cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Hosting on Godaddy but want to use Route53 for DNS

Hi

My website is hosted on Godaddy hosting platform. I want to use AWS Route53 for managing the DNS.

Where should I point the origin to in ROute 53? Since the hosting is shared, I do not have a dedicated IP for the website.

Thanks!!

4 REPLIES 4
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Hosting on Godaddy but want to use Route53 for DNS

@bhageria 

Even if you are on shared (cPanel) hosting - You still have an IP address assigned to your server/account - You would just point to that IP address

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks for replying. Yes there is an IP address but it shows as "Shared IP Address".

Won't this IP be used by other hosted websites also?

Say I and another person Tom both get the same shared IP and both configure Route53 to point to this IP. Won't that be a problem? Will Godaddy redirect the requests for my site to my files?

Super User III
Super User III

@bhageria 

GoDaddy does the routing at their side - for example with Managed WordPress there are many sites that have the same IP address - GoDaddy handles when a "request" comes in - (someone types your domain into the browser) that it directs (maps) that to the correct account

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thank you so much for clarifying!!Smiley Happy