• How to Market Your Business
  • How to Market Your Business

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Advocate IV

Why isn't this page converting to new subscribers? Would love input

I just launched a free ebook offer as an enticement to join my email list. I am promoting it on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, including some paid ads. I know the content is great. All the mechanics seem to be working.

But I am not seeing new subscribers, and I can't figure out why this page isn't converting. A similar ebook I did in 2014, with a similar landing page, did fine.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. Here's the landing page:

http://www.notketchup.com/burger-recipe-book/

Frustrated and eager to hear what you all think.

Erika

---
    Erika Kerekes, Founder & Condiment QueenNot Ketchup Gourmet Grilling Sauces
    17 REPLIES 17

Hi Erika -- At first glance, I think you many need to reformat your page to better draw attention to your call to action. They key to building a highly converting page is to get your point across and show your CTA (call-to-action) above the fold. 

When I look at your page, I don't see enough of a difference between your product description section and where you are asking your viewers to take a specific action. I also think that the image you're using is too big and requires your viewers to scroll down. 

To test variations on your page, I'd recommend using Optimizely. You might also want to check out Unbounce, which has pre-formatted landing pages.

Attached is an example of what I'm seeing. 

Benjamin Shapiro -- benjshap.com

Thanks @benjshap - my design skills are not great, and neither are my coding skills. I wish I did this kind of thing often enough to feel like I could justify the monthly cost of something like Unbounce. I should try their 30-day free trial, I guess. On my to-do list for the weekend. I appreciate the guidance!

---

Hi Erika -- At first glance, I think you many need to reformat your page to better draw attention to your call to action. They key to building a highly converting page is to get your point across and show your CTA (call-to-action) above the fold. 

When I look at your page, I don't see enough of a difference between your product description section and where you are asking your viewers to take a specific action. I also think that the image you're using is too big and requires your viewers to scroll down. 

To test variations on your page, I'd recommend using Optimizely. You might also want to check out Unbounce, which has pre-formatted landing pages.

Attached is an example of what I'm seeing. 

Benjamin Shapiro -- benjshap.com
    Helper II

Great Question! 

Business owners with the guts to ask for feedback are much more likely to succeed. Smiley Very Happy  And you helped me b/c it got me thinking about my own headlines and such. Here are some suggestions:

Determine your MWR

MWR = Most Wanted Response

• Is it to make a sale very soon b/c they got the free recipe book?
    • Or is it to build your list, establish credibility, induce a reciprocity response, and create long-term satisfied customers?

WIIFM
    WIIFM = What's in it for me?  

Put yourself in your site visitor's shoes. Why should they download the recipes? What's in it for them? 

Offer them pleasure (broadly defined) or a way to avoid pain (also broadly defined).

Headline Writing Resources
    http://my.copyblogger.com/basic/how-to-write-magnetic-headlines/

https://sumome.com/kickass-headline-generator/

https://contently.com/strategist/2015/07/16/5-tools-thatll-make-you-an-amazing-headline-writer/

http://coschedule.com/headline-analyzer

http://www.copyblogger.com/trigger-words/

Emotional Marketing Value Headline Analyzer - http://www.aminstitute.com/headline/

Ideas for Headlines
    These 10 Easy Recipes Will WOW Your Guests!
    Warning! Are You Ruining Your Health?

General Suggestions 

Distinguish your brand name from the rest of the text on your page. For the short-term, typing Not Ketchup in a different font or italicized will help set it apart from the rest of the text.

Consult with a branding expert about maybe adding an exclamation mark to your brand name, Not Ketchup!

Trademark your name if you haven't already started that process.

Mark D Worthen PsyD
    Clinical-Forensic Psychology

@mdwpsyd appreciate the thoughts. I will take another look at the headline and see if I can come up with something more compelling. 

In terms of my MWR, it's first to get people thinking about how they might use Not Ketchup in their own kitchens, which I know will drive sales. I have found that because my products are unusual, creative recipes get people inspired to try Not Ketchup for the first time. 

I don't want to add any punctuation to the product name, but maybe I'll start by bolding it so it stands out more from the rest of the text.

Thanks again for your help!

---

In terms of my MWR, it's first to get people thinking about how they might use Not Ketchup in their own kitchens...

You might want to offer an email series featuring a new recipe with each email... build the suspense. 

If not, don't list all the recipes in one line - break them up in some way. A continuous line like that is harder to read, and many people will leave as a result. See: How Users Read on the Web

Overall, I suggest considering 'building your list' as the most important goal. I'm speaking from experience: I keep forgetting that, perhaps along with building followers to your Facebook Page, building an email list of people interested in your product will generate more sales than any other marketing method. Highest ROI. This article explains why (I am not affiliated with the author):

https://amylynnandrews.com/how-to-build-an-email-list/

Sample from that article:

<BEGIN Quote>

Why not just send people to my site to see my stuff?

Well, because trying to get people to see your stuff on your site or on social media is no easy feat.

You publish a post, promote it and then you…wait.

You wait for readers to find you. You wait for them to click through your links. You wait for them to visit your site.

Email, on the other hand, is different.

When someone gives you their email address, they give you permission to go to them instead of having to wait for them to come to you.

<END Quote>

I would put this trust-builder above the photo:

Our promise: We will never sell or share your email address, and we will only email you when we have something truly earth-shaking to share. No junk, no spam.

Update your copyright notice to include the present year. It does make a difference - when I see an old copyright I assume the site--and the business--is not active or not well managed. And others have done research on this point.

I signed up for your recipes. Man Wink

Mark D Worthen PsyD

@mdwpsydthank you for subscribing!

I made a bunch of changes, including updating the copyright notice (thanks for spotting that). What do you think now?

---

I love it! Nicely done. 

One other suggestion:  Add social sharing icons/links so that visitors can share your posts/pages to Facebook, Twitter, etc. 

All the best,

Mark

Mark D Worthen PsyD
    Super User II

Beautiful photos, Erika!  They made my mouth water! 😉

All the left justified images look lopsided.  How about for the top image align it left so that the text will then be to the right of that delicious looking burger -- and above the fold too? 

For the rest of the photos maybe use a smaller size that so they can then be in one row -- again making the page more condensed with less scrolling.  You could also have a slider or scroll bar that folks can go through with photos of all of the burgers too -- of course including calls to action telling them exactly what you want them to do next.

HTH!

Judith
    "I never lose. Either I win or I learn." ~ Me

Thank you for the kind words @Muse!

All the left justified images look lopsided.  How about for the top image align it left so that the text will then be to the right of that delicious looking burger -- and above the fold too? 

--> I tried this but for some reason the "Subscribe" button would always jump to underneath the photo, creating a big gap between the email input box and the button. Tried last night to fix that for almost two hours...and then gave up.

For the rest of the photos maybe use a smaller size that so they can then be in one row -- again making the page more condensed with less scrolling.  You could also have a slider or scroll bar that folks can go through with photos of all of the burgers too -- of course including calls to action telling them exactly what you want them to do next.

--> I think the scrolling slider bar thing is beyond my personal HTML skills. I will try making the photos smaller...maybe I'll just create one collage image with captions underneath. That I'm pretty sure I can manage.

Thank you so much for the input! I am already starting to see more conversions, by the way, just since yesterday. You guys are THE BEST. 🙂

---

Just wanted to give another shout-out to all the people in this thread who have given me feedback. I think the landing page looks a ton better, don't you?

And more important...I've gotten a half-dozen new subscribers just in the past 24 hours. AND I now have a new template for the next time I want to create a piece of content to build my mailing list.

Thank you, everyone!

---

Excellent, Erika!  It looks sooooo much better -- great job! 😉

Judith
    "I never lose. Either I win or I learn." ~ Me

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

I'm late on this and reading through the thread I infer that there has been a couple of iterations since you first posted? One thing I wanted to point out is that your page doesn't seem to be optimized for mobile? I mean the page looks great, it is responsive and scales nicely but it is a bit long and heavy for mobile? I suspect that since 2014 mobile usage has multiplied immensely?

Ordinarily I would say great job with the mobile but you noted that you are promoting on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and I a good majority of people there are probably using the app (almost exclusively on Instagram). I would suggest that you scale the page back. Maybe lose the footer and lean up the widgets to the important ones? Certainly on this page you don't need two "Free Recipe Book" links? I suspect that you are using one widget bar for your entire website? Maybe look at a widget like Widget Logic or WP Page Widget to help you lean down your widgets per page/post? You can of course use CSS to hide a footer for a specific page or post.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

@rd wrote:

...Maybe lose the footer and lean up the widgets to the important ones? Certainly on this page you don't need two "Free Recipe Book" links? I suspect that you are using one widget bar for your entire website? Maybe look at a widget like Widget Logic or WP Page Widget to help you lean down your widgets per page/post? You can of course use CSS to hide a footer for a specific page or post.

Thank you @rd for your input! The person who helped me set up my website did use some widget logic, so I don't have exactly the same widget bar on every page, but I myself don't know how to configure the logic for that widget so that it doesn't appear on this particular page. I agree that it's not needed. I will head into WP to try to figure it out tonight. However, I just tested it on mobile and it didn't take too long to load...so at worst it's duplicative content, right? Not actually offensive in any way?

---

I don't think that the load time is outrageous, presumably people are on 4G I've been doing websites long enough that we had to consider load time on different dialup speeds. Now it's pretty much the same thing with mobile speeds and there are some people with less than optimal mobile connections but I wouldn't worry much about that. My issue on mobile is more about scrolling than load speed but that could just be me. I mean if it is a standard webpage viewed on mobile that is properly responsive that is one thing. If it is a page made for mobile users to hit then you could trim it down?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Hi @NotKetchup!,

All have made some great suggestions!  Here's an idea and I hope you don't mind that I made a quick graphic for the occasion.  Basically, its based in the principle of needing emotion to set the stage for the close and call to action.  Here is a picture that you might consider (and certainly ok if you don't use it!) trying.  Having bought the Smoky Date...

Hope this helps!

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

James, I would give you 100 kudos if I could for that! I love it!

---