Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • GoDaddy Website Builders
  • GoDaddy Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Hopeful
    Helper V

Open in New Tab checkbox removed from link settings!

What's up? All of a sudden, all the Open in New Tab settings I had set up throughout my site and hundreds of products now do not open in a new tab! Holy cow! I do not want my product page to close when they go to look at my policy pages, contact page, or other pages or coordinating items. What the hell GoDaddy?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    JesseW
    Community Manager

@Hopeful I understand. This is a difficult situation. While I don't doubt your ability to recall what you had in the editor before, I also don't doubt the ability of the product developers to identify if a change occurred. The only evidence I've been able to find objectively is that someone else wanted this feature last August (suggesting that it wasn't already there) and that no changes to the product have been pushed out that for that feature specifically. The best that I can do at the moment is put the request in front of our product team to have the link option include a new tab button in a future update, which I have done. I'm sorry that I can't do more.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
    PL281
    Super User IV

@Hopeful 

What is your site URL?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hopeful
    Helper V

This happened when I was trying to add a new link from an existing product to one of the main pages on my site. The option to have a new tab open is completely gone (the checkbox). Upon further inspection, it looks as if it is still functioning on the ones I've already set up in my Blog and one SOME sections of my home page, but not on other sections. And it does NOT appear to open a new tab anymore on any the links I have up in my Shop page nor in the products themselves. This is very problematic, especially considering we already don't have breadcrumbs in this product...

I forgot to mention, I'm using the Urban template if that matters.

@Hopeful 

I'm seeing the same thing - here is what I did and where I'm guessing you are seeing something similar

1) Create a new page 

2) Add a Content Section

3) Highlight some text and select link and you used too / expected to see open in new tab

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 12.49.10 PM.png

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@PL281Perhaps. But I was referring to the steps you go through when adding a link on a product itself. After you input your product description, you highlight the words you want in the link. Then you go to a link icon above the description field and click on it. When you click on that to create the link, a small box pops up asking for the url. Under that there used to be a checkbox that said "Open in New Tab". You had the option of selecting it or not. I always selected it. That option is now gone.

JesseW
    Community Manager

Hey @Hopeful. Just wanted to let you know I relayed this information to our product team. They're looking to see if anything changed unexpectedly. I'll let you know once I have more information. For what it's worth, I agree that this should be available since we have it in other places within the W+M editor. Thanks for your patience in advance. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.

@JesseW  Wonderful. Thank you.

JesseW
    Community Manager

Hey @Hopeful. Just wanted to give you an update. I researched this thoroughly with our Online Store product team. They weren't able to find where this was changed in our coding and they did not find evidence that it was there previously. We did have this option in the previous Online Store version that was a stand alone product, but it doesn't look like it has yet been a feature for this version (in the W+M builder). There is another thread I found on this topic from August 2019 where the author was asking for this ability. I will be passing on both posts as a feature request. Sorry for any confusion. 

@JesseWI can assure it was there. I have not used any other product to create my store except QSC and I never got around to adding many links in that from product pages. Don't recall what that had. I have been using GoCentral (now Website + Marketing) from its inception and checking the little box to open a new page. I suspect it changed when they redid some things recently, including a new set of icons above the description field. The link icon looks entirely different now, as do the other icons...

JesseW
    Community Manager

@Hopeful When you say there was a different set of icons, did it look like this? If not, can you provide a screenshot of the icons you're referring to? 

JesseW_0-1589988753587.png

Obviously, I can't provide was USED to be there. I can only describe it as the icon had a chunky link icon that looked more like a chain link. It was thicker than the one now, which has thin rounded lines on each end and a dash-like line in the middle. This all changed fairly recently.

Here is what it looks like now:

GoDaddyLink.jpg

JesseW
    Community Manager

@Hopeful I understand. This is a difficult situation. While I don't doubt your ability to recall what you had in the editor before, I also don't doubt the ability of the product developers to identify if a change occurred. The only evidence I've been able to find objectively is that someone else wanted this feature last August (suggesting that it wasn't already there) and that no changes to the product have been pushed out that for that feature specifically. The best that I can do at the moment is put the request in front of our product team to have the link option include a new tab button in a future update, which I have done. I'm sorry that I can't do more.

View solution in original post

@JesseW  I appreciate your effort in looking into this. It is much appreciated. I know you've done all you can. Thank you for putting in a request for this feature.

@JesseWI am curious, though, why are your description field icons so different from mine? And you have many more. Are you in Websites + Marketing store?

JesseW
    Community Manager

You're welcome @Hopeful. Sorry for not clarifying. That screenshot is from the older stand alone Online Store product we used to have. I thought maybe it had the same buttons you were seeing before. Really it was just a shot in the dark. 

@JesseW  I see. Thanks for the explanation.