• GoDaddy Community
  • GoDaddy Website Builders
  • GoDaddy Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Pictures used in website builder look low quality?

I know that this topic has been brought up many times before but even though those queries have been marked as solved, none of them have helped in my case. Some pictures on my site aren't particularly high quality as they're just screenshots, but I have some 4K 3D model renders I would like use but their quality is not really close to the original image at all. I've already been in contact with support for the website and marketing and after been told multiple times that the picture quality is based on the uploaded image, was then told I'd have to go through the expert website design service because image quality is beyond the capabilities of the website and marketing department. 

I want to use a 3840x2160px image that is rendered in Fusion 360. I've tried reexporting it to make sure it was 72dpi. I've tried exporting in PNG, I've tried downscaling to 1920x1080 to see if it would have less compression, I've tried exporting to WebP. Nothing has made a difference in how the picture looks.

I'm not sure how to share this but I have attached a link below with the original picture and the picture on the website. On mobile screens, the picture looks okay because the screens are small but I'm not satisfied with how it looks on desktop screens.

https://imgur.com/a/Bw9M1jc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Nate
    Super User I

The platform automatically optimizes images, unfortunately it's streamlined for the most common needs and you wouldn't be able to adjust it.  It is true you would have more flexibility with WordPress, but I'll point out you don't need to use the design team to go this route as there are many pre-built themes available or you could create your own theme.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
    Nate
    Super User I

The platform automatically optimizes images, unfortunately it's streamlined for the most common needs and you wouldn't be able to adjust it.  It is true you would have more flexibility with WordPress, but I'll point out you don't need to use the design team to go this route as there are many pre-built themes available or you could create your own theme.

View solution in original post

So in theory, if I used a WordPress plan instead, the pictures should look better? If so, am I able to change plans without losing the money I spent on this plan?

It's a tradeoff between ease of use and flexibility.  The website builder is basically one size fits some where everything is done for you and you just need to add the content, WordPress is customizable which means more work of doing the customizing.  You can watch some introduction to WordPress tutorials on YouTube to get a feel for how it works.  Not to scare you there's just a little learning curve to getting started, but it also lets you get just about as advanced as you want.  That being said there are two routes to WordPress at GoDaddy that it's kinda hard to explain the difference, WordPress Hosting has some extra tools built in but carries some limitations or you can have WordPress installed in a cPanel Hosting plan and set it up how you see fit.  If you do decide to switch call support to move over your credit.

I've done a small bit of googling about these options and have some questions. I do like the look of the cPanel option as it looks less to do with GoDaddy. Would GoDaddy host this cPanel and then I would have more control over everything? If I went with a cPanel would that just use standard WordPress? and if I went with the GoDaddy WordPress hosting it would be a GoDaddy made interface? Also, where do you find the cPanel plans on the site? It's not entirely clear to me, would you just choose website hosting? Are there any extra fees associated with using cPanel or does GoDaddy cover everything when using one of those plans?

Sorry if some of these answers were easy to find.

Yes, cPanel is the default option for most Linux based plans as long as you don't select the Windows option (Web Hosting, Business Hosting, etc.).  This is the control panel for the hosting plan, the WordPress hosting plans have a unique control panel that is more streamlined.  From within cPanel you can use Installatron to install the regular version of WordPress, a slightly modified version comes preinstalled with WordPress Hosting.  For either you could log directly into your website to add pages and manage content, but with cPanel you get more control on the back end.

I found my way to the VPS hosting section and looked around there and am leaning towards taking this route but may not go through GoDaddy for this. I could make a functioning website myself, but it wouldn't necessarily look very good, that was my main reason for looking to website building services. However, for my use, the price for the Linux based plan with cPanel is a bit too expensive (basically a portfolio). But from the information you've given, WordPress seems like the way to go. I've now cancelled my plan and got a refund and will spend some time deciding which route to go. Your input has been very helpful, more helpful than the support was originally. Thank you very much.

VPS and Dedicated Servers are even more advanced options for resource intense websites, but like I said cPanel is the default option for Web Hosting (entry level) and Business Hosting (more power) plans as well.  It all depends on your needs and preferences.