Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • GoDaddy Website Builders
  • GoDaddy Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    AliEubank
    New

Inability to Customize Text Color

After working on my new website and getting the general layout/outline completed I began to tinker with the colors of the website... well... attempted to.  And to my utmost astonishment, it is impossible to get any semblance of customization with site colors.  Yes, you can change one theme color however that is the only custom color you can use, therefore making every other background be either black, white, or your custom color, no selection, no customization at all. And to top that seemingly not well thought out quality of the website builder, it is not possible for a user to change the color of any text on the site, something quite simple and menial yet has such a huge impact on the overall site appearance. 

After reading through many forum posts and the replies made by GoDaddy staff I had to make my own post, not because I wanted to but because of another mindless decision by the GoDaddy team to not allow comments on a post that has a "certified answer" even though that said answer is not an answer but instead a promise for one in the future. Even if the answer was right and the thread was resolved comments/replies should still be made for there is always room to debate something. 

The responses made by the Staff are short-sighted and quite dense. Their reasoning for not including the ability to customize the site's colors is due to the goal of making site building an easy and painless experience, therefore removing as much modularity as possible, rendering the site dull and boring yet without flaws. Take for example the inability to change text color.  The official reason for this is because the GoDaddy team wants to ensure that the text is visible on the site and that some Google algorithms put sites above others based on the visibility/readability of text.  At face value this seems fine, however, at the end of the day, the customer comes first.  If I want to make my text a deep blue instead of black against a white background I very well should be able to and there is no compromise on "visibility".  Even if a compromise on visibility is made, why is that GoDaddy's concern? Is GoDaddy profiting off of how good my site looks? I'm quite certain that I pay them for the site and not to be the dictators of what is on said site and how good the site is. 

Some replies also mentioned the belief that if modularity is introduced, mistakes in uniformity will arise and cause the one making the site pain and more work.  I do agree with this statement however, some people welcome that challenge, or even don't want a site that is completely uniform, therefore there should be a setting within the site settings to allow for a free-willed, more modular, site building mode.  The default site builder will be what it is currently, and the increased modularity mode will allow those who want to go the extra mile with their site to do so.

Currently, there is a lot of unrest and anger about the binding limitations the current site builder places on those using it, henceforth it is in GoDaddy's best interests to fix a problem that is quite simple, like I mean extremely simple, to solve. 

PS. In some replies certified users who were also "PRO" stated that if you don't like the limiting site builder GoDaddy has to offer then instead of complaining about it why not just go use a different site. This is a shallow line of thought devoid of any real sense of an urge to improve, an urge to be the best. Apple wouldn't be the tech tycoon it is today if at the beginning they said, "just go to Microsoft if you don't like our products".  Instead, they buckled down and did what needed to be done to overcome Microsoft in the ways its, Apple's, audience demanded of the company.  I believe GoDaddy might want to take some notes. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Muse
    Super User I

@AliEubank 

I understand your frustration and I do understand the point you are making.  😉

What one would think to be a simple thing can be very difficult to implement.  In this case allowing customization to CSS elements across all themes.  This is not "extremely simple" to accomplish when you are working with a web builder platform.

With that said, I know that GoDaddy is *constantly* looking at how they can improve the W+M platform.  They literally have teams dedicated to new feature investigation and implementation.   I know because I've helped beta test new changes and additions and provided input. 

Unfortunately, features, functionality and time-frames may not meet everyone's requirements.   In my experience when a product does not meet my needs, I find one that does.  And, as one of the "PRO"s you refer to, this is not a shallow line of thought -- it is simply being realistic.   

For me, being around for 25 years and watching the evolution of products like W+M, I can't believe how sophisticated and feature rich these products have become.  All so that users can have contemporary looking websites without having to know a lick of code.

Maybe someone from GoDaddy will pipe in if more color control is in the pipeline or being considered.  However, rather than waiting, if you want that level of customization, there is a solution that inherently offers what you want to do --WordPress.. 😉

Judith
    "Good things happen to those who hustle." ~ Anaïs Nin

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
    Muse
    Super User I

@AliEubank 

I understand your frustration and I do understand the point you are making.  😉

What one would think to be a simple thing can be very difficult to implement.  In this case allowing customization to CSS elements across all themes.  This is not "extremely simple" to accomplish when you are working with a web builder platform.

With that said, I know that GoDaddy is *constantly* looking at how they can improve the W+M platform.  They literally have teams dedicated to new feature investigation and implementation.   I know because I've helped beta test new changes and additions and provided input. 

Unfortunately, features, functionality and time-frames may not meet everyone's requirements.   In my experience when a product does not meet my needs, I find one that does.  And, as one of the "PRO"s you refer to, this is not a shallow line of thought -- it is simply being realistic.   

For me, being around for 25 years and watching the evolution of products like W+M, I can't believe how sophisticated and feature rich these products have become.  All so that users can have contemporary looking websites without having to know a lick of code.

Maybe someone from GoDaddy will pipe in if more color control is in the pipeline or being considered.  However, rather than waiting, if you want that level of customization, there is a solution that inherently offers what you want to do --WordPress.. 😉

Judith
    "Good things happen to those who hustle." ~ Anaïs Nin

View solution in original post