cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

FileZilla isn't connecting to Godady, even with correct details

I'm trying to connect FileZilla for FTP file transfer, but it isn't connecting, instead its showing following message. I'm able to publish my website using Visual Studio to rule out "my IP is blocked", and I am able to publish my site. For ease of use and flexibility of editing or adding or removing only 1 file from server I need FileZilla.  Can any one help me with this issue. This godaddy telephone support is worst, no one picks up "2 minutes to connect to agent" I waited 12 minutes. 
Status: Connecting to 182.*.*.*:21...  - (I've removed my IP here)
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Microsoft FTP Service
Command: AUTH TLS
Error: Could not connect to server
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Microsoft FTP Service
Command: AUTH TLS
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Could not connect to server
Status: Delaying connection for 5 seconds due to previously failed connection attempt...

4 REPLIES 4

Re: FileZilla isn't connecting to Godady, even with correct details

You need to accept the server certificate on your local machine.

Also, check the site manager in FileZilla and make sure the SERVER TYPE is on auto detect and the transfer settings are on default.

Just to let you know FileZilla says IP Blocked but actually its not your Godaddy hosting IP but Filezilla not connecting as you havent installed or accepted the secure certificate...

Took my a while to work it out as it only starting blocking on the last Filezilla software update.

Are you an employee? 

By the way, I've already tried Google search, but none of the solutions are working. FileZilla works from my office, but not from my home machine. 

I have couple of questions: 

1) About blocking IP in FileZilla? Does FileZilla black list server IPs?

2) I've run Charles and noticed that FileZilla is waiting for response from server.

3) Accepting certificate. How do I get the certificate and how to install it on my machine? 

4) Should I Install any other FTP program? If so, which program supports Godaddy hosting? 

Highlighted
Solution

I always used Smart FTP until they put the price up so switched to FileZilla and found it much better and FREE!. A few months ago they did a software update and I was getting the same error and couldn't connect to my Godaddy hosting accounts. 

I went back to Smart FTP for a while but got frustrated that I wasn't using the software I now wanted to use and hadn't solved the problem.

Eventually I installed the Godaddy server certificate on my local PC and all worked fine.

====

Delete the site from My Sites.

Create a new site from My sites (not quick connect)

It should ask you to accept Godaddy cert. - Accept it.

*** Make sure you set the 'Protocol' in General Settings to SFTP- SSH File Transfer Protocol

I faced this problem. Contacted GoDaddy India support. The 1st support person asked me to set the timeout to 6000 secs !! He wanted me to wait for 150 minutes for each try. That's the solution. Second time when I contacted the support, they asked me to clear the browsing history and restart the machine! I knew it's not going to work.

Finally after browsing through some posts on web, I tried the following, which worked.

I changed the 'Encryption' option as 'Only use plain FTP' in the Site Manager of Filezilla. It worked immediately.