the case, or you have special interest companies with premium hosting or something. I haven't done much research other than who can I go to to take my pro account to. I just dont get why you cant just allow the option to configure it with nginx reverse proxying or even on your windows server IIS machines. What the heck guys. This is legitimately frustrating, I'm having to host my apis on azure and do all my .net on azure essentially, please just once step it up! Service has been going downhill, I know you have a serious clientload but really you guys had the capabilities now that you had ASP.NET 4.5 at the option for .NET ----> 2.5-3 years ago with updates to php 7 that was it a long time ago. What can I do, is this any way to host with you guys? Or do I have to get space at A2? Just get ASP.NET Core 1.0 at least. Nobody needs all the extra tools and gadgets it's a bit much. Turn it around boys, go back to where you came from please... innovation! let's drive innovation now...or someone else will.

And dear lord, the customer service is like talking to my mother about how to work a playstation to play a DVD. You call 3 times in a row and get three different wrong answers, one will simply be " I cannot give you that information, or tell you how to do that. It was something about our server at work going down, and godaddy blocked us out, lol I thought I did it. We tried everything, then the VMRacks guys stepped in on a third line with us and a godaddy guy after the 5th call after, after 4 people mind you told us it was us, until I setup a cruppy old machine as a server and ran our network through it and the firewall, and found out, it's not us at all. I think the VMracks guys who helped us troubleshoot it on their end to ensure we were hitting their network, they somehow figured it out and talked us all through it from his office without a screen, just genuinely good people over there, they figured it out along with many of us, except well the most rude employees i've encountered with this company, and they're a rival competitor VM hosting provider.
I like you guys but you're frustrating me, and i've been with you 4-5 years, and i've slowly started pulling my work off and onto aws and azure and vmracks, and i dont know, i just dont get it. how can you have such a wide array of people ranging from awful to amazing and generous. It's hasnt been until the last 10 months really that i've become frustrated, all this other one-click install junk is cool for a stay at home mom with an etsy page but who is your real demographic? It WAS .NET people now it's wordpress apache shared i'm sure, but please do somethinggg! ---- from what I can tell A2 seems like the logical choice, to answer your question, sorry, I didn't realize I was responding to your response to mine lol Okay i'm done venting. back to work now! 
Can you give us an idea of when you will implement it, if ever, that's all I need to know, do you ever plan to implement it, and are you working on it currently, or are you working on rolling out like a etch-a-sketch app for one-click app installs...merge with vista print and drop the other crap and focus on what you used to be good at. I'm here, for a night more at least. I have looked every day for 2 weeks since I left that job because I need a reliable host for my business that can run everything I need. Node.js (that would be cool), but asp.net core, I feel like you could delete some of the framework and have most of it finished! Okay really i'm done now before people start to boo.. Smiley Happy thanks for the vent sesh

Product Team
Product Team

Hello All, 

Thank you for your candid feedback on this thread. 

Specifically for our Shared Hosting Environment (Windows Web Hosting with Plesk),  the move to support .Net Core requires an upgrade to Plesk Onyx.  We have looked at this upgrade to Plesk Onyx more than once, and due to the complexities and potential impact to our customers, it is not something we are considering to add to our near-future roadmaps. 

We are however continuing to work with our partners to explore alternative avenues as we do fully understand the desire from a portion of our customer base to have access to .Net Core.

Thanks again for your feedback and patience with this matter.

So "no plans in the near future" means GoDaddy will likely miss the boat even with ASPNET Core 2.0 (which is slated for release Q4/2017 - NOW!).  I'm already long gone to another provider; I think other devs won't put up with this kind of nonsense either.  The fact that GoDaddy can't leverage PLESK to accommodate Core in their existing toolset OR have the know-how and willingness to bite the bullet and upgrade to newer PLESK, is ridiculous.  PLESK Onyx works for other providers (I know, since I am now using it), so it should be a given that they can provide a seamless upgrade path to GoDaddy.   

...You can please all the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time; but not all the people all of the time!

Means never its probably costing them

Where do you host?  Recommend?

New

Microsoft Azure makes deploying Core apps extremely easy.

Almost 3 years later, still no support for shared hosting?  We have Plesk Onyx, what else?

Product Team
Product Team
Solution

Hello Everyone. Wanted to give you a quick update. .NET core 1.0/1.1/2.0 has been installed on all of our Plesk Shared hosting systems. This feature is not present in the Plesk UI at this time, but it is available for use by default. .NET Core applications can be manually uploaded via FTP or Visual studio. 

MatthewR - GoDaddy | Product Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks for addressing this long overdue issue!  (It's actually kinda nice that we don't have to set it up!)