• How to Market Your Business

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    New

Creating a Link of about 10 websites.

I am going to create a FAQ/Links page to my website.  I wanted to see if there was other people who wanted to share links.  I thought if we had 10 website owners that wanted to do this it might help our traffic some.  I have only been a webmaster/webdesigner for about a month.  Feel free to checkout my site and see if you would like to try this.  I think i read somewhere that the more links you have online that lead to your site, when the webcrawlers find them it increases your search engine rank. So I was thinking once we had 10 people or so, we could create a list of websites.  Give it a couple days for everyone to finish there page with everyones link.  Once everyone is up and running we all goto the other 9 respective pages and like/share these sites on our facebook page we manage for our websites.  So as people say they want in I will check back and post a running list. We hit 10 its go time.  Then we just post Links page completed and Facebook liking/sharing completed.  So tell me what you guys think and tell me if anyone wants in.  My FAQ/Links page is in the works and be sure to checkout my site for consideration.  Personally I have had 1600 visitors on my site and I will hit 1 month in about a week.  Good luck to everyone.

www.MyRN.online
    1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have been creating websites since 2006. I must say that linking to other websites is really a good idea.

There are a few things one must do first before you start requesting a link exchange.

1. Make sure your website meets Google's webmaster guide line. https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35769

2. Test you site to see if you need to do any work first. I recommend Varvy SEO tools

3. Be aware of people that add your website to theirs and place a no follow script with it. Almost every blog or website will add no follow telling search engines and robots not to follow this link. This will not help your rankings at all.

4. One of the most important things that people forget is to only link to sites that are on the same subject. Check the quality of the website before you link to it. If you do link to one check it on a regular bases to make sure that they have not changed the site content.

Why do I say that? Because it has happened to me. Not everybody is honest. Last thing I want to say is that Google ranks on speed , mobility , and content.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
    Advocate VI

I'd advise against this: it falls under the category of "black hat webspam." There was a time when people traded links in an effort to boost SEO. When people try to game the system, those smart folks at Google change the rules so that the old behaviors don't help you anymore -- as they should.

If you want to have RELEVANT links on your site that go to other sites, because they will make sense for your audience, go for it. But trading randomly with strangers whose sites are not relevant to yours is a waste of time.

See this article on the Google Webmaster blog: https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2012/04/another-step-to-reward-high-quality.html 

More about link schemes, and what is/is not allowed: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66356?hl=en

Just trying to reply

www.MyRN.online

I have two trains of thought on this. SEO helps but it kinda stinks.  Whenever you search for something you never really get what your looking for anyway.  Searching for ask a nurse which is one of my key phrases doesnt pull up my website or its ranked at a position of 1.9million our of 19 million.  You can search for a number to call a nurse for hours before actually finding a number.  For example, search for a dumpsite to carry off large garbage near your zipcode.  Good luck with that. Thats why you see mattresses dumped of in the woods going down a country road. So lets forget about increasing rankings in search engines for a moment.

So people just surfing the web can't really surf from topic to topic because there are no links.  Who's to say that the diabetic that lands on my site doesn't have a husband who loves pastries.  Or the husband that loves pastries has a question needing to be answered and clicks over to help a loved one.  So Google condemns linking and supports "white hat policies" making people use their search engine more and shoves ads in our faces.  Ok thats enough complaing.  Thank you for letting me vent.  🙂  My bad I tried to change the topic and just cept going hehe.

So how about this.  Since social media plays a major role in free advertising,  would it be a good idea to have a group of people like and share their websites on facebook?  I have 800 friends.  Ten other people with websites.have 800 friends.  Isn't that 160,000 people seeing your website.  My math could be wrong there. 

Please don't get me wrong here, I'm looking for solutions and or ideas.  They are not always the best ideas and I very much appreciate constructive criticism. Thank you very much for not letting me make a mistake with links.

So the links idea is out as it would hurt peoples rankings as opposed to helping.  So how about the same concept just using social media then?

www.MyRN.online

To say the link idea HURTS you is probably not the same as saying it simply does not HELP you. So it's wasted effort.

Social Media is also not the silver bullet answer for what you're trying to do. Social Media certainly has its uses and can be helpful in getting the word out. But the reality is that just because you post something, not all 800 of your friends will see it. A very few of your friends see it, and if they engage (like, share, comment), then a few more see it. And it keeps going. But if no one engages, it sort of dead-ends and not many will see it.

This is why pics of things like weddings, graduations, awards, grandchildren, vacations get a lot of likes. The first few of your friends who see happy, celebratory stuff will like it right away, because they are your friend and are happy for you. So then it's shown to a few more. And if they like it, a few more. 

If you post a link to my website (or 10 other people's websites), your friends won't care, and won't comment, like, or share. So it really won't do much for you (or me, or whoever owns the website you're posting). 

Personally, I am very careful to only post things that I really do expect my friends to care about and engage with. So usually they get good traction. But that means I don't post often, and I really think about what is engaging or entertaining -- not what serves my business and drives people to my website. 

In general, I would not rely only on SEO as a means to bring in business. You have to think carefully about your target audience, where to find them, and how to get them interested in what you have to offer. That means more focused marketing efforts, advertising, networking, possibly doing things like speaking to groups, publishing articles...  but relying on SEO alone won't do it. 

Thank you for replying.

www.MyRN.online

I have been creating websites since 2006. I must say that linking to other websites is really a good idea.

There are a few things one must do first before you start requesting a link exchange.

1. Make sure your website meets Google's webmaster guide line. https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35769

2. Test you site to see if you need to do any work first. I recommend Varvy SEO tools

3. Be aware of people that add your website to theirs and place a no follow script with it. Almost every blog or website will add no follow telling search engines and robots not to follow this link. This will not help your rankings at all.

4. One of the most important things that people forget is to only link to sites that are on the same subject. Check the quality of the website before you link to it. If you do link to one check it on a regular bases to make sure that they have not changed the site content.

Why do I say that? Because it has happened to me. Not everybody is honest. Last thing I want to say is that Google ranks on speed , mobility , and content.

View solution in original post