!. My domain server was updated on November 15. Windows shared hosting. Yesterday I tried updating my site. I use Dreamweaver MX for FTP transfer. It connected to the server in the "test connection" and initially when connecting to upload files, but immediately, I got this message - "Dreamweaver cannot determine the remote server time. The 'select newer and synchronize commands' will not be available." I clicked okay. Then I got the message "FTP error occurred - cannot get remote folder information and was disconnected." I changed the stanrockwell.com in the FTP to the new IP address and got the same series of messages.
2.I then used the File Upload on GoDaddy and uploaded the file "classes.html" to both the webroot and to the subdomain taiji. Both appear in the File Manager and there appears to be no problem. However when I tried to open the pages in several different web browsers and my phone I got the following: "The server stanrockwell.com is asking for your user name and password. The server reports that it is from stanrockwell.com. Warning your user name and password will be sent using basic authentication on a connection that isn't secure." There are boxes for user name and password and buttons for okay and cancel. If you click cancel, you get a forbidden access page. There is no log in for the site. This page is just a list of upcoming classes so anyone can access the information about times. Since I did update the classes page, I thought I might have inadvertently caused something wrong in the code. So I saved a page with "test" added to the file name and uploaded it via File Upload. The same thing happens when I try to open it in a browser.
I have had the site since 2009 and this has never happened before, and only began after the upgrade. I called tech support today. We weren't able to figure out how to fix it and I was transferred to someone else. They had a call back number. I was disconnected after a couple of minutes with the new person. Two hours later I haven't been called back. I called again and the message was a very heavy caller volume. I will try again but am hoping for some help here. Thanks.
Solved! Go to Solution.
I recommand using Filezilla as it works best with FTP.
The files are on the server, in the proper place. The main issue is, you can't bring them up in any browser without a log on now. Both issues began after the server upgrade.
Just got off the phone with tech support. Running an event on the server fixed the page display issue. The page now loads with no request for a logon. The issue with logging onto ftp turns out to be an issue with Verizon. David was very patient and helpful and answered all my questions and fixed what could be fixed.
One quick word about Filezilla - I did use it briefly a couple of years ago, but when I installed it, it had so much excess other stuff in it that put stuff all over my computer that I uninstalled it and got rid of as much of the excess stuff as possible using adaware and similar software. My old Dreamweaver MX ftp client works well.