Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
LANORG
New

WordPress Migration

I have an OLD WordPress site hosted in a GoDaddy "Ultimate Web Hosting Linux" plan.

I am afraid to upgrade WordPress and PHP and all of my plugins as I don't want to break the site which is live.
Wondering if there is a simple way to upgrade the site component by component and roll back (undo) changes if necessary.

If that can't be done then perhaps I should get a new hosting plan (suggestions?) and backing up my old WordPress site (how?) then restoring it to the new hosting plan to see if things work before going live.
Any insight greatly appreciated.  We are a small non profit that can not afford professional help.
Thank you.
what might you recommend?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PL281
Super User IV

@LANORG 

I assume the Ultimate Web Hosting is GoDaddy's old web hosting platform that is limited to PHP 5.6 anyways.

I would recommend the Ultimate Managed WordPress hosting from GoDaddy as it includes an SSL certificate. Additionally as part of the setup the system has a script to migrate the site for you.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @LANORG. Thanks for posting. To add to what @PL281 said above, if you use Managed WordPress, you should be able to migrate your site to a staging environment first. That way you can experiement with a higher version of PHP, WordPress, and your plugins. You would need to have both plans (your current hosting and a new Managed WordPress account) active at the same time to do it that way though. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.

3 REPLIES 3
PL281
Super User IV

@LANORG 

I assume the Ultimate Web Hosting is GoDaddy's old web hosting platform that is limited to PHP 5.6 anyways.

I would recommend the Ultimate Managed WordPress hosting from GoDaddy as it includes an SSL certificate. Additionally as part of the setup the system has a script to migrate the site for you.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @LANORG. Thanks for posting. To add to what @PL281 said above, if you use Managed WordPress, you should be able to migrate your site to a staging environment first. That way you can experiement with a higher version of PHP, WordPress, and your plugins. You would need to have both plans (your current hosting and a new Managed WordPress account) active at the same time to do it that way though. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.

1. Create a new hosting account with upgraded PHP version

2. You should use UpDraft Plus Plugin to build a backup of your old WordPress Site

2. Next, Download the backup files (there would be 5 separate files)

3. After downloading it, create a WordPress site on the new server

4. Point A records on the new server. Or alternatively edit your host files on your Windows 

5. Install UpDraft plus and the backup files you saved in your local computer

6. Restore the back and upgrade plugins, themes and everything. 

7. If everything works fine, Change the DNS record