cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Does WordPress under Plesk even work?

I'm about to cancel my account with GoDaddy out of pure frustration.  After spending two hours with support yesterday and they "admitting" there seems to be a problem with their "back end" ... my task was simple, Add a WordPress Theme.

This is entirely under the control of GoDaddy, and yet it doesn't work at all?  Support tried to install themes, I tried to install themes, none of them installed correctly and all presented errors.  When I click on the link to install the plugins the theme uses, I get an "Access not allowed" error message??

A quick search on these forums and 1000's of users with the same errors and NO SOLUTION?

I'm running a Windows Ultimate hosting with Plesk ... if WordPress simply doesn't work with this paid hosting option, why pretend it does?

I can't install any WordPress theme without getting an error:

"Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

So why is GoDaddy selling something that obviously doesn't work??

Rob

3 REPLIES 3
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Does WordPress under Plesk even work?

You can indeed Install WordPress on Windows @RobAins. Your install seems to be standard as near as I can tell from what you've described? Does your WordPress install display properly with the default theme in place? Does the problem only occur when your template had been introduced? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Highlighted
Solution

Hi Roy,

I solved the problem by NOT using Plesk on a Windows Ultimate hosting plan.  I purchased a Linux Hosting plan with cPanel and setup WordPress from there ... I can now install themes and plug-ins without any issues and my site is up and running.

My word of advice, don't use Windows Ultimate hosting if anyone plans to use WordPress.

On a side note: I got a very competent support person on my 3rd try with GoDaddy, he was able to quickly and easily get me to a working solution.  He was honest that the Plesk system on Windows isn't as reliable as it is on Linux with cPanel.

Cheers, Rob.

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

There is indeed some uniqueness when running WordPress on Plesk @RobAins. I am glad that you got it sorted. A note about GoDaddy support: I find that all support personnel work to the very best of their ability and of course ability differs from rep to rep. Occasionally I've even found different communication styles that were not compatible with my own. When I have a really good support experience I count myself fortunate and when I occasionally have a less than steller experience I take a breath and call again as you did. Glad that you are sorted and ecstatic that you ended up with a rep that understood your situation and was able to offer you a solution. Press on! (bad WordPress joke)

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head