Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • GoDaddy Website Builders
  • GoDaddy Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    TimM
    Getting Started

GoDaddy Website Builder 'Visits' count ten time Google Analytics 'Sessions' count

In my GoDaddy Website Builder dashboard, my 'Visits' counter seems unnaturally high for my specialized website.
    Following the advice of a kind person on the GoDaddy forum I signed up for Google  Analytics.
     I did not use any filters, not even the bot filter.  I just used their default "All Website Data" audience view.
     My GoDaddy dashboard 'Visits' counter runs about ten times the Analytics 'Sessions' counter.
     For example, if overnight the Analytics Sessions counter increases by 10, the GoDaddy Visits counter increases by about 100.
     What accounts for this huge discrepancy?  Thanks for any thoughts!

Tim

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
    Muse
    Super User II

Hey, Tim:

It could be that Google Analytics is better at excluding good bots -- search engine crawlers are an example. Google makes this effort by default  (although you can create new "views" as we discussed in the other thread to exclude all bots including bad bots).

GoDaddy is most likely providing complete activity and not differentiating between good or bad bots and crawlers -- which can make a difference. 

HTH! 😉

Judith
    "Success is the sum of details." ~ Harvey S. Firestone

View solution in original post

Nate
    Super User II

While there isn't an 100% accurate way of tracking visitors, there are many ways of getting good approximations.  GoDaddy and Google measure these stats differently.  You'll tend to find more false positives with GoDaddy, and it's more likely to miss some legitimate users at Google.  Use this data like an overview of trends on your site and compare stats within the same platform.

6 REPLIES 6
    Muse
    Super User II

Hey, Tim:

It could be that Google Analytics is better at excluding good bots -- search engine crawlers are an example. Google makes this effort by default  (although you can create new "views" as we discussed in the other thread to exclude all bots including bad bots).

GoDaddy is most likely providing complete activity and not differentiating between good or bad bots and crawlers -- which can make a difference. 

HTH! 😉

Judith

TimM
    Getting Started

Thanks for the additional info.  I just called GoDaddy tech support to ask this question, and I got a fascinating answer.  They said that their visit counter responds to every possible access, including the voluminous pings from around the world looking for weaknesses.  The exact phrase they used to describe their visit count is "completely unreliable" and they said I should just pay attention to Google Analytics.  Yikes.  Thanks again for your help, especially for pointing me to Analytics, which I have found to be immensely useful and informative.

The one thing I still don't understand is why Google Analytics gives me exactly the same results whether I use the bot filter or not.  Evidently, Analytics is filtering out a huge amount of stuff that GoDaddy counts, even without the bot filter.  So I wonder what their bot filter does.  Oh well, the bottom line is that I am now all set with accurate and informative counts, so I'm happy, if still a bit confused.

Tim

Nate
    Super User II

Yes, the biggest difference is server-side vs. client-side.  With Google you get a snippet of code to place on each page of the website, where visitors browsers run the code and they collect the stats sent back.  So a bot can be programed to not even interact with Google.  On GoDaddy the stats are collected when the server is accessed.  But as you noticed there are many other differences in filters, reports, etc.

Though 'client-side' stats can miss some legitimate users it is fairly accurate and provides added details needed for marketing purposes.  You may still need 'server-side' stats to help track down a bug or other site maintenance at some point.

How do you place the Google analytics code on your website? Where does it go?

Muse
    Super User II

@Sheri

If you are on GoCentral, Top Left > Dashboard > Settings > Google Analytics and you enter your Tracking ID in the designated box.

HTH! 😉

Judith

Nate
    Super User II

While there isn't an 100% accurate way of tracking visitors, there are many ways of getting good approximations.  GoDaddy and Google measure these stats differently.  You'll tend to find more false positives with GoDaddy, and it's more likely to miss some legitimate users at Google.  Use this data like an overview of trends on your site and compare stats within the same platform.