Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • GoDaddy Website Builders
  • GoDaddy Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    TnTodd
    New

Finding and deleting backup files via ssh

For some reason my server disk is now full.

I am a rookie ssh user and I need help finding and deleting backup files via ssh.

I have also found an email account with a large number of emails but I can not download and remove them via outlook, and I have also tried and external site like mail2web.com without luck.

Any help finding and deleting these files would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
    JesseW
    Community Manager

Hi @TnTodd

Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! Welcome!

If you have SSH access, the common commands 'ls' and 'cd' should help. You can use 'ls' to list the files and directories and then use 'cd' to change to a different directory. Once you locate where your backups are (my guess would be in a /backups directory), you can use 'rm' to remove the files like this:

rm file.txt file1.txt 

The above would remove the specific files you entered. To remove a directory and all it's contents you would use:

rm -rf foldername/

If you want to remove all the files in the current directory and leave the directory, you would use: 

rm -rf *

Does anyone else have any SSH pointers they can give?

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.

Hello

I followed your instructions but I receive a Permission Denied message when I perform the steps. I'm logged in with the master account too. Any suggestions? 

Thank you, 

Jackie 

Now I am having the same problem
    Permission Denied

JesseW
    Community Manager

Hi @aliahmeeed and @martinezdesigns. I'm not sure, but you may need to use 'sudo' a the beginning of the commands so you have the proper access. If that doesn't help, you may want to touch base with our support team to see if there is an issue with your account. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.

Deleted successfully
    I thank you very much
    Greetings to you @JesseW