cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

can't connect to sftp

Hello !

I've got a 500 Internal Server Error on my website and can't access wp-admin anymore

I've seen on Google that the way to fix that is to access to my htacces file, but when I try to connect to my sftp with Filezilla it's not working ...

I am using the username and password given on Godaddy so I don't understand why it's happening and how to solve that

Thanks for your help !

Have a lovely day

Jessica

9 REPLIES 9
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: can't connect to sftp

Hi there,

Your ftp info may be different than your GoDaddy login... Just create a new one using your cPanel

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com

I went into my domain settings and I've got a special username and password for my sftp, that's the one I used

For the host, it is just my domain name, is that correct ?

Maybe I need to activate something ? 
I am not used at all to all this (I usually use wordpress in a very basic way) so I am completely lost ...

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI
Solution

@jessicascn,

Oh yeah, activate ssh.  Also, GoDaddy might have blacklisted your IP for too many failed attempt... Call them to double check

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

For host, use your server IP.   By the way, sFTP is port 22 and FTP is port 21

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

Also,  editing htacces file for WP is kind of a drastic move... make sure you back it up first.  What did you do before getting this error anyway?

Can you help me because I cant connect to my SFTP too? I have Wordpress managed hosting.

I too have the same issue on Wordpress Managed Hosting, my site has to many redirects errors, SFTP does not work on Filezilla or command line. Tried from different locations & different service providers but makes no difference, the issue/fault is with GoDaddy. Compensation is in order!
New

I am having the exact same issue. Use to be able to access my Wordpress site via SFTP and now it keeps timing out. Go Daddy was trying to say it was my ISP, but I can SFTP into another GDaddy account that is not managed via word press just fine. I think Go Daddy has done something on their end. Did you ever get a resolution to this issue? I'm still having the problem.

i too went through same issue but i tried replacing domain name with IP ADDRESS and problem solved !!!

so, instead of using domain name as host name, use your IP address !!