cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SSH Access Unclear?

I'm trying to get SSH access set up.  I have a Linux hosting plan but trying to connect from a Windows box.  I tried to figured it out on my own: first I just tried to use Putty to connect to my domain over port 22.  I was prompted for creds, supplied my GoDaddy creds, and got Access Denied.  

So after finding, cPanel > SSH Access, I clicked on it and it 'enabled' it (even though the SSH listener was already running on my server apparently), I generated a pair of SSH keys, activated them, and downloaded the public key.  I then tried to use Putty to target the .pub file but it wanted only PPKs (Putty generated key pairs).  

So I looked up this article:  https://www.godaddy.com/help/connect-to-your-server-or-shared-hosting-account-with-ssh-4943 which seemed to indicate that what I tried the very first time should've worked.  Ultimately I need to hunt around my server for my SMTP relay logs but step 1 is to figure out how to SSH into my server!  LoL.  Any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: SSH Access Unclear?

Hi @thepip3r. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! When connecting via SSH, you'll want to make sure you're using the username and password for your hosting plan, and not your GoDaddy account. This is chosen when you set up the account. If this is a shared cPanel account, your username will be displayed on your cPanel settings page within your GoDaddy account. Hope that helps. If not, feel free to provide more information. Others in the community may be able to provide you with additional suggestions.

cpanel username and password.png

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Re: SSH Access Unclear?

I have turned on my SSH but still get the following:

Shell access is not enabled on your account! If you need shell access please contact support.