Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    ScottSheppard
    Getting Started

Why do I get these broken links?

I am a newbie. I have created my first site:

http://wwoakcest.com

I use a tool to check for broken links. Though all of my site navigation links are fine, the tool identifies some broken links. I assume // protocol references are for some local server references. Is there some setting that I need to set to avoid these broken links?

broken-links2.jpgbroken-links3.jpg

My concern is that site loading is slowed down by the server trying to resolve these links.

Scott Sheppard
    2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
    PL281
    Super User II

@ScottSheppard 

The // means to load over HTTP or HTTPS  - it allows the browser to decide how to load the site

When I visit the site with the live domain vs the the GoDaddy temp domain it loads fine.

As a foot note:

I manage the websites for a number of HOAs in Florida - these are independent of anything the management company provides as those sites are more "admin" based vs "social & marketing" based.  That said, I do see your disclaimer on the "about" page that your site is not the association site - I also see it seems that you haven't had turn over yet. I just advise you to be careful with all this and once turnover does occur make sure the board is aware of what's going on. 

I've seen residents set up sites before that are separate from the association and the issue that you run into is that then people don't know which site to go to and also as you are not doing this on behalf of the association you can put advertising and put other information which the association may not agree with and people may not clearly see / know the difference.

I also recommend if you are going to build a full site for the association to use WordPress as you will have more functionality / flexibility with it to grow as the communities needs grow.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

I think I have figured it out. The Inspyder Insite tool predates the use of // to mean use http or https, so it reports an error. Thanks to SUPER USER 2020 for the tip.

Scott Sheppard

5 REPLIES 5
    PL281
    Super User II

@ScottSheppard 

The // means to load over HTTP or HTTPS  - it allows the browser to decide how to load the site

When I visit the site with the live domain vs the the GoDaddy temp domain it loads fine.

As a foot note:

I manage the websites for a number of HOAs in Florida - these are independent of anything the management company provides as those sites are more "admin" based vs "social & marketing" based.  That said, I do see your disclaimer on the "about" page that your site is not the association site - I also see it seems that you haven't had turn over yet. I just advise you to be careful with all this and once turnover does occur make sure the board is aware of what's going on. 

I've seen residents set up sites before that are separate from the association and the issue that you run into is that then people don't know which site to go to and also as you are not doing this on behalf of the association you can put advertising and put other information which the association may not agree with and people may not clearly see / know the difference.

I also recommend if you are going to build a full site for the association to use WordPress as you will have more functionality / flexibility with it to grow as the communities needs grow.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Thank you for the advice. I am a homeowner in the homeowner association. I created the site in consultation with the board who find, as well as most homeowners, the portal provided by the association management company hard to find anything. The management company approved my site as long as I added that disclaimer on the about page. My site is intended to be the place to start and will not duplicate information on the management site. It merely answers frequently asked questions and points homeowners to the management site for additional information.

Scott Sheppard

With regard to the broken links, my site appears just fine. The user experience is simple in that there are only a few pages with site navigation at the bottom. The home page is the main attraction. What I find curious is why the web builder generates URLs that a link checker tool would regard as broken. maybe it's a timeout issue?

Scott Sheppard

@ScottSheppard 

Yes it could be a timeout or just how the website builder system loads things. 

The other thing to keep in mind what you can do on the site vs what the portal has are things like meeting minutes and more "social" things. - Let me know if you have any other questions on HOA websites

I think I have figured it out. The Inspyder Insite tool predates the use of // to mean use http or https, so it reports an error. Thanks to SUPER USER 2020 for the tip.

Scott Sheppard