cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible DDOS on my site

Hi everyone,

Not sure if I'm in the right place or even if my question is proper, but I have been noticing some weird traffic on my godaddy site over the last couple of weeks.  I have a form on the bottom of my homepage (I've since commented it out) that directly sends an e-mail to me requesting a demo of my services.  I have been getting between 3-4 inquiries per hour the last couple of days by what can only be seen as a robot.  An example below:

You have new message from contact form

=============================

Name: 58e3675de4c4c

Surname: 58e3675de4c93

Email: jasonesguerra@yahoo.com

Association:

Association: 58e3675de4ccf

Phone:

Is this a problem for me?  How can I protect my site from whatever is going on here?

Please let me know if there's a better place for me to ask this question.  

Thanks,

Aaron

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Possible DDOS on my site

Re: Possible DDOS on my site

Hi @amweisberg

From the way you describe this doesn’t sound like a DDoS attack, as it would have a much higher impact on your site traffic, either taking your site down or increasing latency. Do you have any analytics installed in your GoDaddy dashboard?

You can't just block robots using your robots.txt file unless you also want to block your site (or those specific files/directories) from Google.

It sounds like a cross site scripting attack which a good WAF (Web Application Firewall) can help defend you against. There are thousands of bots (both bad bots, like what you are seeing, and good bots like the Googlebot that makes sure your site shows up in Google), so a good WAF can block out the bad guys while making sure the good guys stay in.

I’m including some links so you can learn more about the differences.