cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

I lost my websites and all my emails. Can I ask for the compensation for my losses?

Hello everyone,

I had a deluxe hosting plan with GoDaddy which went down on the 11th of Mar and is not yet back to normal.

They have arranged for the new server but now as it is a new server, it is missing all my website files and all the emails.

It is useless for me as I am not going to re-upload all the files again as it is not my fault at all. It has been 2 3 days now when my websites went down and the emails has stopped working.

Now I have already subscribed to Google G Suite for my email needs and plan to do the same for my hosting (will transfer all my domains as well).

Now I need to ask all the experts here if I can ask for the compensation for the losses I had these past few days? I have about 9 months of unused period for my hosting plan, I renewed it recently in Jan or Feb I think.

Any help will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@sandeeppatel 

I have had a VPS server crash before and was not paying or doing manual backups of the individual sites. GoDaddy fortunately had a snapshot of the server from about 3 days earlier so I just had to restore the individual WordPress sites.

The recovery restore can take a few days as it is not as simple as grabbing a file from an external hard drive, it is a bit of a process from my understanding.

I would tell you that unless you are specifically paying for a backup or it is specifically included in the terms of your hosting plan, that this could happen with any provider.

Personally I've never hosted email and websites on the same server for this exact reason, if one should go down the other could still be active. It's also why I don't host DNS on the cPanel accounts either.

I'm sorry I don't have another answer for you - depending on the snapshot they have, they maybe able to restore part of your site. As mentioned in my last email, just be aware going the cloud route doesn't always include a cPanel (or backup for that matter) so make sure you do your research.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PL281
Super User 2020

@sandeeppatel 

1) We are end users so we cannot help with account related issues

2) Was GoDaddy doing a migration or just setting up a new server for you?

3) Were you emails on the same server or hosted elsewhere - (what is your domain as we maybe able to look up some history) 

4) Google Suite and Google Cloud are very different things - Google Cloud is generally command line driven so unless you understand Linux / Command Line Management I would be very careful with that.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Hi @PL281 

Thank you for your reply.

It was going all fine until one morning I wake up to find my websites down and emails (hosted on the same server as my websites) stopped.

I called their support to find that it was a "known" server issue (I think it crashed) and they are working on it. So they asked me to wait while they fix.

Now after 2 days they were able to restore the cPanel/server (I assume they setup a new blank server) but without my website files and emails (I got my databases though).

I again called them where they insisted I reupload the files from my OWN backup which I rejected. So they said that they will try restore the files and emails but it will take time (they are not sure of the exact time frame here).

It has taken another 2 days, but no progress yet.

I am not sure what to do here. Should wait for them to fix (for which they dont have time frame) or look for another provider?

You being an user yourself, please share what is the best I can do here.

I have lost trust with GoDaddy now and this was not expected with them and is very unprofessional.

The last solution for me is to go the cloud way with Azure or AWS (I know it is going to get more expensive) with proper backup servers.

@sandeeppatel 

I have had a VPS server crash before and was not paying or doing manual backups of the individual sites. GoDaddy fortunately had a snapshot of the server from about 3 days earlier so I just had to restore the individual WordPress sites.

The recovery restore can take a few days as it is not as simple as grabbing a file from an external hard drive, it is a bit of a process from my understanding.

I would tell you that unless you are specifically paying for a backup or it is specifically included in the terms of your hosting plan, that this could happen with any provider.

Personally I've never hosted email and websites on the same server for this exact reason, if one should go down the other could still be active. It's also why I don't host DNS on the cPanel accounts either.

I'm sorry I don't have another answer for you - depending on the snapshot they have, they maybe able to restore part of your site. As mentioned in my last email, just be aware going the cloud route doesn't always include a cPanel (or backup for that matter) so make sure you do your research.

View solution in original post

Hi @PL281 

Thank you for your suggestion.

I think I am going to do the same as you did (i.e. hosting email and websites on different server) to prevent such things happening again in the future.

I have already started using Google Suite for my email needs and will look for other ways to host my websites.

I think I am not going to go with GoDaddy anymore, this experience won't allow me to do so.

I appreciate your all the help.

Thank you again