cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GoDaddy Site Backup shortcomings

We have GoDaddy's Site Backup service that is supposed to provide an easy way to backup and restore our site.  But the way the backups are implemented makes that process a daily chore to keep up.  Our website's content (pages + database) are about 1 GB.  The Site Backup has a storage capacity of 10 GB.  Initially we naively thought that that means that we will always have about 10 days worth of backups available for the last 10 days at any given time, and that seemed like all that we could ever want.  But the backup process does not automatically roll over the backups once the total storage limit of 10 GB is exhaused (that is, it does not delete the backup from 10 days ago to make use of the latest day's backup); instead it simply stops all backup jobs until the storage space is cleaned up manually by the end user (us).  That is an extremely non-user friendly and misleading feature.  It forces the user to manually delete backups every couple of days to avoid the system stopping all backups due to storage running out.  As if that was not enough, the process of deleting older backups manually to reclaim space does not utilize a smart UI to allow the user to check off all the days for which the backup can be deleted.  No, the user must click each day's backup one at a time.  So if you wait a week to check the state of your backups, you may have to click 7 times to delete 7 days worth of old backups.

All in all, it almost seems like GoDaddy wants to make the feature as limited and non-user friendly as possible so the customer would simply opt for a much larger storage allocation for a higher price tag.  This is not a smart solution and I strongly urge the GoDaddy tech team to address its short comings.  If there are other options offered by GoDaddy at the same price point as the basic Site Backup service i would be interested to know about these.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Employee
Employee

Re: GoDaddy Site Backup shortcomings

Site backup does incremental backups, if your site is 1gb you should be able to backup all 30 days, unless all of your content is changing regularly.

As far as other systems, if your site is a wordpress site, we have backups available as part of Pro Sites, available at godaddy.com/pro/sites.

Employee
Employee

I'm trying to think of what would fill up site backup's storage. Something has to be saving new content regularly. Do you have a backup plugin saving backups to your file structure? You might try excluding that folder from site backup.

New

I totally agree with alsalammasjid.  Somewhere around mid-January 2018, suddenly my "unlimited backups" were capped at 10G. I have three small Wordpress sites that I'm backing up. No clue what is happening or why other than I have to go in MYSELF and manually delete backups for more space because the GoDaddy system has run out of storage space for my "unlimited storage" account. Yes, we are all paying extra $ monthly for "Site Backup" but at this rate, it's totally not worth it for me. Calling or chatting online with GoDaddy support staff AVERAGES 90 minutes (after waiting at least 30 minutes for a rep) while they spend 80 minutes trying to sell me more "capabilities" and 10 minutes actually sort of helping to resolve my problem. AND then you don't get a chat transcript -- although GoDaddy keeps one so they can push back whenever you say what happened on the last online chat. Site Backup was sold to me as "unlimited space for backups." And the only thing I can do online is to "upgrade" to 20G "unlimited space" so GoDaddy can collect more money from me.  I deleted two weeks of backups and some had reappeared when I checked again today. And yes, there should be a checkoff, not deleting ONE AT A TIME. Ridiculous user interface. Online chat rep confirmed I had "unlimited storage space for backups" and "usually this doesn't happen" so I should check with the hosting team to find out what is going on. Another 2 hours on chat while they spend 95% of it trying to sell me other stuff?  No thanks.

This company also provides no option to change the backup frequency. I don't need 30 days of backups. Overall, I need ONE full backup, not a bunch of "small interval backups." Also I just really need 7 days of backups total, not 30 days. Overall this company does bait-and-switch with "unlimited anything" being a flat out lie. I don't have a ton of time to fool with GoDaddy hosting/help for two hobby sites and my one business site has very few changes per month. So what I'm saying is I agree totally with you. I haven't bothered contacting GoDaddy for this latest backup storage space issue because I'm spending my free time looking for another hosting provider. 

Having been a CIO for a large organization, I would have flat out fired my hosting provider if they played such games. I have never seen an organization that is so set on selling more rather than addressing and fixing a current client's problem(s).