cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Economy Web Hosting Linux ending?

I'm told by customer service that GoDaddy is completely ending its Economy Web Hosting Linux plans? Why is this being sold if we're "required" to pay almost double to be forced onto a CPanel plan?

I only use my hosting for storage purposes and file reference purposes, for the most part.

9 REPLIES 9
Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Re: Economy Web Hosting Linux ending?

The legacy HCC based plans have not been sold for years, though existing plans have been able to renew for convenience.  Now the software that the legacy plans run on is so old it is highly recommended to switch over to cPanel.

I was told, during a phone call,  that this would cost me an additional $80 for the year, plus the $93 I was being credited.

That's $173/year, or ~$14 - $15 per month, up from $9.99. Why should I be paying 50% more for a feature I'm not going to use? Worse yet, why is GoDaddy still selling Economy Web Hosting Linux as a plan if I am mandated to switch over to CPanel?

Super User III

Like I said GoDaddy has not been selling those plans for a while, the current offers for Linux hosting are cPanel.  Right now it looks like the Economy cPanel is listed at $10.99/mo, but you should be able to get it cheaper with an annual plan that would also apply a discount for the initial purchase.

Highlighted

https://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting

Economy
Basic resources for starter sites.

As low as
$5.99/mo
On sale - Save 33%
$8.99/mo when you renew4

Super User III

Yes, that appears to be a sale price on the cPanel plans I was mentioning.  Will that plan fit your needs?

Yeah. I just use this for web hosting of files, mostly. My users update their clients automatically and this houses those important files.

I don't use anywhere near 100 GB, so that plan would 100% work. How do I switch over? And will my file system be completely intact?

Solution

Hi @npettinato14,

Welcome to the Community!

It looks like you found a great deal online to upgrade to the cPanel hosting. However, we'll take this opportunity to advise you that it is against our Terms of Service to use a hosting plan merely for file storage or an FTP share site. There are other options available if you do not have need of a hosted website for online viewing. Please contact our customer support, as they will be happy to listen to your storage needs and help fit you into a plan that will be best suited to you. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

I probably explained it poorly. Parts of my site are hosted on GoDaddy, just not the whole thing.

Sounds like my current needs will be fine and I'll be able to pay to migrate my files over to the new hosting type for $100 or so.

Super User III

Hey @npettinato14 , have you been able to get moved over to a newer plan?