Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

gdform.php contact form

Need help.

I have a contact form. 

I use <form action="gdform.php" method=post

I have a gdform.php file on the server side but I am not sure where I got it.

On the GD help page for gdform.php it sounds like this file is provided by Go Daddy automatically.  I have found nothing that describes what the gdform.php file should look like.

However, when I leave out my gdform.php file on the server side I get an immediate error.  So I am thinking this is something I need to have.  Still I am not sure where I got the one I have.

This is the file I am using

<?php
$request_method = $_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"];
if($request_method == "GET"){
$query_vars = $_GET;
} elseif ($request_method == "POST"){
$query_vars = $_POST;
}
reset($query_vars);
$t = date("U");

$file = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . "/../data/gdform_" . $t;
$fp = fopen($file,"w");
while (list ($key, $val) = each ($query_vars)) {
fputs($fp,"<GDFORM_VARIABLE NAME=$key START>\n");
fputs($fp,"$val\n");
fputs($fp,"<GDFORM_VARIABLE NAME=$key END>\n");--
if ($key == "redirect") { $landing_page = $val;}
}
fclose($fp);
if ($landing_page != ""){
header("Location: http://".$_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]."/$landing_page");
} else {
header("Location: http://".$_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]."/");
}

?>

Is there any link to a gdform.php file that I can compare my file too?

Having problems with my contact form and support suggested that my gdform.php was out dated.  It sounded like they just made this up.  They provided no support for this statement.

My contact form was working continuously until I downgraded on 8/23 from Deluxe to Economy.  Now it works sporadically.  It flushes contact forms irregularly in a burst ever 5-7 days.  Works for a day or two and then nothing for several days. 

Any help with determining what an appropriate gdform.php file should look like would be appreciated.

I am slowly checking everything.

5 REPLIES 5
Solution

Re: gdform.php contact form

I can not believe how dumb I am or perhaps it is stupid, maybe both.  It just occurred to me yesterday that the gd in gdform is Go Daddy.  This is a script that at one time was provided by Go Daddy.

So the gdform.php file I am using is probably OK

To anyone who has gotten this far I offer this little treasure - http://mc-computing.com/ISPs/FormMail_gdform.html  This guy really knows his way around a computer.  According to the info on this site

gdform.php (Linux) are GoDaddy's suggested server-side programs for implementing form mail. In general, these work by

• Parsing the form headers
  • Creating a special XML file in a specific directory
  • Displaying the html file specified via the calling form

Another program checks for the XML files (about once every 15 minutes) and sends the email.

I suspect that my problem has to do with "Another program" checking the XML file.  Unfortunately he did not indicate the name of the XML file or the other program that checks it.

The real problem is that I downgraded from Deluxe to Economy.  After that I started having problems.  I am going to open another thread that tries to determine what happens when you downgrade.

**There is no magic.  Things do not just spontaneously happen.  I strongly believe in cause and effect and with computer in linear logic.**

Downgrading from Deluxe to Economy

I web host with, you will never guess, GD.  On 8/22 I initiated a downgrade from Deluxe Host to Economy.  Up until that time a contact form I had on my website worked.  After that time, I now receive contact form information in batches every 5-7 days.  Boo!!

What I am trying to determine is "exactly" what is involved when you downgrade from Deluxe to Economy.  I would appreciate as much detail as possible on this process.

FYI - This is what is suppose to happen but is no longer happening in real time

gdform.php (Linux) are GoDaddy's suggested server-side programs for implementing form mail. In general, these work by

• Parsing the form headers
  • Creating a special XML file in a specific directory
  • Displaying the html file specified via the calling form

Another program checks for the XML files (about once every15 minutes) and sends the email.

What happens when you downgrade from D to E.  Is there any possibility that this would effect the above linear sequence of events.

Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Re: Downgrading from Deluxe to Economy

Hey, I combined the topics as it's essentially the same overall problem.

The GD form mailer script is needed on the legacy HCC plans as they have a proprietary architecture.  The Linux plans currently sold use cPanel instead, which you can write your own form mailer script.  I suggest migrating to a cPanel plan, as the HCC plans stopped getting updated and rely on obsolete software.  The grandfathered plans have been allowed to continue for convenience, so users can migrate in their own time.  But when you start getting problems it's a good idea to go ahead and move instead of working around them, as you'd be likely to see more problems in the future.

https://www.w3schools.com/php/func_mail_mail.asp

Nate,

Thanks for the time and energy you are expending on my behalf.  From time to time I am still amazed at all the good will that is out on the internet.

I.  Your answer- upgrade to cPanel is The Party answer.  I get it every time I call for GD support.  We do not know where the problem is - upgrade to cPanel.  It is never actually detailed how upgrading to cPanel will help anything.

1.  Is GD Formmailer the only php file you can use with the legacy HCC system?

2.  You seem to suggest with cPanel, Go Daddy no longer offers a Go Daddy Formmailer of any kind and the user needs to supply their own php file?

3.  I have been looking for other form mailers.  I have found another form mailer   https://www.tectite.com/index.php  But the downloaded file is about 10 longer than the GDFormmailer.  I am reluctant to use it because who knows what is going on.  The have a gazillion comments in the code.

****4.  I am still very interested in the name of the XML file associated with my domain where the Formmailer responses go.  Is there any way to find out the name of this file.****

5.  I think it is still relevant that I started to have this problem after I downgraded from Deluxe to Economy.  I vaguely recall I had a similar problem in the past before I upgraded from Economy to Deluxe.  Something changes when switching.  Maybe the XML file.

Thanks

Super User III Super User III
Super User III

@thebigcheeseI am not a GoDaddy employee but I can tell you that HCC plans have been 'Legacy' products for some time now and are likely to be phased out soon.  If you want to get something working right now to buy you some time you could pop in a form from a 3rd party provider, like https://www.google.com/forms/about/

If your site is very old you may want to consider going for a refresh at this time.  With the website builder from GoDaddy it is extremely easy to build a basic website, but it is limited in what you can do (there's a month free trial to test if it would work for your needs).  WordPress is a lot more flexible but it can start to get pretty advanced depending on what you need.

If you do want to keep the same site it would be a matter of buying a modern Web Hosting plan and moving over the files.  Depending on how the site was built this it could be a little more complicated (if there's more server-side scripting than just the form submission).  I generally suggest setting up the new hosting and testing all went according to plan before switching over the domain and canceling the old hosting.

The cPanel plans use Installatron which offers a few different apps for handling forms.  In this day and age it is important even for small sites for there to be adequate security on user-submissions.

https://installatron.com/apps/miscellaneous