• How to Market Your Business
  • How to Market Your Business

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

We have arrived! I think? Designing and selling website templates.

Back when I first started my business I had the super bright idea of designing templates and selling them on template websites. I had several of my initial offerings do well and that was a bit of a bad thing? That is to say it did create some issues for me as a single operator. Selling one template to hundreds of customers meant that I also had hundreds of customers to support and I became the bottleneck.

I thought my business would suit me better if I could select my client rather than being so indiscrimminent. I pulled my templates from websites, went to a more customer focused approach and specifically designed websites or templates per client. Customer focus has worked wonderfully for us and has been profitable. Now we have gone from attempting to do a hundred website designs and templates per year to less than twenty concentrating more on maintenance plans as revenue.

More than ten years after starting my business I figured we (my team and I) had some free time so the choice was made last year to dip back into the template game. Though I didn't have much to do with it four WordPress templates were produced and posted for sale. Sales and revenue have been GREAT, on one template we have surpassed 50k in downloads/purchases. Yay US!

How do I know we have arrived? Well we are getting great responses from our templates. Sales are going well, our revenue is up and we're moving to do more templates because of demand. PLUS... we are now being knocked off on a number of nulled template and plugin websites. Is it a bit odd to declare that you have arrived because you are being knocked off? Perhaps but isn't this the Oscar Wilde "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness." thing?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

1 REPLY 1
    Community Manager

Such a great post @rd! Thanks for sharing!

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.