cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

How to restore a ms sql database from local computer to godaddy hosted site.

Hi,

I have a current MS SQL Database and wanted to restore it to Godaddy hosting.  I can't find the feature in Godaddy that will restore the .bak file .  

Hoping for your assistance.

Thanks and God Bless,

Godwin

5 REPLIES 5
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Re: How to restore a ms sql database from local computer to godaddy hosted site.

@Caers

Hi, again Godwin -- here's a how to article.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: How to restore a ms sql database from local computer to godaddy hosted site.

The how to article referenced above does not show "how to restore a ms sql database from local computer" using a .bak file, instead it shows  restore using a backup that was created using plesk back up.

Does anyone know how to restore using a .bak file?

Apparently they do not allow it, period.  

https://www.godaddy.com/help/limitations-to-restoring-bak-files-3411

This is incredible because it changes the entire scope of the offered hosting service.  They don't say anywhere in the online marketing that your business can only effectively generate new data, not bring data with you.  Apparently you only learn that once you are already signed up and try to export content, which would be among the very first actions.  

Gator Hosting apparently has no problem with the risk mentioned in the GoDaddy document. If they offer a workaround, it's sure not presented in the help document.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @tdave365. It's true that our system doesn't support importing .bak files for security reasons. There is a guide on how to convert a .bak file to a .sql file here. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Bingo, that's the tip that works, thanks. 

The method described is essentially the "standard" way in MySQL (versus the discussed MS SQL) -- you create and restore dumps via scripting. 

The shame here is that I had a vague recollection on how to do a SQL dump from MS SQL quite a few years ago, I just forgot.  Seeing the instructions now, I'm slapping my forehead.  Of course!  

Thanks again.