cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awr10e
Apprentice

PHP 5.6 End of Life

Hi

PHP version 5.6 has become end of life on 19 Jan 2017 and is no longer supported, thus now a security risk.

http://php.net/supported-versions.php

Is there any plan to upgrade my server to version 7? or can i be moved to a server which is supported?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PHP 5.6 End of Life

Supported Versions

Each release branch of PHP is fully supported for two years from its initial stable release. During this period, bugs and security issues that have been reported are fixed and are released in regular point releases.

After this two year period of active support, each branch is then supported for an additional year for critical security issues only. Releases during this period are made on an as-needed basis: there may be multiple point releases, or none, depending on the number of reports.

Once the three years of support are completed, the branch reaches its end of life and is no longer supported. A table of end of life branches is available.

Currently Supported Versions Branch Initial Release Active Support Until Security Support Until
5.6 *28 Aug 20142 years, 9 months ago19 Jan 20174 months ago31 Dec 2018in 1 year, 6 months
7.03 Dec 20151 year, 6 months ago3 Dec 2017in 5 months3 Dec 2018in 1 year, 5 months
7.11 Dec 20166 months ago1 Dec 2018in 1 year, 5 months1 Dec 2019in 2 years, 5 months

Or, visualised as a calendar:

5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 7.0 7.1 1 Jan 2014 1 Jan 2015 1 Jan 2016 1 Jan 2017 1 Jan 2018 1 Jan 2019 1 Jan 2020 1 Jan 2021 Today: 8 Jun 2017 Key
Active supportA release that is being actively supported. Reported bugs and security issues are fixed and regular point releases are made.
Security fixes onlyA release that is supported for critical security issues only. Releases are only made on an as-needed basis.
End of lifeA release that is no longer supported. Users of this release should upgrade as soon as possible, as they may be exposed to unpatched security vulnerabilities.
Version specific notes PHP 5.6

As it is the final PHP 5 release, support for PHP 5.6 has been extended: active support will run for an additional four months, and the security fix period has been doubled from one to two years. Other releases are unaffected.

Employee
Employee

@awr10e

Exciting news to all GoDaddy cPanel users. Your account is now updated with the latest PHP 7.0 and 7.1! If you want to update, login to your cPanel dashboard. Then under the Software heading click “Select PHP version”. In the top left of the PHP selection page use the dropdown the PHP version you want and click set as current. You are now ready to go! But a heads-up before you update, I recommend you check you site for compatibility first. If you have any questions our customer support team is happy to help 24/7. Just call (480) 505-8877.

- Paul Seguritan, cPanel Product Manager

LegacyUser
Apprentice

As of February 27, 2019, GoDaddy's loyal long-term customers are still disappointed..

If you own either of these two products:

Deluxe Web Hosting Linux

Economy Web Hosting Linux

You can only upgrade to PHP 5.6. There is no option to upgrade to PHP 7.0 much less higher.

GoDaddy doesn't maintain standards for its products. Instead it will ask you to pay more to meet current standards, i.e., buy its C-Panel product and migrate your sites.

If you are paid up through a certain date, you may wish to move to another host just prior to that date. That is what I intend to do. I've been a GoDaddy customer since 2003. It doesn't matter to GoDaddy.