cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Photo Hosting

Does GoDaddy allow for photo hosting on a personal website?  I have used photobucket.com and flickr.com but I'm getting tired of their antics and want to host my own photos on my own library.  Is this possible?

3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Not applicable

Hi @kouks,

This looks too simple a question to be straight forward, and I'm guessing the 'antics' you point the other sites as doing is the bit that forks off..........

You basically can host anything legal...... (goes for copyright too). Wether you can cram a million photos into your hosting plan, or whether your platform is suitable  is the only limitation. 

Obviously you are not going to get the functionality of those sites you mention without a few thousand dollars to spend and a developer. But you will get something good enough to enjoy. One note though......backups!!

Well, here are the details.

I use those other sites to auto download photos from my iPhone plus I save onto my hard drive, so two locations, and I do a backup of the hard drive every few months.  That's not the issue.

I rebuild older BMWs and on several blogs do DIYs on repair instructions.  I downloaded photos to photobucket and then linked the URL to the blog, thus third part hosting of photos for the DIY.  Well, photobucket decided they did not like that and now wants to charge $400/yr for anyone to use them for third party photo hosting.  Ridiculous.  

I've since started using flicker abd I can third party host through them too, but for some reason their photos host on a computer but not on a mobile device (not sure if there are protections).  Also, not sure if flicker will also restrict third part hosting anytime soon.  

So I just need to host photos online for the DIYs I do, could be about 100 photos or so a year.  Can GoDaddy help me build a personal site so I can store photos and third party host without restrictions for the long term.  

Thanks

Retired
Not applicable

Hi @kouks,

I knew there was more to it............

You probably didn't realise this, but by doing what you did, you cost photo bucket money. Times the amount you cost them by thousands and thousands of other people doing the same thing.

It's called hot linking. Wikipedia explains it much better than I:

==================

Hotlinking is a term used on the Internet that means displaying an image on a website by linking to another website to obtain the source data of the picture each time it is needed, rather than saving a copy of it on the website on which the image will be shown. So, instead of loading picture.jpg on to their own website, a website owner uses a link to the picture as http://example.com/picture.jpg. When the hotlinking website is loaded, the image is loaded from the other website, which uses its bandwidth, costing the hotlinked website's owners money. For this reason many website owners use .htaccess files to prevent hotlinking. In some cases website owners use the .htaccess file to replace any hotlinked images with an offensive image to deter any other website owners from hotlinking.

The original image is probably owned by the original website, or maybe they got permission from someone else. It would probably be wrong to just make a copy of the original image file for use on a different web page, without being careful to get proper permission.

Hotlinking can also be used for file types other than images, including documents and videos.

==================

So it's no wonder photo bucket and others get pissed off with it. Your little ruse wasn't so innocent and that just goes to prove my hunch about your post was correct..................... 

Yes godaddy can help you build a site, just no hot linking to another BMW enthusiasts site eh? lol Smiley Happy