Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
YD
New

My website's down, but customer support loads and shows no issue

I run a very high-traffic website that receives tens of thousands of visitors per day. In the early morning hours of May 1st, my website suddenly went down. Nobody can access it anymore. As you might be able to imagine, I've been receiving an extremely high volume of complaints from people who aren't able to visit my site.

Every time I contact GoDaddy customer support and try to get assistance with this issue, the people I speak to are able to load my website. They even show me screenshots of my site, functioning perfectly. Anyone who works for GoDaddy can access my site, but the rest of the world cannot. This is perplexing.

Tens of thousands of people all over the world cannot access my site, but anyone working at GoDaddy HQ can load the site without a problem. This makes me wonder if perhaps my site has been blacklisted as a spam site, and GoDaddy's ISP is the one of the only ISPs in the world that has not blocked my site. This would explain why everyone outside of GoDaddy can access my site.

I submitted an IP unblock request using https://unblock.secureserver.net/ but the page told me that my website's IP address was not actually blocked. So, that theory might be dead.

Interestingly enough, if I use an FTP application like FileZilla, I can actually access all of my website's files. I still can't open it in a browser, though.

I've tried everything I can think of, and I'm at a loss. What is the solution to this problem?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @YD,

Welcome to the Community.

We understand your dismay. However, as you are on shared hosting, other users on that server can have an affect on their neighbors, as you have seen. Just as certain behaviors on your part (over-use of resources, vulnerable holes in your content, etc) could affect others there. It's a bit like living in an apartment complex. Unfortunately, malware gains access to websites by compromises in the web applications and scripts used by the individual customer, not through an overall server defect.

Website security, for all its benefits, can be a good idea on your website. You can read more about it here. It's certainly not required, it just helps you if you're the one drawing the attack. Usually this mitigation performed on the server is short-lived. They're not asking you to "pay-up" to show your website online, they're just temporarily monitoring the server to protect all users - including your site - on that server from compromise.

If you'll post your URL here, other members of the volunteer Community can check the resolution of your domain.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
YD
New

The problem was resolved.

Called GoDaddy customer support. Described the problem. After being on hold for 3 hours and 40 minutes, the problem was discovered.

Someone in the same "server pod" as me was being cyberattacked, so the entire server pod was limiting what traffic it could receive. GoDaddy's own internal network is, of course, whitelisted by GoDaddy, so all GoDaddy employees could view my site, but the rest of the Internet could not.

The solution was to purchase GoDaddy's "Website Security" which puts my site onto a whitelist and stops the server pod from limiting traffic to my server.

To be honest, it feels like I got extorted by GoDaddy. Like GoDaddy was preventing any traffic from visiting my site unless I paid them more money. Makes me feel like GoDaddy is a gangster running a protection racket. This kind of sucks.

Hi @YD,

Welcome to the Community.

We understand your dismay. However, as you are on shared hosting, other users on that server can have an affect on their neighbors, as you have seen. Just as certain behaviors on your part (over-use of resources, vulnerable holes in your content, etc) could affect others there. It's a bit like living in an apartment complex. Unfortunately, malware gains access to websites by compromises in the web applications and scripts used by the individual customer, not through an overall server defect.

Website security, for all its benefits, can be a good idea on your website. You can read more about it here. It's certainly not required, it just helps you if you're the one drawing the attack. Usually this mitigation performed on the server is short-lived. They're not asking you to "pay-up" to show your website online, they're just temporarily monitoring the server to protect all users - including your site - on that server from compromise.

If you'll post your URL here, other members of the volunteer Community can check the resolution of your domain.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

View solution in original post