cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
estieg
Former Employee

SSH Access Problem - Tutorial

Cinsiong writes, I'm using a Mac to attempt access, but it’s not working. I tried to SSH to the system, but it failed.

I tried:

ssh username@mydomain.com

and used my username and password for godaddy.

After a few tries, seems like the server blocked me. I received:

ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer

Can someone help me?

CG writes, "Sounds like you might be using your account login information for the customer account and not the one specified for your hosting plan. Those are usually separate. Just in case, you might try a reset. Additionally, consider what jdcotter says, the account info you are supposed to be using is the Special FTP Account. CG is right about how to reset the password, but you have to go here to find the username."

Finally, here is a step-by-step guide provide by CameraClub: I was using Putty as my PC client.  I use cPanel on GoDaddy.

In short what I did (some with the direction of support)

- Activate SSH (cPanel->SSH Access)

- Create a public key for SSH

- Change Settings (Manage my account -> Setting button)

- Select Password tab

- Change the Password for the account (I took over the site from someone else and he didn't have the site's password)

- Identify the username for the account

- cPanel -> Files ->FTP Accounts

- The username for the site is under Special FTP Accounts  It is under Log In column and has a path pointing to your home directory

- Obtain site's IP address (cPanel->Website(s) IP Address)

- Using Putty:

- IP address in the Host Name (or IP address)

- Port 22

- Connection Type SSH

If I answered your question, please mark it as the solution or give it a "Kudo"
1 REPLY 1
New

Re: SSH Access Problem - Tutorial

I'm not sure if you have to generate a key to SSH using putty.. it prompts for the username and password