cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Splinter
Resolver I

MySQL 5.6 to 5.7?

I'm trying to install some BETA forum software but I receive a MySQL error:

Insufficient MySQL version '5.6.51'. Version '5.7.31' or greater, or version '8.0.19' or greater is needed.

I'm on the Deluxe hosting package which I think is Linux.

Anyway, are there plans to upgrade MySQL and if so, how to do this please?

5 REPLIES 5
PL281
Super User IV

@Splinter 

Unfortunately on a Shared (cPanel) server you cannot upgrade MySQL - if you require an updated version you'll need to go to a VPS server where you have control over that.

I DO NOT recommend going up to 8.x as there are significant changes that can affect PHP / table names and a few other things - I had a WordPress site break after upgrading on a test server.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@PL281

Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that GoDaddy has no plans to update MySQL from 5.6.51?

I understand what you say about 8.x, but updating to 5.7.31?

The way it stands is that I will be unable to upgrade my forum later this year with all its new features, without updating to at least MySQL 5.7.31.

I'm a little concerned about this.

@Splinter 

I am an end user so I can't speak to GoDaddy's plans - I can just say that upgrading MySQL is a server based update whereas PHP is an account by account selection.

That's why I said that if you need the newer version at least at this point in time is to migrate over to a VPS where you have control of the versions installed.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Splinter
Resolver I

I was on a chat with a GoDaddy agent last night and according to him (Tucker), there is no ETA for 5.7xx. However, when pressed on the subject he said that it may arrive 'by the end of the year'.

To put this in perspective:

• MySQL 5.6 was first released on 5 February 2013
  • MySQL 5.7 was first released on 21 October 2015
  • MySQL 5.7.31 was released on 13 July 2020

Thanks for the suggestion about VPS, but from what I've seen, GoDaddy VPS looks very expensive, not to mention the headache of migrating six or seven sites over to it.

@Splinter 

The VPS I would recommend is the 2 CPU / 4GB - $44.99 with cPanel/WHM if you pay month-to-month

https://www.godaddy.com/configure?src=gs&itc=Slp_vps4_linux&plan=vps4-self-managed-lin-tier2&term=1&...

While this is has a higher cost than the cPanel server there are a number of advantages

1) Dedicated Resources vs Shared - so you will have better performance

2) You can have free SSL per site - either via cPanel or you can use Let's Encrypt

3) More Secure - You mentioned 6 or 7 sites - if you have them all on one cPanel right now - They are all in the same "sandbox" which means that if any site were to get compromised - ALL of your sites are compromised as they are all in the same account.

With a VPS / WHM - you will set up cPanel accounts on the VPS for each site so that each site has it's own "sandbox" and it much more secure - as well as you can better track resources usage across the sites.