• How to Market Your Business

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

GoDaddy Locu for Getting Found Online

I'm just getting into GoDaddy Locu for a couple of clients as a trial. I haven't started charging for it yet but I am curious as to what it can do for traffic so I thought I would give it a go. Just wondering is anyone else has any experience with it and can offer some insight?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

11 REPLIES 11
    Advocate VII

I'm starting with it now for my business and two others.  I used a service called Yext.com and it cost around $1000/year.  We got a deal on our 1st year.  It has more listings than GoDaddy's service; however, many of the smaller local services just don't provide traffic/customers.

I'll keep you up to date as I gather more information, but I have a good 1st impression.  The key is to make sure the customer has a good, complete profile.  Most of the listed services do give preferences to complete profiles and good descriptions.  Also, I've found that pictures of people in company profiles seem to get a better response than a picture of a building!

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Just a quick update on this.  I found the process of getting this setup very straightforward.  It requires  you to scrutinize how you want to present your business and gives you feedback immediately on what it takes to get a good listing on the local business search apps. 

I recommend getting your business information handy, have a couple of photos, and if selling products a price list of some of your most featured items.  The price list feature is really good for presenting a good representation of the products in your store. 

At the end a mini-site/landing page is constructed.  I'm very pleased with it and it truly reflects your business image.

Later,

James

I'm only on the setup and listing phase myself, I have about a week of using Locu. It was easy to understand and setup but in terms of results I'm waiting to report on that. I kind of went into Locu blindly because it looked like a very worthwhile project despite me not having heard much about it. I remember Locu as a startup and it seemed a bit of a gimmick or something? I also remember GoDaddy purchasing them and I am just now starting to get into the benefit to my customers.

I chose to use it for a café client and a hair salon client but it was so simple to configure I'm not sure that they needed me. @JMPepper is right, keep the business information close to you (especially if you are setting it up for someone). The process kind of prompts you what to do based on your business to, update store hours, upload a menu, location information... I am also going to go ahead and do a Google Street View 360 for these clients (something I have been putting off).

I'm happy to keep the Community updated. The funniest part of all this is I haven't told my clients yet. We'll see if they start noticing an increase.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Super User II

So I have been using GoDaddy Locu for about two months now for a total of three clients. I tried to pick clients at different stages of their online presence so that I could get a real feel for it.

I have a hairdresser client that has had a website for going on five years. Because her business and her domain were fairly established using Locu made it REALLY easy to wrangle and consolidate her online presence. When I first put her information in I think it suggested that correcting all of the issues would have taken 100+ hours? With the Locu service I was able to correct her information in literal minutes. I should also point out that I wouldn't know the procedure for correcting all of the information and I don't think my time is best spent doing so. For this client the largest change showed in the YP, yelp and citysearch. Oh I'm also supposed to remember to say that she is a hair salon not a hairdresser?

For a café client who has had a domain name for two years just to hold it and just recently became a client their information was a lot easier to "correct". They literally had not registered for any of the companies that Locu works with. For them it was the convenience of entering all of their information in one place rather than having to submit to each individual website. I don't remember what the time estimate on that one was but who wants to go to eight places to update information? Again, not the best use of my time. They went from no or little online footprint to having their information more places than you can shake a stick at. For them the largest impact was felt on the social side of things with people on foursquare, Facebook and other "check in" places. Locu does not update Facebook but I did create them a Facebook page for their business as well. They like that they now show up on based on proximity and have found more customers than they knew were around. I have heard several times people come in saying "I didn't know you guys were here."

Another client I am using Locu on is a resistent insurance broker. He has his domain since 2011 but just maintained it for email and had not actual website (I don't call a quick Google page with an address and a number a website). Since he was resistant I secured a new domain for him (one that he didn't think was available) and went to work on a website. I immediately started with Locu because like the café he had no real web presence. The difference here is I was starting with a brand new domain and not an established one. It is a bit rare that I find a new domain but when I do I notice that they are ranked low and always labelled as untrusted because of their registration time. To overcome this I register the domain for an extended period of time, get an SSL certificate for it and now put the information on Locu. Those things seemed to really benefit the domain on things like Norton Safe Search, I also claimed the domain on Google Analytics, Norton Safe Web and other places. Now he has a new website that is above the results of his "established" domain address.

This last thing I can't be sure is an actual benefit because I am not a SEO guru but it seems to be this way to me. I don't claim to know the secret sauce of search engines but I suspect they are always looking for relevant information? I can't imagine the chaos that goes on when inconsistent results for any given business pops up but it probably isn't good? I like most that GoDaddy Locu squashes the work it takes for me to enter and correct information and I think the search engines do as well? I have not done SEO for these clients but Locu itself (and the correct information) seem to provide for better search results. In a world where the larger search engines scour the web for results I can't imagine consistency is a bad thing.

From my experience these generic cheap services, are just that generic and cheap. If your goal is to get ranked on Google for actually profitable terms, you need to know what you're doing.

SEO requires content just like anything else, Google rewards content because they are looking to reward their visitors, not the site owners.

So if you give Google what they want, you'll get what you want.

Unfortunately these lower cost services do not have the fire power to actually get found for what you want to get found for.

But if someone has had real success from it, in terms of getting found consistently, I'd love to stand corrected.

In working with GoDaddy Locu it has been my experience that it is less SEO and more about consistent online presence. I like to know and understand new offerings like this. Sometimes it turns out that it is not a service I would offer to my clients but instead recommend for their use and occasionally not suggest at all. GoDaddy Locu is a product I see as great for websites that are just getting themselves into a social place.

It doesn't seem like Locu is a product that seeks to promote you in SEO (though that is a small portion of the result) but instead it really is great for local searches as evidenced by the GoDaddy Locu partner sites. The Locu service is more for businesses that are looking to reach out to customers close to their physical locations than businesses looking to get found in a search engine result. As noted in my example I just used these for an insurance company (only licensed to service one State), a beauty salon (with no products online) and a café which also only has a informational website. In all three of these instances I found it to be useful.

One important thing to not is Locu has no settings (as far as I am aware) for keywording? Would I replace it for my SEO service? No, but as I said I don't know if that is the goal of Locu is SEO. Have you tried GoDaddy Locu @EnExTConsultant?

Everthing that @rd said is spot on. I use Locu for one of my businesses and for a client business.  The key question for me to answer is, "does this form of advertising have real return value for what I spend on it?  For most any business where your measurable behavior is "a customer walking into my brick-and-mortar establishment", then Locu is a great value.  We get good steady customers in the door from being found on the major apps connected to Locu. It does center on getting your business into Apps/Directories that used on smartphones. 

The listing(s) found in App database(s) is not the same as a "web-search" so Locu is not traditional SEO.  To get good listings on all platforms in Google/Google +, Bing, Yahoo, etc, a completely different set of page and listing structures are required for good listings.

Just the time it saves in submitting to the different directories is well worth it.  Take advantage of coupons on sites that offer them with your listing. People love walking into your store with a coupon on their phone!

Hope this helps!

James

VideoWebSystems

Web Property for Sexual Health and Wellness

Why doesn't go Daddy help us compete in rankings with this simple feature?  

I know you can right click a photo...get the "element" info / html code...then paste that onto a the "HTML" button godaddy gives you...then locate the "ALT" part of the code..then type in your keyword to describe the image...with that said...  the "alt" part in the code for the photo is not popping up... Any suggestions?  

Seems like GoDaddy would make this simple feature happen..super simple....I don't know what the heck I'm talking about and I'm still close to bypassing their effort on this VERY IMPORTANT SEO ISSUE.

My email address is:  owner@huntingkentuckydeer.com  

Thanks..   Kentucky Deery Hunts

@Jgwilliam wrote:

Why doesn't go Daddy help us compete in rankings with this simple feature?  

I know you can right click a photo...get the "element" info / html code...then paste that onto a the "HTML" button godaddy gives you...then locate the "ALT" part of the code..then type in your keyword to describe the image...with that said...  the "alt" part in the code for the photo is not popping up... Any suggestions?  

Seems like GoDaddy would make this simple feature happen..super simple....I don't know what the heck I'm talking about and I'm still close to bypassing their effort on this VERY IMPORTANT SEO ISSUE.

This does not seem like a discussion about GoDaddy Locu and this post @Jgwilliam? Your issue though it may be valid is misplaced. Perhaps you would like to create a new post and drive your discussion in that manner? Speaking for myself I would be happy to provide some input if I can.

Super User II

I'm trying to remember to come back and update this and here is the update from this month.

My clients don't know that they love GoDaddy Locu but trust me they do! Since it was something I was just testing I paid for the service to use on their behalf and they reap the benefits. In my experience there is a great benefit because of the quick and easy listing service for Google, Bing, YP, Foursquare, Yelp and some others that didn't necessarily apply to my customers but would be useful to the right business category. One of the largest benefits I have found is the ability to keep information current on so many different platforms. I haven't done A/B testing but it seems to me that relevant information being synced is a boost to search engines? It could be the number of new customers causing the boost? One thing I know in any case is the boost is because of Locu. Up to date and accurate information can't hurt right?

Locu also has a service area listing service as well so I imagine it would be great for a food truck or other mobile business? Looking at the Locu website they also show that a Online-Only listing option is coming soon. In the future I will feel comfortable recommending Locu to my clients.