cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper V

Installing DNN (formerly DotNetNuke) on GoDaddy Hosting

DotNetNuke is now called DNN. When I try to find it in the applications GoDaddy offers DNN does not exist. I do find DotNetNuke however.

The version that is available is 7.0.6. Version History says it is 3 years old. Is there anything I can do to get version 8 installed into my shared hosting? Has anyone done that? DNN is critical to my plans and I want to start from the current version if possible.

Can I Install DotNetNuke in my Root Folder? | Web & Classic Hosting is sure scary. It implies that everyone that goes to a DNN site hosted by GoDaddy must wait to be redirected. I hope that is a misunderstanding and not true.

I am still not sure how DNN portals work (as in Setting Up DotNetNuke Portals with Windows Shared Hosting) although I have read a book about DNN. That is a separate subject but if someone has experience with that then I am curious about it.

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Installing DNN (formerly DotNetNuke) on GoDaddy Hosting

Hi @SamHobbs

Good question. I tried to install DNN 8 manually but wasn't able to make it work. It's possible that it has dependencies that just aren't available on our Plesk Shared Hosting accounts. I kept getting the following error:

Could not load file or assembly 'DotNetOpenAuth.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=2780ccd10d57b246' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

It definitely wouldn't work on our Web & Classic Web Hosting, which is what the support documents you linked to are for. However, the version that is offered within the control panel itself as an app installer should work for you.

Anyone else in the community have experience with this? Maybe the error I posted will help someone understand what's missing.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Highlighted
Helper V

Thank you.

First, I am not surprised that the GoDaddy article is for classic Windows. As I said, there is not much else to be found in GoDaddy about DNN.

I assume that since GoDaddy offers us the opportunity to install DNN 7 that DNN 8 will work too but perhaps not. I have not yet looked at the requirements for DNN 8. Maybe it requires a version of SQL Server later than what DNN 7 does and if so I hope GoDaddy now has that newer version.

When I search the internet for answers to the error (using "DotNetOpenAuth.Core PublicKeyToken=2780ccd10d57b246 0x80131040") you encountered, I don't get anything relevant to setup of DNN itself. Are you sure you are installing DNN itself? You probably are and that error is not commonly encountered for installs. Did you download the DNN setup from CMS Download, Open Source Download - DNN Software? I think we want the one with the heading "INSTALL PACKAGE". Note that if you click that button then the download will be done immediately.

I am not sure, but I think DNN has an upgrade feature. Perhaps we can install DNN 7 from GoDaddy's installer and then upgrade after that. I should try that.  If it does not work then I hope I will be able to wipe out all remnants if necessary.

New

I was running into some of the same issues you guys were. I was able to get DNN 8.0.3 installed in a virtual directory following these steps:

• Create an SQL DB.
  • Create a virtual directory. In Plesk select Virtual Directories.  Make sure you are in the site root and click Create Virtual Directory.  Leave all the default settings and click OK to create the application and directory. 
  • Plesk will browse you into your newly created folder. Click Directory Access Permissions.  Click on Application pool group (IWPG_{your plesk user name}).  Select Allow Full Control check box (all others will check themselves).  Click OK.
  • On your local PC, unzip DNN 8.x install files into a directory and using your favorite editor edit the web.config file. Change the SiteSqlServer setting under connectionStrings to your SQL DB connection string.
  • Upload all DNN files to the new virtual directory (NO NOT BROWSE TO THE SITE YET!).
  • Go back to Plesk and make sure you’re still in the virtual directory you created and click “ASP.NET Settings”. Make sure the SiteSqlServer connection string is what you entered (this tells you that you’ve uploaded the web.config correctly and now Plesk can make it’s edits to the correct web.config file). 
  • On the “ASP.NET Settings” change the “CAS trust level” to “Full” and click OK.
  • Browse to the site. The DNN installation screen should appear.  Fill in all the information for the host, site and database, then click Install.  Let the application install and you’re done!

Once you have upgraded from 7 to 8 go to web.config and replace this line as follows:

<compilation debug="false" strict="false">

Replace with:

<compilation debug="false" strict="false" targetFramework="4.5">

Dnn 8 is very slow in godaddy though, couldn't find why Smiley Sad, neither support guys.

Cheers

Has anyone tried to install at the httpdoc root?

Yes, You can do it in the root, ie; domain.com without the .com/directory extension, I have done it several times now, it works perfectly once you get it up and running. Just follow the steps listed earlier but in the root folder, not in a virtual directory, and it will work. Although, I have had to step back and redo the process, but a couple of times, but once you get it working, it works great! DNN 9.1 is the version I am working with now.