Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
jessmac78
New

Help, email comment form keeps giving error

In order to cut down on spam, I decided to exchange my "mailto" for an email contact form on my website. I installed the ContactForm 1.3 application and in an attempt to test it, I tried to send a comment from my personal email to the email associated with this website. When I clicked "submit" my browser gave me an error message:

This page isn’t working

www.arc-geo.com is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

I have no idea what is causing this error. I did do a search here to see if anything similar had been posted and there was a "solved" topic, but it doesn't sound like the issue I've been having... And to be honest I know next to nothing regarding CSS, PHP, etc... So I tried to follow the steps in the solution but it didn't seem to mirror my situation at all. Does anyone have any idea how this could be resolved? Thanks in advance.

Update: I decided to install a plugin via my WordPress dashboard and it seems to be working fine. Still it would be nice to have some idea of how to prevent the above from happening in the future should it arise. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PL281
Super User IV

@jessmac78 

I missed your edit - glad you got it working - generally speaking if you are using WordPress you want to install WordPress plugins

The ContactForm that is from Installatron is more designed if you had a more traditional HTML site and needed a form - that Installatron app is from 2006 so I wouldn't recommend it anyways.

The biggest thing I will tell you right now with WordPress is 

1) BACKUP!!! - make sure you have a backup plugin that is running on a regular basis (I prefer daily but if you aren't changing a lot weekly could work as well)

2) UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE - make sure you monitor for when plugins / WordPress core and your theme are updated - not updating is what leads to sites getting compromised.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PL281
Super User IV

@jessmac78 

I missed your edit - glad you got it working - generally speaking if you are using WordPress you want to install WordPress plugins

The ContactForm that is from Installatron is more designed if you had a more traditional HTML site and needed a form - that Installatron app is from 2006 so I wouldn't recommend it anyways.

The biggest thing I will tell you right now with WordPress is 

1) BACKUP!!! - make sure you have a backup plugin that is running on a regular basis (I prefer daily but if you aren't changing a lot weekly could work as well)

2) UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE - make sure you monitor for when plugins / WordPress core and your theme are updated - not updating is what leads to sites getting compromised.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Thank you so much for all the advice @PL281. I'm really new to this so it helps to see the distinction between the WordPress plugins and everything else ... and of course the recommendations for backup and updates.

Thanks again!