Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • GoDaddy Website Builders
  • GoDaddy Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    newbie33
    New

Shipping methods comparison/capabilities

Hey there!  I'm helping my mom set up a website for her year-round Christmas store, which has been in business 37 years but has never had a website/online store before.

1) We are having a hard time figuring out which of the available shipping methods are best for us given the variety of items she'd be shipping out... is it possible to charge by weight (or flat rate) for some items and not others?  E.g. she sells a lot of ornaments, and shipping 1 or 5 ornaments is about the same cost, so charging by order weight makes sense, but for more bulky items we'd probably want set individual shipping rates (not necessarily by weight since some are light but big and therefore expensive to ship).  Will the shipping method selected for an individual product override whatever is selected as the default method in general?  If they select multiple products that have individual rates assigned, is there any way to figure out a more reasonable rate "per order" rather than per item?

2) Just wanted to hear from other small businesses as far as how you are charging for shipping on your sites and if anyone has experience with vendors like Shippo for getting good rates on the back end... the UPS rates my mom is giving me as examples just seem crazy high... $14 to ship an ornament to the other coast... give us all your tips and tricks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Muse
    Super User I

@newbie33 

How nice of you to help your Mom! 😉

So with W+M you have free, flat rate and weight based shipping options that you can set as the defaults.  It's pretty basic. Then, on the per product level you can designate specific size and weights and also select:

Calculate for me using my shipping methods
    This item always ships free
    Specify a shipping fee for this item

So, yes, you can set individual shipping rates per item on the Shipping tab on each product's page: "Specify a shipping fee for this item".  Then, that is what will be used for that item.

When you "specify a shipping fee for this item" for the items that you know are bigger, heavier and more difficult to package, explain why in detail on those product's pages.

Unfortunately, configuring shipping formulas (multiple products that can add up and you want a more reasonable rate) is beyond the capabilities of W+M.  More complex shipping setups would required using something like WordPress where you have more flexibility and can create formulas based on products and other factors.

Maybe check into USPS to help lower shipping costs?  UPS and FEDEX just raised their rates quite a bit and are the most expensive.

Shipping shouldn't be a profit point but you don't want to lose money either, right?  So, having a page that explains your shipping costs and policy in detail is a huge step to educating folks on how all this works and the actual costs involved.  

I've not used Shippo, I've used Stamps.com for years without complaint and do get discounts on postage.   HTH! 😉

Judith
    "Good things happen to those who hustle." ~ Anaïs Nin

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
    Muse
    Super User I

@newbie33 

How nice of you to help your Mom! 😉

So with W+M you have free, flat rate and weight based shipping options that you can set as the defaults.  It's pretty basic. Then, on the per product level you can designate specific size and weights and also select:

Calculate for me using my shipping methods
    This item always ships free
    Specify a shipping fee for this item

So, yes, you can set individual shipping rates per item on the Shipping tab on each product's page: "Specify a shipping fee for this item".  Then, that is what will be used for that item.

When you "specify a shipping fee for this item" for the items that you know are bigger, heavier and more difficult to package, explain why in detail on those product's pages.

Unfortunately, configuring shipping formulas (multiple products that can add up and you want a more reasonable rate) is beyond the capabilities of W+M.  More complex shipping setups would required using something like WordPress where you have more flexibility and can create formulas based on products and other factors.

Maybe check into USPS to help lower shipping costs?  UPS and FEDEX just raised their rates quite a bit and are the most expensive.

Shipping shouldn't be a profit point but you don't want to lose money either, right?  So, having a page that explains your shipping costs and policy in detail is a huge step to educating folks on how all this works and the actual costs involved.  

I've not used Shippo, I've used Stamps.com for years without complaint and do get discounts on postage.   HTH! 😉

Judith
    "Good things happen to those who hustle." ~ Anaïs Nin

View solution in original post