cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

"Resource Limits" Alert

Hi,

All of a sudden, I am getting this text in my cpanel, " You're at your resource limits. Visitors might have trouble accessing your site". And, its prompting me to buy Level 2 service. I googled from others, and seems like this is common issue with godaddy. I dont have much visitors, since its recently been live. I get less than 50 views in a day, still its showing this message, and website runs way slow, much slower than it used to. 

I havent installed that much of plugin, and have only one domain. Still, it shows that Memory usage is 100% (512). I am not being able to connect on this. Please help me on this one, as I am expecting more visitors in coming days.

Thanks!!!

20 REPLIES 20
Helper V

Re: "Resource Limits" Alert

@PrabhatBeyul

Hi there,

I used to get this constantly!! I would phone support yelling HELP...... come to find out not only was my website getting larger, but I was not cleaning out everything. I had so much junk taking up space. G/D support pointed this out.

See if you have this issue? 

Hope this helped

Mrsroadrunner Photography
Helper V

I found Resource limits | Linux Hosting (cPanel) - GoDaddy Help. So it is main memory that it is complaining about. The disk files are not relevant. The problem is the programming your web site is using, such as plugins. You need to evaluate what they are and what is using the greater amount of memory and if you need it. The relevant space is the execution, not the size on disk. If you need all the programming (the plugins) then you need to upgrade to Level 2. The good news is that your site will then have 2 cores for processing instead of 1 core.

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Hi @PrabhatBeyul,

Have you actually checked the resource consumption of your theme/plugins?  For example, I use several versions of a theme called Avada.  On some installations, just the core theme requires 256MB to run properly.  If I add a WooCommerce and just a couple of good marketing plugins, I'm up to 512 in a hurry on what I originally thought would be a nice "streamline installation".  Yes, its streamliine, but memory intensive.  Anyways, just thought I would offer this for consideration.

Hope it helps

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @PrabhatBeyul. Welcome to GoDaddy Community!

@mrsroadrunner@SamHobbs@JMPepper Great answers as usual Smiley Wink

In my experience, one way to help with resources (for a WordPress site) is to add a caching plugin. This especially helps if you're seeing 503 errors. A good caching plugin will create a cached copy of your website (usually in HTML) so that it can be more easily served by the web server. That cuts down on memory usage for the majority of requests. Some plugins can be set up to never clear this cache unless a change is made. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Helper V

@JesseW wrote:

Hey @PrabhatBeyul. Welcome to GoDaddy Community!

@mrsroadrunner@SamHobbs@JMPepper Great answers as usual Smiley Wink

In my experience, one way to help with resources (for a WordPress site) is to add a caching plugin. This especially helps if you're seeing 503 errors. A good caching plugin will create a cached copy of your website (usually in HTML) so that it can be more easily served by the web server. That cuts down on memory usage for the majority of requests. Some plugins can be set up to never clear this cache unless a change is made. Hope that helps. 

@JesseW

I bet this would work on a drupal site too? Now to look over my set up Smiley Happy Thanks Jesse!

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Hi @JesseW,

Thanks for weighing in on this!  We may need to open another topic on this, but you brought up a VERY interesting point given a conversation I had with tech support about 4 months ago.  I had called in about my site having a couple of problems. It took a few minutes, but a table repair did take care of the issue.  While all of this was being done, the tech agent took a look at my site that lead to a conversation on caching the site. 

I use a plugin, Comet cache, that requires php 5.6.  It flagged a warning in my WP dashboard because GoDaddy is still running 5.4 on Managed WP.  I mentioned this to him and he told me that I DID NOT NEED a caching plugin because GoDaddy's hardware did all of the caching and there weren't any gains by using a plugin.  He said he'd talked with the next tier support and that no caching plugin was the best way to use GoDaddy servers.  I did find this a bit odd. 

However, I deactivated Comet Cache, and am waiting for updates to the GoDaddy php.  I do think my site suffers on the performance side with out the caching.  In fact, the tools on site performance in the GoDaddy Pro Control panel tell me that, and the lowest scores are on the exact parameters that are optimized by software caching.

As a consumer of GoDaddy support what does one do when the information provided from two GoDaddy sources is at total conflict? 

Part 2,  I do think it is a major problem being behind on php on the managed WP plans.  Almost all of the better premium plugins prefer 5.6 and some even require it.  As someone who provides sites to a paying customer, I'm seriously considering not using the managed WP plans until the updates take place. I'll use a cPanel installation and manage resources from there.  I really like the managed WP idea, but it needs some work to live up to its potential.

Thanks,

James

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @JMPepper

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify. The "resource limits" alert would generally only show up on a cPanel account. That is a good place to use a caching plugin. However, our Managed WordPress accounts already provide server level caching, so a plugin is unnecessary (and can actually cause problems). So in your case, the information provided by support was accurate. Sorry for any confusion. 

On the PHP version issue, that is a legitimate concern. Changes are in the works to get the PHP version updated for all Managed WordPress accounts. I'd watch this thread for updates. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Community Manager
Community Manager

I bet this would work on a drupal site too? Now to look over my set up Smiley Happy Thanks Jesse!

@mrsroadrunner I'm not super familiar with Drupal, so I wouldn't be able to say for sure. It seems like a reasonable conclusion though! Let us know if you figure it out Smiley Very Happy

Helper V

@JesseW wrote:

@mrsroadrunner I'm not super familiar with Drupal, so I wouldn't be able to say for sure. It seems like a reasonable conclusion though! Let us know if you figure it out Smiley Very Happy

@JesseW

Thank you Jesse,

Ya I have it installed already Smiley Happy Hey does not hurt to check and make sure right haha Smiley Wink

Hi,

Did you fix this issue in your site? Can you help me, I have same problem. I contacted there customer support and told me to upgrade from deluxe to ultimate so that my storage will expand and able my site to live again. and told me to wait 30mins. 

I've checked my site and still got a 500 Internal Server Error cause by "resource limit"

Thanks You!

New

I pretty much have the same scenario.  I'm trying to learn Wordpress, and I purchased and installed Avada.  Following a tutorial on Youtube, I got the same error.  Now I don't know whether to upgrade or just scrap this.  Lost in a haze of confusion right now.  Aaarrrggghhh!!

Employee
Employee

Hello @Ageel!

Welcome to the community! If you've tried the suggestions here and are still having trouble, I recommend reaching out to our support team to have them go over things with you.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

How does this Core 2 help?

Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Hi All!,

Two things to do that I have found that clear up all of my resource errors. I use Avada extensively on GoDaddy.

One, upload a .user.ini file to specify some of the php settings.  Here is one that I use.

memory_limit = 2048M
max_execution_time = 220
max_input_time = 160
post_max_size = 120M
max_input_vars = 2000
file_uploads = 4
max_file_uploads = 20
upload_max_filesize = 750M

I also add this line to the wp-config.php file around line 20;

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '2048M' );

DO NOT MAKE ANY OTHER CHANGES!!!!!

Hope this helps,

James

So any modern theme is completely useless on godaddy economy? $7.99/month and "barely" usable on deluxe 10.99/month?

Even for sites with very limited visitors? 
They seem to offer UNLIMITED blah blah, and then screw you on CPU/Memory/and I/O

I can't even load a 5kb file right now on my 256k demo site.

What kind of hosting is godaddy doing with wordpress.. all wordpress sites now will cost $30/USD a month to host a barely used site just "because" they can't figure out how to manage memory and i/o on a barely used site?
What gives???!!
I guess we have to find another host option for wordpress with 'larger / modern' themes?

that is brutal.

Those settings are clearly not for shared hosting

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry that you're having trouble getting your site to run optimally on your current hosting setup.  We have many users running modern themes and plugins on all levels of our Wordpress & shared hosting plans. If you've tried the suggestions in this thread and you've tested your plugins & themes for issues, then please contact our live support teams so we can investigate this further with you.  

MPC

New

I resolved my 503 Resource Limits by resetting all my modifications in cPanel > PHP Options which I needed to do to install big plugin files. On the cPanel dashboard, it shows that my total files doesn't even come near the limit threshold.

If you changed memory_limit to a bigger value, don't forget to reset back.

New

“Resource Limit Is Reached - The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

GoDaddy Support says this happens on shared servers when someone is using excessive resources and the only solution is to increase my hosting resources by paying them more.

As as a customer of long standing this is an appalling fee generation tactic.

My sites are are down because of someone else’s use? Ridiculous.

Let this his serve as a warning, their “customer service chat” is a joke with people reading off a scripted response rather than being a resource.

Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Solution

@cxswrote:

“Resource Limit Is Reached - The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

GoDaddy Support says this happens on shared servers when someone is using excessive resources and the only solution is to increase my hosting resources by paying them more.

As as a customer of long standing this is an appalling fee generation tactic.

My sites are are down because of someone else’s use? Ridiculous.

Let this his serve as a warning, their “customer service chat” is a joke with people reading off a scripted response rather than being a resource.

In regards to alerts due to resource utilization, while it might seem these alerts are a fee generation tactic, our alerts are there to let customers know what is going on as a notice that something might be amiss with the website.

Historically, shared hosting accounts may have been impacted with resource over utilization due to other users, however in any Cpanel accounts, each user is directly responsible for their own consumption.

When it comes to resource limitation errors we would need to review the application requirements for the specific account receiving the error. When contacting our care teams, you can provide a link of application requirements if you have them.

Any alert being generated is due to a threshold being met or surpassed even for a brief instant. Here is a link to resource limitations of the environment we offer for shared Cpanel accounts
https://www.godaddy.com/help/resource-limits-12001

As another example for these alerts if you have a bowl of candy that only has 100 pieces and trick or treaters visiting your house, will you give out 20 pieces of candy to only a few kids or will you reduce and restrict the amount of candy they each get in order to have candy to give for other visitors?

Another option is to go buy more candy in order to not run out. Hence our option to increase resources.

We also have an Expert Services team that can help provide additional services for a fee that can help update and/or install modules that help with managing resources. We have created these paid options as a potentially simple way forward to increase what your hosting can do with out
having to manually move to a bigger server manually.

We hope this helps reduce the amount of confusion relating to why these notices get generated and emailed out.

Best regards,

Michael A. - GoDaddy | Employee
24/7 support available at x.co/247support