cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

FTP Stopped working

I am not able to log into my website via FTP using Filezilla. It's been working for years; but today I needed to make a change and I cannot get in. I am noticing that it appears there's a new daemon (Pure-FTPd) running on the server. I tried both plain FTP and FTP over TLS - same response on both), tried changing password (the server say that failed - why?). Is the problem on my end or on GoDaddy? I'm not seeing a log and I'm not able to even turn logging on. Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution

Re: FTP Stopped working

Turns out that the issue was on my end. It was a silly thing like assuming the password in the FTP program was changed when I made my regular periodic change. So, there was no real problem after all.

@PL281 

1) Personally recommend CyberDuck over Filezilla

I sometimes wish that things were as simple as changing the tool but alas, I work in an environment where others bless the tools we are bestowed to use. Besides, for what I need of it, there's nothing wrong with Filezilla - it simply works and has done so for more than a decade.

2) Have you tried SFTP?

I'm all about KISS paradigm. Problems with infrastructure, firewalls, certificates, ports and red tape - too many hassles for what I'm needing. Simple FTP is good enough and relying on the host to provide a level of security for our portal works for me. My end has redundant security and version control, can always rebuild should it become necessary. I have no need to add to complexity.

3) What type of server are you on - cPanel / VPS / something else?

We're virtual (VPS) and keeping it simple.

--FeedingHunger

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@FeedingHunger 

2) Have you tried SFTP?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted
Solution

Turns out that the issue was on my end. It was a silly thing like assuming the password in the FTP program was changed when I made my regular periodic change. So, there was no real problem after all.

@PL281 

I sometimes wish that things were as simple as changing the tool but alas, I work in an environment where others bless the tools we are bestowed to use. Besides, for what I need of it, there's nothing wrong with Filezilla - it simply works and has done so for more than a decade.

2) Have you tried SFTP?

I'm all about KISS paradigm. Problems with infrastructure, firewalls, certificates, ports and red tape - too many hassles for what I'm needing. Simple FTP is good enough and relying on the host to provide a level of security for our portal works for me. My end has redundant security and version control, can always rebuild should it become necessary. I have no need to add to complexity.

We're virtual (VPS) and keeping it simple.

--FeedingHunger

View solution in original post