cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Hide my site from Google Search

Hello I am trying to hide my page from Google search. I don't want to password protect it or make it private. Any suggestions? Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@azguy32 

You can put that robots.txt folder at any level. If you put it in the root of the main site and instead of the * you put /second-domain.com/ it will block google from getting there if by chance you have a link of http://primarydomain.com/second-domain.com 

Google Spiders by links on your site, not the actual file structure 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Super User IV

@azguy32 

You would need to create a robots.txt file with 

User-agent: Googlebot
Disallow: *

This will block google from spidering your entire site.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Is it possible to do it for just a folder which is for another domain? Thanks

@azguy32 

You can put that robots.txt folder at any level. If you put it in the root of the main site and instead of the * you put /second-domain.com/ it will block google from getting there if by chance you have a link of http://primarydomain.com/second-domain.com 

Google Spiders by links on your site, not the actual file structure 

View solution in original post

So my main site www.mainsite.com. I don't care if that is hidden or not but I want www.johnsmith.com (fake domain) to be hidden from google and this it is my main site in a folder called johnsmith. When I search my name John Smith it pops up and I want it to be hidden.

@azguy32 

Can you take a screen shot of your file manager - you may have to request for google to de-list the site as well

Capture.JPG

@azguy32 

So a couple things 

1) It looks like you are using the legacy Linux hosting - at some point this will be migrated to cPanel

2) So whichever folder you want hidden (where this other domain is pointed to) that is where you would put the robots.txt file and then you can also submit to google to have the site de-listed

You can hide your page from Google and other search engines by enabling the Hide from Search Engine" feature. Go to Settings, hit Advanced, then go to Privacy and tick HIDE from Search Engine". Click "Update" to make sure you save the changes.