cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Website uploading on PC but not tablets and phones

Hi there,

Had some issues yesterday with my website not displaying, however I thought it was work access via the work wifi (when I got home it was ok).

However, I tried to view my website from my phone today (not using the work wifi) and I get the 404 error. I messaged a friend who could get it on their PC but it wasn't uploading on their tablet, they tried a friend who had the same 404 error when trying to access via their phone.

I've never had this issue before. On a wider point I don't play around much with my website - I only ever add posts and bits via the WP dashboard (in case you thought I have been doing anything substantial).

I cannot call from work and can't use the chat, ideally I'd raise a ticket but can't find a way to do this.

Can anyone help or advise a solution? My website is www.ancientblogger.com 

thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Website uploading on PC but not tablets and phones

Hello there,

The 4XX series of HTTP error codes is directly related to a client side change. 404 is the most well-known HTTP status code out there. The browser returns a 404 HTML page when the server doesn’t find anything on the requested location.

There are two main scenarios that can result in a 404 Not Found page. Either the visitor mistyped the URL, or the permalink structure of the site has been changed and the incoming links point to pages that were moved to different locations. 404 error pages sometimes can appear on top level URLs too. It usually happens when a site has recently moved to another web server and the DNS still points to the old location. This kind of problem usually disappears after a short time.

There is one other scenario, based on you telling us that you don't do much with your site, that perhaps you may have malware. I would run a malware scan as soon as possible to determine if that's the cause. 404's can also be generated when an injection script tries to change the redirection of the URL.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

thanks, I had a quick online chat and they suggested that I need to add the hosting IP in the website security plan. I think this refers to the second of the two main scenarios you mentioned.

I'm going to go back on chat later, but in case it's easy to explain here, how do I check that this is the case and, if so, how do I change this? 

- where do I find the correct IP address

- where do I add/update it exactly?

I have a security plan on here so my site is regularly scanned from what I can tell, just hoping it's not the malware!

cheers

just to add - I've checked my DNS settings and I have two A records, one for sucuri and another for '@'. They have different IP addresses so perhaps that might be affecting things?