cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Migration notice email does not include basic information

I assume that lots of us got am email about a migration that contains:

"During the migration, your hosting account control panel might be inaccessible for up to 48 hours. We recommend that you don't make any changes to the hosting plan (e.g. platform changes) during this time."

No one at GoDaddy (now known as GoAsFarAwayFromDaddyAsQuicklyAsPossible) thought that maybe WHEN would be information that we NEED?

Really?????

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Migration notice email does not include basic information

@devaghost 

If you're on the legacy hosting GoDaddy offers, this has been known for years. I believe I received an email about 5 years ago suggesting I move to the newer cPanel platform they offered. This migration has been years in the planning and GoDaddy has notified customers numerous times. Servers do not last forever.

And sorry, they can't give you a date and time that your site specifically will be moved on a shared server. Moving a shared server involves moving hundreds of accounts at a time and trying to make sure nothing happens to the site. If you want to have more direct control of your downtimes, I'd suggest using a VPS or a Dedicated Server.

If you do decide to seek other hosting due to this you should know that this isn't something that happens infrequently at other hosting companies as most have to upgrade multiple items on their servers more frequently. Believe me or not, I know from experience. 

I wish you luck friend!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted

That's ridiculous - and you're missing the point..

"At some random time in the future, you will be unable to run your operations for some period of time" provides no information. (Just as telling people multiple times that "at some time during the next five years, we'll be affecting your operations" provides no useful information does.)

Yes they can tell us when their staff will be starting this process. I'm pretty sure that their management doesn't say "Hey Bob, whenever you feel like coming in and pressing these buttons, come on in and press these buttons."

(My clients' websites are spread out on most of the hosting companies and, yes, they all have their incompetences. "They suck too" is a crappy excuse. 

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @devaghost. Thanks for posting. The email in question probably looked like this:

We're migrating your hosting account.

We're migrating your hosting account, [domain name], to a new (and, frankly, better) server. We might need your help, though.

• If your domain name and hosting are in the same GoDaddy account, we already updated your domain name's IP address for you and no action's required. Easy, huh? You can stop reading now, but we briefly explain IP addresses below, if you're interested.
  • If your domain name and hosting are not in the same GoDaddy account or your domain name is registered elsewhere, we need you to update your domain name's primary IP address to: [IP address]

Domain names use IP addresses to "find" their hosting accounts. It's part of a system that makes the internet work called DNS. Because your hosting account's IP address will change during the migration, your domain name's IP address needs to be updated so it can find the new server.

Fortunately, it's easy to update your IP address. Contact whoever controls your domain's DNS settings (typically the company at which you registered your domain name) and they can help you out. If you registered your domain name through us, check out Adding or Editing A Records (A Records are your domain's IP addresses).

During the migration, your hosting account control panel might be inaccessible for up to 48 hours. We recommend that you don't make any changes to the hosting plan (e.g. platform changes) during this time.

If you have questions or need help, call us at +1 (480) 505-8877.

If so, this template is meant to let you know migration is starting right away. You should get another email when the migration completes so you're not left waiting. I do agree with you though that we could be clearer on the fact that migration is starting. I will make sure to pass on your feedback. Sorry for any confusion. I hope this clears up what's going on. However, please contact a GoDaddy Guide if you'd like more information on the specifics of your situation. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.