cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Tatendaj
New

Advice on Hosting Shared vs Business

I understand that the question won't be super straightforward but i will try give as much info as possible. For a couple years i've used my Godaddy Economy hosting to host a simple wordpress blog  (at most 1000 views a month) and its been fine. Recently decided to expand it into a multisite with a car dealership & car classifieds as the 2 subsite using some themes. Now these subsites aren't live yet and don't have a lot of content as i'm still setting them up and customising etc but i've found myself running into 503, I/O, ram full issues. This can be easily be repeated by trying to open multiple pages/posts in seperate tabs to edit for instance. This obviously worries me as if you have 1000 users all trying to upload/search for things it's probably going to run out of memory.

Initially i'm trying to spend as little as i can to make the site functional and i'm on the fence between ultimate shared hosting and launch business hosting. Obviously the more resources the better but is anyone else running something similar/ wordpress multisites on Ultimate Shared and what sort of traffic/stability are they getting

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MrVapor
Super User 2020

@Tatendaj 

For what you want to do, shared hosting is the worst option you can choose. You will always, always, always run into resource issues, I promise you. That's before any traffic shows up. Once people start showing up, you can expect your website to go down pretty often due to lack of resources.

You can do what you want to do on the lower tier of the Business hosting. You get to keep all the resources to yourself and it will handle a site like you describe. Shared hosting isn't designed to handle eCommerce, really. Hosting companies like to say it does, but years of experience tell me that's not true.

I highly recommend the Buisness Hosting.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MrVapor
Super User 2020

@Tatendaj 

For what you want to do, shared hosting is the worst option you can choose. You will always, always, always run into resource issues, I promise you. That's before any traffic shows up. Once people start showing up, you can expect your website to go down pretty often due to lack of resources.

You can do what you want to do on the lower tier of the Business hosting. You get to keep all the resources to yourself and it will handle a site like you describe. Shared hosting isn't designed to handle eCommerce, really. Hosting companies like to say it does, but years of experience tell me that's not true.

I highly recommend the Buisness Hosting.

* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

View solution in original post

@Tatendaj 

To tag onto what @MrVapor  said - I personally would not recommend using Multi-site setup - While yes you have one login and can manage multiple sites, you are storing all the sites in one database. Over the 100s of WordPress sites that I manage there have only been 2 times when I used multisite

1) For an events company that setup many "micro sites" - 5 page event sites with a registration form

2) An association that wanted to have chapter sites that were cookie cutter and again they limited the functionality on each site. 

I also had both of these on a VPS server so I had much more control over the resources / settings

Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

@PL281 I am running a small tech blog around 2MB space name https://dlightdaily.com

It is around 3 years old.

but I don't know the drawback of the running the site on shared hosting.

@dlightdaily 

Since you are using CloudFlare already the shared hosting should be plenty

Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *